2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

20 minutes ago, BasicBinImmunology said:

Is it safe to say that Sloan Kettering BMS is done sending out invites? It seems like everyone who has posted their results were notified on the 15th. 

I'm afraid so, also didn't make the cut

4 hours ago, ylee932 said:

Same here. I called them and they said they're not planning to have more interview weekends at this moment....SERIOUSLY!?!?!?

I also got invitation from UCLA, and it's going to be 1/20 and 1/21..... I'm thinking to accept the USC's invitation and only attend Thursday event (campus tour, interview with faculty members, and lunch/dinner with grad students and professors). Friday is poster session and social with grad students. I don't know that would hurt me if I'm not showing up on Friday :/

Congrats on UCLA! Which department did you apply to?! Omg I haven't heard from them yet. Maybe we'll see each other at PIBBS interview weekend.

3 hours ago, eyesandheart said:

I am interviewing at UVA BIMS as well, but on January 12th. Their email made it sound as though they accept a small percentage of their interviewees, but I heard from some people who applied and got in last year but did not attend that most everyone they met at interview weekends did get in. IDK how accurate that is.

what department?

1 hour ago, Browncoat5871 said:

Also, not sure if anyone is applying to the Rutgers GSBS, but they say official invites will be sent out the first week of January.  

I thought to be considered for recruitment day, apps need to be in by jan 3?

4 hours ago, LadyScientist said:

It seems like a lot of the schools that have released the majority of their invites are on the East coast thus far, right?  I'm waiting for West coast programs...

- USC : PIBBS
- USC : NGP
- UCSF : BMS
- Stanford : BioSciences
- UW : MCB

I have not heard anything from the programs I have applied to yet and I feel slightly sick to my stomach. And hearing that everyone else has been getting invites from their schools has me really nervous :(

I heard back from USC pibbs on Friday. However, my friend who's already in the program said he heard back in mid January. That was last year. So I'm sure they'll keep sending invitations. 

I also applied to UCSF developmental and stem cell bio. Idk if that's part of PIBS or BMS ( a little confused). But the program director said they would send emails tomorrow. Idk if he was referring to DSCB only though. 

3 hours ago, pepmochaa said:

Same boat as you :/ I was thinking about emailing them in a few days just to see. I hate how schools don't just email you a rejection if you're not selected to interview. >:(

Hey @LadyScientist and @pep mocha,

In terms of West Coast interviews I'm on the same boat as you guys. My perspective is this:

- Some professors/programs will offer interview invite hella early, but only if you got lucky and they happen to LOVE your application (but it doesn't mean you're not a competitive applicant). IMO, those who have received interview invites are not only based on their competitive application, but also on having the right person reading your application, and them really liking the fit. However, I highly doubt you are out of the game yet.

- Example: My UC Davis Immunology application was submitted last Thursday, and I was offered an interview invite today/Monday. That is before the program has had the "Meeting" to review the main batch of applicants. My guess is that someone felt like I was a good fit. Many others here have received UC Berkeley MCB professor phone calls, and I believe their situation could fall into the same trend of them being a really great fit for a specific program/lab.

- However, I am also waiting on UCSF, UCLA, and UCSD.

-If you think of it like Dating Dynamics, if you meet someone and totally click after 5 minutes, then you DEFINITELY will get a 2nd date. It's not your stats, not your "hard criteria" lol, but just about that perfect fit. However, other times you will meet great people who look amazing on paper, but maybe you hold off a few days before calling them, because you are not feeling that instant "chemistry." However, it does not mean life-long love cannot blossom in the future. ;) Same goes for graduate school interviews and acceptances. 

Keep it strong and breathe. Best of luck to Everyone!

1 hour ago, cancergirl said:

I thought to be considered for recruitment day, apps need to be in by jan 3?

It is, but that's just the deadline.  It might be a rolling admissions type of thing.  Plus, I go there for my masters, so they may have pushed it through early.

2 hours ago, hihello742 said:

Congrats on UCLA! Which department did you apply to?! Omg I haven't heard from them yet. Maybe we'll see each other at PIBBS interview weekend.

I applied to UCLA Bioscience Program. It's an umbrella program and students can rotate at 10 different home areas.

USC just told me Friday events are optional, I do not have to go if I have other interviews. :))))

1 minute ago, Epigenetics said:

Is it kosher to e-mail a program coordinator to ask when interview invites will be sent? Curious if this will get me scorn from the program or not.

I'm scared of this, so I call and just saying I'm a current applicant and ask nicely if they could share the info.

2 hours ago, cancergirl said:

what department?

I'm pretty sure for UVA you just apply to BIMS in general and then when you pick a thesis advisor you become part of their department. If they asked which research disciplines I was most interested in though, I would have said epigenetics/genetics.

Undergrad Institution: (School or type of school, such as big state, lib arts, ivy, technical, foreign (what country?)... Overall Reputation in Biology?)
Major(s): Molecular Biology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.88?
Overall GPA:3.75
Position in Class: Top?
Type of Student: Asian 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:160
V:145
W:3
B: None

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)
UC Santa Cruz, 2 years and a half in an Organic Chemistry Lab. Synthesizing peptides for inhibitors screening

Two publications (second and fifth authors)

One manuscript in prep (third author) and may be the first author for another one.

Presented multiple times in School Conference and in SACNAS national conference. 
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Dean's Honors for many quarter

SACNAS Travel Scholarship

MARC Scholars( Stipend from NIH)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

Two quarter general chemistry tutor

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Female

Few publications

no connection at all=[

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

PHD Biochemistry programs in:
UC Davis (get interview)

University of Michigan (get interview)

University of Washington 

Emory University

University of Wisconsin

University of Virginia