2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

1 minute ago, fitzgradschool said:

Just got an email from Emory graduate coordinator... She told me I was the #1 spot on their waitlist. I assume this means for an interview spot? What does this mean for me?

Did you apply to the Emory GMB program?

3 minutes ago, fitzgradschool said:

Just got an email from Emory graduate coordinator... She told me I was the #1 spot on their waitlist. I assume this means for an interview spot? What does this mean for me?

• for the cancer bio?

10 minutes ago, dragonzz said:

Anyone hear from Northwestern IBiS program? Never see a report. 

I received an invite from them a week before Christmas. Note that I submitted my application a day before it was due.

Edited by Dragon_ChemBio

1 hour ago, Dragon_ChemBio said:

I received an invite from them a week before Christmas. Note that I submitted my application a day before it was due.

Thanks for update! I'm international and have not heard anything. 

If you're doing one plane trip for multiple interviews, is there a preference on which institution to have pay for it? I'm just wondering because I'm doing the UCSF-Berkeley-Stanford swing and idk who to book with, if it matters at all.

Also does anyone have any idea what the schedule is for the Biosciences weekend? Trying to plan how/when to leave.

32 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

If you're doing one plane trip for multiple interviews, is there a preference on which institution to have pay for it? I'm just wondering because I'm doing the UCSF-Berkeley-Stanford swing and idk who to book with, if it matters at all.

Also does anyone have any idea what the schedule is for the Biosciences weekend? Trying to plan how/when to leave.

I think UCSF/Stanford can split costs, not sure about Berkeley.

They just sent me an e-mail regarding logistics (I'm in CSB). The last day of events is on Sat, March 4. At least for my home program, there are faculty talks from 10am-2pm, after which there are shuttles to the airport until 7pm.

Edited by Dragon_ChemBio

Having a freak out about applications pretty much!!! I am from the UK and did not realise how competitive these programmes are......... 

I applied to

NYU Sackler (rejected)

Washington Microbiology

Tufts Sackler Microbiology (molecular I think)

Stony Brook Molecular Microbiology

(I was desperate to go to rockefeller but I judged it too competitive)

My GRE were verbal- 162 quantitative- 157 and analytical- 5.5

I had a year in industry doing research as part of my degree, and got grant funding to conduct my own experiments, won an award for being the top of my year in micro, but seems like it isn't enough

Do you think that the differences in course might result in my rejections? I am on a 1st (above 70% here) which is equal to 4.0gpa but I have only done degree courses in micro/genetics so maybe they don't think I will qualify idk

13 hours ago, cancergirl said:

has anyone heard from penn state Hershey, but recently submitted all their materials like 1 or 2 weeks agoo.

Sounds like we applied to a lot of the same schools.  I have interviews at Penn State in early Feb (rescheduled from another date that i could not make),

49 minutes ago, cuteDr22 said:

Sounds like we applied to a lot of the same schools.  I have interviews at Penn State in early Feb (rescheduled from another date that i could not make),

I have interview also in Penn State early Feb!

14 hours ago, Cryptochrometime said:

Stanford is killing me. I have never refreshed my email so often before. Has anyone received Stanford interview for microbiology? 

I got an email from them Dec 16th so my guess is they are done, sorry :/

2 hours ago, cuteDr22 said:

did you receive an email recently or a while back?

On 1/9/2017 at 4:02 PM, britmact said:

rockefeller!! 

On 1/9/2017 at 4:06 PM, desmond.bo said:

Same here!!!

On 1/9/2017 at 4:08 PM, Actin said:

Just got an invite from Rockefeller as well! Really excited!

On 1/9/2017 at 4:25 PM, cosiva said:

Me too ? but followed up with good news – an invite from Rockefeller!

Congrats you guys! Were you given a choice between the two weekends, or were you assigned one?

So my mentor from my masters degree did not submit my letter of rec to a program that was due on Jan 1st yet. I just called them and told them that I was contacting him ASAP to see why and to ask him to submit it.

The grad admissions administrator told me that it is not a big deal, they are already reviewing and that everything is in already so not to worry about it. She said it was "okay" that only two were in, makes me really nervous. I still want him to submit it, my research is amazing, my grades are OK.. this could make a big difference. Do you think they will even look at it if they receive it almost two weeks late?

8 minutes ago, biowligist said:

So my mentor from my masters degree did not submit my letter of rec to a program that was due on Jan 1st yet. I just called them and told them that I was contacting him ASAP to see why and to ask him to submit it.

The grad admissions administrator told me that it is not a big deal, they are already reviewing and that everything is in already so not to worry about it. She said it was "okay" that only two were in, makes me really nervous. I still want him to submit it, my research is amazing, my grades are OK.. this could make a big difference. Do you think they will even look at it if they receive it almost two weeks late?

Man, that's rough. I'm sorry you're dealing with that! Super stressful. My naive feeling is that you might as well? Then they would have it on file in case they were feeling generous enough to go back and look at it, or were revisiting documents to decide between a few candidates post-interview.

Since this is a letter related to your MSc, I imagine this is one of your most important letters? No harm in having it on file just in case?

8 minutes ago, biowligist said:

Obv. it's better if everything is in on time, but it's my understanding that adcoms recognize that PIs are really busy (since they are PIs themselves) and will generally be forgiving of this, given everything else is in order. If you are competitive/look like a good fit with everything else, they may hold off reviewing you until it gets in. Ultimately this part is out of your control and all you can do is hope for the best!

9 minutes ago, Nomad1111 said:

Man, that's rough. I'm sorry you're dealing with that! Super stressful. My naive feeling is that you might as well? Then they would have it on file in case they were feeling generous enough to go back and look at it, or were revisiting documents to decide between a few candidates post-interview.

Since this is a letter related to your MSc, I imagine this is one of your most important letters? No harm in having it on file just in case?

yeah it is possibly the most important part of my whole application, my gpa from undergrad is right above a 3.... But my research is truly on point and exciting, getting a first author in a top tier journal this year.

8 minutes ago, nile red said:

Obv. it's better if everything is in on time, but it's my understanding that adcoms recognize that PIs are really busy (since they are PIs themselves) and will generally be forgiving of this, given everything else is in order. If you are competitive/look like a good fit with everything else, they may hold off reviewing you until it gets in. Ultimately this part is out of your control and all you can do is hope for the best!

I hope so, the lady i spoke to didn't sound like she cared very much, hopefully he will get it in today, I'll give her a call back and tell her how much it means to me, she said they would be sending out interview invites at the end of this month... hopefully you are right.

Thanks for the reply folks