2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

3 minutes ago, Dragon_ChemBio said:

For anyone with Stanford interviews, have you gotten an e-mail regarding visit logistics?

Mine was Stanford genetics, they told us we'd get an e-mail about logistics early next week, but this was clearly a form letter sent all at once.

1 hour ago, Pepperoni said:

why's that? and i see..

I also believe that UChicago Cancer Bio has sent out invites in Dec. I saw a DP in the result database posted saying "Interview via E-mail on 29 Dec 2016", and also someone's signature saying he/she got a interview.  I already gave up on my side, but maybe (and hopefully) I'm wrong.

7 minutes ago, MCF10A said:

I also believe that UChicago Cancer Bio has sent out invites in Dec. I saw a DP in the result database posted saying "Interview via E-mail on 29 Dec 2016", and also someone's signature saying he/she got a interview.  I already gave up on my side, but maybe (and hopefully) I'm wrong.

I got my invitation on Dec 15th last year.

1 hour ago, Bioenchilada said:

I got my invitation on Dec 15th last year.

wow that was pretty darn early. I didn't count on Uchicago cancer bio anyway. It only takes (at most) one international every year, common theme for cancer bio programs.

Just curious if top tier schools generally have their interviews earlier than mid/lower ranked ones? Most people posting here seem to be getting invites from ivy leagues and top ranked places. I don't see many people getting responses from mid tier ones like Purdue, Rutgers, Iowa, Michigan State etc. Do they usually send out invites later or are people not excited enough to post about them :P

I have one interview invite but most of my mid tier schools don't seem to have started sending out invites.

24 minutes ago, abcd1 said:

Just curious if top tier schools generally have their interviews earlier than mid/lower ranked ones? Most people posting here seem to be getting invites from ivy leagues and top ranked places. I don't see many people getting responses from mid tier ones like Purdue, Rutgers, Iowa, Michigan State etc. Do they usually send out invites later or are people not excited enough to post about them :P

I have one interview invite but most of my mid tier schools don't seem to have started sending out invites.

Which Purdue program did you apply to? 

PS. As a Purdue graduate, I was trying to be helpful @kevinrhinoceros

Edited by Bioenchilada

6 minutes ago, abcd1 said:

I have interviews from end of January (Harvard) to early and mid March (Stanford and MIT). I think people likely aren't posting about those type of programs because fewer people apply or those people aren't type A enough to be on this website :D

16 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Which Purdue program did you apply to? 

Applied to the PULSE program

15 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

I have interviews from end of January (Harvard) to early and mid March (Stanford and MIT). I think people likely aren't posting about those type of programs because fewer people apply or those people aren't type A enough to be on this website :D

Haha. I doubt fewer people apply to these programs because the ivy leagues can only accommodate so many people. More likely there are fewer people like me on the website who didn't apply to top ranked places. The rest of us mortals have to go somewhere too :)

8 minutes ago, abcd1 said:

Applied to the PULSE program

Haha. I doubt fewer people apply to these programs because the ivy leagues can only accommodate so many people. More likely there are fewer people like me on the website who didn't apply to top ranked places. The rest of us mortals have to go somewhere too :)

Based on the result thread, most interview invites are offered during mid January. If it's similar to undergrad, then I guess the time they take to get back to you is contigent upon when you submitted your app. I really liked Purdue, so don't hesitate to ask me questions, if any! :D 

Undergrad Institution: University of Dhaka, Bangladesh ( Its the top university of my country)
Major(s):Microbiology
CGPA in Bachelor: 3.86
CGPA in Masters : 3.79
Position in Class: Top in Bachelor but near top in Masters.
Type of Student: South Asian, Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V: 151
W:3.5
B: Not going to take

TOEFL Total: 107 (R-29, L-27, W-28 & S-23)

Research Experience: worked 1 year as a research fellow at immunology lab at my university; 4 months as senior research assistant in ICDDR,B ( International Center

for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh)

No publication :(

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Enlisted in the Dean's list for 4 years of Bachelor degree, University stipend for Bachelor degree result, National Science and Technology

fellowship from Ministry of Science and Technology

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Serving as a Lecturer in dept. of Microbiology at Primeasia University from October, 2015 and still continuing.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: International Duke of Edinburgh Award (Bronze)

Special Bonus Points: I've managed several good recommenders who I acknowledge highly in biological science.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to where: 

1. University of Missouri

2. Saint Louis University

3. Tulane University

4.Goergia State University

5. West Virginia University

6.Southern Illinois University-Carbondale

7.East Carolina University

8. University of Central Florida

9.SUNY-upstate

10. SUNY-downstate 

Edited by NXPH2108

On 1/1/2017 at 0:17 PM, Bioenchilada said:

Not getting an interview is pretty much equivalent to getting rejected. However, some schools send their invites in waves. If more people than anticipated decline interviews, they might send more, but the likelihood of doing is really low at top schools. Schools typically admit more people than the expected class size. If the yield is unexpectedly low, the school will just deal with a smaller cohort rather than interviewing more people. 

For the schools that admit without interview, this is probably due to the fact that they operate this way rather than admitting the strongest candidate. The best candidate will still have to interview at schools that require an interview. 

Have a happy new years, and I hope you get good news soon! 

Thank you for your response! That all makes sense, and hopefully I hear from other schools now. I had a few that were January deadlines, and some of my December deadline schools stated that they begin application reviews in January, so fingers crossed!

Happy new year!

7 hours ago, Cryptochrometime said:

The NYU sackler interview is this upcoming weekend... has anyone received a schedule ? 

I have only received info on my travel arrangements and hotel. Im visiting the 26-28th. 

Anyone know when CU-Boulder will invite people for interviews? I applied to the IQ Biology Program, I just got an interview to CWRU/lerner institute for molecular medicine, but IQ bio is my top choice. I have to let CWRU know tomorrow about their interview weekend (Feb 16-18). Problem is the IQ Bio interview weekend is also Feb 16-18..

6 hours ago, biowligist said:

Anyone know when CU-Boulder will invite people for interviews? I applied to the IQ Biology Program, I just got an interview to CWRU/lerner institute for molecular medicine, but IQ bio is my top choice. I have to let CWRU know tomorrow about their interview weekend (Feb 16-18). Problem is the IQ Bio interview weekend is also Feb 16-18..

I'm having trouble finding much CU Boulder info on the survey. I believe their EEB interviews are that weekend as well? Hoping to hear something soon.

1 hour ago, dustonthedash said:

I'm having trouble finding much CU Boulder info on the survey. I believe their EEB interviews are that weekend as well? Hoping to hear something soon.

same. it doesn't seem like any gradcafe folks have heard back from there

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:14 PM, MCF10A said:

wow that was pretty darn early. I didn't count on Uchicago cancer bio anyway. It only takes (at most) one international every year, common theme for cancer bio programs.

ahh that's heartbreaking

On the east coast waiting for these west coast schools to send interview invites today, and then realizing they probably just got to the office.......

Sigh anyone hear from Stanford Biochem yet tho? They are suppose to begin emailing/contacting today:unsure:

BTW, on the website for UChicago it says that until you receive a decision from the program, you are still under consideration (even if you haven't received an interview invite, which you'll obviously need to have at some point). Has anyone received an invite AFTER the first round was sent out, and ultimately was accepted that way?

50 minutes ago, KR Marksmen said:

On the east coast waiting for these west coast schools to send interview invites today, and then realizing they probably just got to the office.......

Sigh anyone hear from Stanford Biochem yet tho? They are suppose to begin emailing/contacting today:unsure:

I think @inadequate got Stanford Biochem in December.