2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:12 AM, Bioenchilada said:

I just called someone in the CAMB office and they told me that not all invites have been sent out. All of the subdivisions still have people that have not been contacted. So, don't give up just yet :) 

this helps a lot. I applied for the cancer bio one and no one has said anything about it on here. I have hope!

9 minutes ago, cancergirl said:

this helps a lot. I applied for the cancer bio one and no one has said anything about it on here. I have hope!

There's a couple people that applied to cancer bio on this thread! (i.e Born-to-pipette) 

The posts are probably scattered between the 14th and the 15th.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:31 AM, ire1 said:

Invited for UPenn CAMB - Cancer Bio WOOOOO

Congrats to everyone for their interviews and hope to see you guys there! :D

do you know if they've sent all or are they going to be in batches?

3 minutes ago, cancergirl said:

do you know if they've sent all or are they going to be in batches?

They started sending invites on the 14th. They said they were going to keep sending them until early next week (?), or until they were done. You could wait till Monday to see if you hear back, or call to see if they got done on Friday.

1 minute ago, Bioenchilada said:

They started sending invites on the 14th. They said they were going to keep sending them until early next week (?), or until they were done. You could wait till Monday to see if you hear back, or call to see if they got done on Friday.

thank you, lol, how do you know so much?! hahah

1 minute ago, cancergirl said:

thank you, lol, how do you know so much?! hahah

I think because of his location...lol

I'm also a cancer girl and applied to Upenn CAMB, waiting as well. Good luck to both of us!

2 hours ago, Epigenetics said:

I realized I never did my little introduction!

I'm applying to: Harvard (Systems Biology), Harvard (BBS), MIT (Biology), Stanford (Biosciences - Genetics), UCSF (TETRAD), UC Berkeley (MCB), and UWashington (Genome Sciences).

Already heard from UCSF (12/15), Harvard BBS (12/16), and Berkeley (12/16). Still waiting on the rest.

I'm actually a computational biologist in an HMS cancer lab, so if you have any questions about Boston or Harvard PhD programs I'm well-versed, about half my lab is BBS and the other half is Chem Bio. Happy waiting to all!

I'm applying to Harvard Chem. Bio. do you have any opinions on the program as a whole, at least from what you're been able to gather working with students in it?

1 minute ago, blankens said:

I'm applying to Harvard Chem. Bio. do you have any opinions on the program as a whole, at least from what you're been able to gather working with students in it?

Bunch of people in my lab are in it, sounds like they all really love it. It's small, like 15 people a year, and rather flexible in terms of what you can do. Also seems to have a rather strong community and advising structure.

2 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

I'm a UPenn Cancer Bio grad student lol

ok. You scared me for a minute. Now tell me, do they typically interview/accept people with low GRE scores but other parts of their application is good?

4 minutes ago, cancergirl said:

ok. You scared me for a minute. Now tell me, do they typically interview/accept people with low GRE scores but other parts of their application is good?

I think that the overall grad process is pretty holistic, and I personally know people with low GREs, so i wouldn't lose hope just because of that. :) 

Edited by Bioenchilada

2 hours ago, openmicrobenight said:

I received an invitation on Friday for the home program I applied to. However, as you said, admissions are home program-based and this is clarified in the email as well. Stanford Biosciences has one single umbrella program interview weekend (March 2-4), but decisions for each respective home program have not all necessarily been finalized yet.

Which home program were you?

37 minutes ago, desi_dude said:

Is it safe to assume all interview invites have been sent out for Mt. Sinai BMS and UNC BBSP? 

I believe all interview invites have been sent out by Mount Sinai.

8 hours ago, desi_dude said:

Is it safe to assume all interview invites have been sent out for Mt. Sinai BMS and UNC BBSP? 

I think UNC BBSP is still sending out interview invites. I received one on 12/16 but I saw someone received the invites much earlier then me. I believe their process is rolling. Good luck!

15 hours ago, Epigenetics said:

I realized I never did my little introduction!

I'm applying to: Harvard (Systems Biology), Harvard (BBS), MIT (Biology), Stanford (Biosciences - Genetics), UCSF (TETRAD), UC Berkeley (MCB), and UWashington (Genome Sciences).

Already heard from UCSF (12/15), Harvard BBS (12/16), and Berkeley (12/16). Still waiting on the rest.

I'm actually a computational biologist in an HMS cancer lab, so if you have any questions about Boston or Harvard PhD programs I'm well-versed, about half my lab is BBS and the other half is Chem Bio. Happy waiting to all!

Not sure if you'll actually know anything about this but I figured I might as well ask since you've lived in Boston for quite some time! I already applied to Harvard and didn't hear back about an interview for the BBS, so I'm assuming it's not going to happen haha. 

I also applied to Tufts Sackler for their microbiology program. So my question is: do you know anything about Tufts Sackler? Like what is the general concensus that you may have heard? Do people tend to like the programs at the Sackler school?

Just asking generally about it and anything you may have heard! Let me know! Thanks!

11 hours ago, desi_dude said:

What sivis said. Mt. Sinai has already sent out all the invites.

Still no word from UPenn... or Yale :( 

3 minutes ago, Katyya said:

Yeah, unfortunately Mount Sinai has quite early interview slots so they no longer release invitations in waves. They've changed their interview process and timing pretty significantly in recent years in a bid to be more competitive with top tier institutions.

I can say that if you attend the interview, you will see they will really try to make you feel at home. Not that other programs don't, maybe I'm a bit biased :D

6 minutes ago, Katyya said:

I 100% believe you, but how do you know that Mt. Sinai is done? Why are you breaking my heart </3 lol

And yeah...I'm waiting on UPenn as well, though I knew it was a long shot.