2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

31 minutes ago, jumanji5a said:

I think I saw somewhere that the different programs under the umbrella of biosciences process their applications separately - so someone receiving an invite from one program hopefully doesn't mean all the invites for other subprograms are out (at least that's what I'm hoping!)

48 minutes ago, prospectivegrad1 said:

Stanford Biosciences sent out their invites already?

I got an email interview invite from the specific umbrella program director (Stem Cell/Regen Medicine) before the New Year and he explicitly said, and I quote:

"The 14 Home Program Admissions Committees all operate on their own timelines, so your friends and coworkers may or may not have heard from another Biosciences Program. Please understand that "no news does not mean bad news", as many Programs do not complete their admission process until the 2nd week of January. So, please keep this in mind when sharing your good news with others."

Hey all. Unsure of which forum to post to, but mostly applied to biology programs that have biophysics, so figured here was best! Is anyone else applying to biophysics programs as well?

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts college
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s): Genomics
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: Top third
Type of Student: Domestic male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 163
V: 161
W: 5.0
B: X

Research Experience: 

-Small research project doing computational physics (1 mo)

-Physics research on x-ray technology (2 mo)

-Research based genomics class on gene expression changes (1 semester)

-Synthetic biology research (3 mo)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: X

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

-Former VP of my fraternity

-Various volunteering opportunities

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: X

Special Bonus Points:

-1 well-known recommender

-NC State connections

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

-1 great LOR, 2 strong

Applying to Where:
Johns Hopkins (CMDB, Biophysics), UCSF iPQB (Biophysics), UVA BIMS (Biophysics), UNC BBSP (Biophysics), UIUC (Biophysics), Duke (BME), UNC/NC State (BME), NC State (Genomics)

Interviews: Johns Hopkins (12/6), UNC BBSP (12/14), UVA BIMS (12/15)

1 hour ago, dragonzz said:

Still have not received anything about travel arrangements from Weill Cornell. Lol, anyone else has the same experience?

I got an email about it today! (around 5pm EST)

Edited by dudwns217

1 hour ago, nile red said:

It is still early! Additionally, if you really are worried, there are a few nice programs that are still accepting applications (obv. I don't know where you've applied lol). Baylor's app is free and is extended to Jan 9th.

I applied to upenn, emory, uva, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, penn state Hershey, vcu, Rutgers, temple, roswell park. lol, I'm not going to lie some my LOR just submitted the last one to some just a few days ago. but I'm more worried about the ones that were completed in December.

59 minutes ago, spiffscience said:

I got an email interview invite from the specific umbrella program director (Stem Cell/Regen Medicine) before the New Year and he explicitly said, and I quote:

"The 14 Home Program Admissions Committees all operate on their own timelines, so your friends and coworkers may or may not have heard from another Biosciences Program. Please understand that "no news does not mean bad news", as many Programs do not complete their admission process until the 2nd week of January. So, please keep this in mind when sharing your good news with others."

1 hour ago, jumanji5a said:

I think I saw somewhere that the different programs under the umbrella of biosciences process their applications separately - so someone receiving an invite from one program hopefully doesn't mean all the invites for other subprograms are out (at least that's what I'm hoping!)

Phew~

8 minutes ago, dragonzz said:

How did they say? Is that from the coordinator or the travel agent? Thanks for help!

From the travel agent! They just asked me to send my info. 

12 hours ago, nile red said:

Has anybody heard from Duke Molecular Cancer Bio? I know they kept extending their deadline until very recently...

I received their invitation email right before Christmas (Dec 23rd). I submitted my application in Nov so might get reviewed in the first batch. Hope they are sending more on the way and good luck!

8 hours ago, MCF10A said:

I received their invitation email right before Christmas (Dec 23rd). I submitted my application in Nov so might get reviewed in the first batch. Hope they are sending more on the way and good luck!

have you heard from weill cornell about the travel arrangements?

Thank you!

8 hours ago, MCF10A said:

Awesome, thanks for the update. And congrats on the interview invite!

3 hours ago, dragonzz said:

have you heard from weill cornell about the travel arrangements?

Thank you!

Yeah i received a email from the travel agency on Wed. I guess you can either give it more days, or just call ur program coordinator?

24 minutes ago, MCF10A said:

Yeah i received a email from the travel agency on Wed. I guess you can either give it more days, or just call ur program coordinator?

Thanks for your information!

Godd luck for the interview. 

23 hours ago, cancergirl said:

Thanks!! Does your application say if its been reviewed tho?

I will let you know as soon as i can when my laptop is working again. Right now, it's having some issues. 

15 minutes ago, britmact said:

i haven't heard anything about travel from them yet either, so they might just be sending them out slowly

Then I'm relived! How do they tell you about your interview conflict? Do you reschedule it to alternative date?

8 minutes ago, dragonzz said:

Then I'm relived! How do they tell you about your interview conflict? Do you reschedule it to alternative date?

yes! i rescheduled to the february interview date