2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

For people who got invites to Emory's cancer program, feel free to PM me and ask about any of the professors or labs or other info regarding the program.

I've been working in a cancer lab there for a while now and personally know several professors and have some insights(from classes and grad-student stories) on the others too.

28 minutes ago, RaganSmash said:

Does anything know anything about University of Washington Immunology?

Waiting on them too...I don't think anyone on here heard  from them yet

2 hours ago, CozyEnzymes said:

I applied to UW Madison. I've heard they're having some financial troubles recently and that some faculty are leaving. Personally it was still somewhere I was interested in, so I figured I'd still apply and I was invited for an interview. I'm in biochemistry if it makes a difference. 

Yes, they just lost two of their biggest Chem Bio professors (Ron Raines/Laura Kiessling) and they're set to lose more from what I have heard (a previous member of my lab is a post doc in Kiessling's lab). I would advise looking elsewhere for a PhD.

51 minutes ago, Kinetic Isotope Defect said:

Yes, they just lost two of their biggest Chem Bio professors (Ron Raines/Laura Kiessling) and they're set to lose more from what I have heard (a previous member of my lab is a post doc in Kiessling's lab). I would advise looking elsewhere for a PhD.

Really? Madison is my top choice right now (Microbiology) so that's disheartening to hear. 

58 minutes ago, Kinetic Isotope Defect said:

Really? Wow, that sucks big time. Good to know though, definitely something that will weigh in my decision.

7 minutes ago, myhairtiebroke said:

Really? Madison is my top choice right now (Microbiology) so that's disheartening to hear. 

Awww I was sad to read this. :( What are some of your other top choices at the moment? 

3 hours ago, PRR said:

Waiting on them too...I don't think anyone on here heard  from them yet

Yeah. Do you think it's just that no one here got an invitation this year or that they are later sending them out? I don't want to reach out to the program because I've been in their ear for a long time now already, haha.

29 minutes ago, CozyEnzymes said:

Awww I was sad to read this. :( What are some of your other top choices at the moment? 

Berkeley, and Cornell. I haven't heard from Berkeley, and there's a couple entries on the results search so I'm guessing I didn't get it.

I did get an invite from Madison, so I'll still visit. Is there an elegant way to ask about the financial situation? On an individual level, I doubt the program or a professor will take on more students than they can fund, but I am worried about the education quality declining if professors are leaving.

13 minutes ago, STEMC said:

Just want to provide some interviews dates I have received. I am an international student with US degree. Anyone know if they process international students' app later than domestic students?

Here are mine:

USC PIBBS (interview E-mail received last Friday): 1/18-1/20. 

UCSB MCDB (interview E-mail received Tuesday): 2/3-2/6.

NYU Sackler (interview E-mail this Morning Thursday): 1/26-1/27.

I've also applied Weill Cornell and Icahn at Mount Sinai but still not hear anything from them :( . Hope they will eventually come.

And does anyone know what is the ranking of NYU Sackler for Biomedical/Biological Sciences? It's not in the US news...

I don't think US News ranking (and any other rankings in general) matters that much. As long as there are several PIs in the program that you'd love to work with, you should be good to go. NYU Sackler is a great program. Congrats on your interviews!

2 minutes ago, myhairtiebroke said:

Berkeley, and Cornell. I haven't heard from Berkeley, and there's a couple entries on the results search so I'm guessing I didn't get it.

I also haven't heard from Berkeley yet, but it looks like only a few people have. I'm wondering if they've sent out all of the invites? I know the official email is set to come on Jan 3 but some people have gotten "unofficial" calls from professors. I'm debating whether or not it would come off as super annoying if I emailed the program coordinator about this, it just confuses me because it seems like not enough people got the "unofficial" invites, which gives me a shred of hope that more invites are still to come lol.

3 minutes ago, MCF10A said:

I don't think US News ranking (and any other rankings in general) matters that much. As long as there are several PIs in the program that you'd love to work with, you should be good to go. NYU Sackler is a great program. Congrats on your interviews!

Thanks for the info! I am just curious, and yes there are PIs that I am very interested!

5 minutes ago, vnatch said:

I also haven't heard from Berkeley yet, but it looks like only a few people have. I'm wondering if they've sent out all of the invites? I know the official email is set to come on Jan 3 but some people have gotten "unofficial" calls from professors. I'm debating whether or not it would come off as super annoying if I emailed the program coordinator about this, it just confuses me because it seems like not enough people got the "unofficial" invites, which gives me a shred of hope that more invites are still to come lol.

Which Berkeley program? For Berkeley MCB I think this is just how they do it, I got a follow-up e-mail from the professor who called me, so i think it serves the same purpose as form e-mails. It's also not a massive program, so the number of people on this site that applied might be low. My guess is they handed it out to all the professors and they did them late last week/early this week :( sorry!

8 minutes ago, vnatch said:

Lol, I'm holding onto the same though tbh. However, the past couple years seem to only have these unofficial phone invitations. Additionally, Berkeley's microbio interview dates are Jan 19-22 (from the application) - which seems fairly short notice for a Jan 3 official invitation. I'm inclined to think the phone calls are for the sake of logistics and planning. But what do I know. We won't know for sure until early Jan.

@Epigenetics I applied to Microbiology, but I'm sure what you said applies.

Edited by myhairtiebroke

10 minutes ago, vnatch said:

I called their office and they told me to call back if I hadn't heard back by Mid-January so that was vague lol. The MCB website says it's rolling so there's that to keep in mind

Yeah, I just tried emailing them but the graduate affairs office is closed for break. They did say that all invites will be sent between Jan. 3-6, so I'm not sure why they would say this if all of them were already sent? Maybe this is more wishful thinking...

7 hours ago, Katyya said:

I'm sure you can skip housing tour and lunch. Mount Sinai says dinner and escape room thing on the second day and the housing tour are all optional. 

So that means Weill is probably done sending invites :( breaks my heart

When I called, they said interviews would be sent by Friday. They might still send them tomorrow! 

Thought I'd throw my update out there:

UPenn CAMB/Cancer - waiting

Pitt IBGP/Cell and Molecular Pathology - Interview March 3

Tufts Sackler/Biomedical - waiting

UChicago Biomedical/Cancer - waiting

OHSU Cancer Bio - Rejected

UW (Seattle) MCB - waiting

UCSD Biomedical - waiting

UCI Biomedical Gateway Cell and Molecular - Interview Jan 26 (got this offer even before they sent out their "hey, we're reviewing apps" email lol)

Temple - not even due till Feb 15 lol (thinking they won't have interviews? that's why it's at the bottom)

Emailed UPenn, Chicago and UW to see if they're done sending invites. I'll update with that when/if I know.