2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

3 hours ago, hippopotamus said:

During interviews, can we assume that our interviewers have read our statement of purpose?

No. From experience, they are more likely to read one of your letters of recommendation than your statement of purpose and briefly know what you study just to start the conversation. These professors are quite busy and don't have time to read every candidates' SOP and most don't. 

I will say on this note of "are interviews interviews" you can tell so far which programs aren't even pretending and which have some premise of it being an interview and not a recruitment weekend. Harvard BBS called it their "Welcome to Harvard BBS Weekend" for instance. There's some tea leaves there.

34 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

I will say on this note of "are interviews interviews" you can tell so far which programs aren't even pretending and which have some premise of it being an interview and not a recruitment weekend. Harvard BBS called it their "Welcome to Harvard BBS Weekend" for instance. There's some tea leaves there.

That is pretty freaking cute.

Anyone here waiting to hear back from CJ/Criminology programs? I see all these people getting invites to interviews (interview weekends?? They need a whole freaking weekend???!!) but in different disciplines.

Anyone else here basically completely alone in this process??? I have no idea what to expect and neither does anyone I know. All help, even to just calm the nerves, would be much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Bioenchilada said:

It is unrealistic to attend the activities of multiple programs, even within the same school. 

I'm interested in hearing more people's thoughts about this - has anyone interviewed/is planning to interview at two programs at the same school?

Edit to clarify:  I'm thinking of attending two separate weekends, not trying to cram two interview weekends into one

Edited by lmb123

3 minutes ago, lmb123 said:

I'm interested in hearing more people's thoughts about this - has anyone interviewed/is planning to interview at two programs at the same school?

I am hoping to, but they're different weekends. Worth talking to the program though, most programs are literally an afternoon of interviews and then a couple days of fluff and recruitment, so you can probably talk to the programs. I know some programs coordinate this type of thing.

1 minute ago, Epigenetics said:

Was that on the portal or was it in e-mail? Sorry!

1 minute ago, sivis said:

They sent me an email that my status had been updated. Rejection on the portal.

Same an email that said my status had been changed.

13 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

I think Penn BGS already sent all their invites. 

Would it be bad to call/email the BMB coordinator about interview decisions? 

I remember someone asking a similar question about calling etiquette but i can't find it.

7 minutes ago, KR Marksmen said:

Would it be bad to call/email the BMB coordinator about interview decisions? 

I remember someone asking a similar question about calling etiquette but i can't find it.

I don't think it'd be bad. No consequence when you don't identify yourself, really. 

15 minutes ago, MoreInformation said:

I emailed the program; all Harvard BBS invitations were sent by email on December 16. 

Have been fortunate to receive interviews at Hopkins, Yale, Berkeley, and UCSF, but this is definitely disappointing. 

Haha you're pretty much set, chill.

9 minutes ago, Nnnm said:

Does anyone know if UW MCB is done sending invites?

Historically, they only have one or two days where they send out invites and people got their's a couple days ago. I think they're done :\

17 minutes ago, sivis said:

Historically, they only have one or two days where they send out invites and people got their's a couple days ago. I think they're done :\

Wow... Really?  Yikes :( The outlook for admission just keeps getting worse and worse for me, it seems. Damn.

1 minute ago, LadyScientist said:

Wow... Really?  Yikes :( The outlook for admission just keeps getting worse and worse for me, it seems. Damn.

That was just what I gathered from looking at the results page from last year. That being said, there's not really more than 2 or 3 posts per year about interviews, so I can't really be sure. Plus when I called the office, they didn't give me any info on when they were releasing interviews, just the interview dates. Personally, I want to hold out hope because my dream lab is there haha but it looks bleak :( Sorry to be a downer ahhhh