SLP California Applicants Fall 2016

@rainsonata, if you are comfortable with it, would you mind sharing your stats? Trying to map my own application strategy for next cycle! I have a pretty average cumulative gpa, and am wondering if it is even worth it to apply to certain CSU campuses. Congrats on your Radford acceptance!  

44 minutes ago, rainsonata said:

That's what I've been assuming for awhile now since most people who did get interviewed by them was back in February. 

Yeah, I figured the same thing :-( 

2 hours ago, jmk said:

@rainsonata, if you are comfortable with it, would you mind sharing your stats? Trying to map my own application strategy for next cycle! I have a pretty average cumulative gpa, and am wondering if it is even worth it to apply to certain CSU campuses. Congrats on your Radford acceptance!  

I'm very grateful that Radford accepted me.  We'll see if another school accepts me, but until then, Radford is my decision. 

My overall gpa was 3.56 and my slp gpa was roughly the same as that.  I did average on my gre with 151 Verbal, 155 Quantitative, and a 4.0 for Analytical Writing.  From what I heard among classmates, CSUs are competitive and get a lot of applicants every year when their cohorts have somewhere between 15 to 30 students on average.  Although in all fairness, I think California schools are very competitive in general because of how popular they are.  I'm think the same can be said about schools located in more populous states (Washington, New York, etc.). 

I wouldn't apply to only CSUs if you don't feel confident about your stats.  I applied to those schools in my signature because I did my research and I was interested in all of their programs and their average scores were within my range.  I only applied to two CSUs because they're close to where I live and I know that CSULB tends to favor their undergraduates (went there for undergrad).  I'm not sure how it works for other CSUs, but it'll be hard to get in for sure.  You can always use asha's website to compare your scores with theirs and use your judgement on where you want to apply to. 

On March 20, 2016 at 5:13 PM, steveshooman said:

@Jkc25I just accepted yesterday. I haven't heard back from all the schools I applied to, but Pacific was my top choice to begin with. I attended the open house session on 3/18, and my decision was made. Can't wait for August!

Pretty much everyone else I spoke to at the open house said they hadn't decided yet whether to accept or not. I honestly have no idea who my cohort is going to be!

I was at the open house! I'm sure we saw each other though! I know, I am very curious to see who else will be accepting. Are you on Facebook?

Someone should start a facebook group for UoP so we can get familiar with the ppl in our cohort before school starts! =)

has anyone here been accepted to CSU east bay yet? Ive only seen rejections and waitlists on the results page

1 hour ago, SLPBethany said:

Someone should start a facebook group for UoP so we can get familiar with the ppl in our cohort before school starts! =)

has anyone here been accepted to CSU east bay yet? Ive only seen rejections and waitlists on the results page

That's a great idea Bethany!! If I can figure out how to do that I'll post a link here! And I received a rejection from east bay

2 hours ago, SLPBethany said:

i got a waitlist... yeah haven't heard any acceptances.

does anyone know how the waitlist works?

On March 19, 2016 at 3:32 PM, jm1988 said:

From a couple years back on the department website, they used to say something like, "if you haven't heard from us, you weren't accepted, here's the link to your rejection letter." (Which includes a list of reasons why you might've been rejected). You might want to check the website?

oh wow thats harsh of them... well i heard nothing so i guess rejection...?

2 hours ago, Jkc25 said:

I was at the open house! I'm sure we saw each other though! I know, I am very curious to see who else will be accepting. Are you on Facebook?

1 hour ago, SLPBethany said:

@Jkc25 I'm sure we saw each other, too (it was a pretty small group!). I am on Facebook and that's a great idea, @SLPBethany. I also received a rejection from East Bay, as did another student I spoke to at the Open House on Friday.

8 hours ago, SLPBethany said:

That's a great idea Bethany!! If I can figure out how to do that I'll post a link here! And I received a rejection from east bay

6 hours ago, steveshooman said:

@Jkc25 I'm sure we saw each other, too (it was a pretty small group!). I am on Facebook and that's a great idea, @SLPBethany. I also received a rejection from East Bay, as did another student I spoke to at the Open House on Friday.

I made the Facebook group! Please join and share with others who were also accepted? :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1042359669154950/

14 minutes ago, Jkc25 said:

I made the Facebook group! Please join and share with others who were also accepted? :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1042359669154950/

I joined! Thanks for creating the group--looking forward to getting to know the cohort. It feels wonderful to talk about my cohort :).

1 hour ago, jm1988 said:

Received a letter to complete my Certificate of Clearance from San Francisco State! I literally cried tears of joy.

Anyone else get a (preliminary) acceptance from SFSU?

OMG WAIT IN THE MAIL OR EMAIL???

CONGRATSSSS!! I'm still waiting to hear

Edited by SLP4lyfe

20 minutes ago, SLP4lyfe said:

OMG WAIT IN THE MAIL OR EMAIL???

CONGRATSSSS!! I'm still waiting to hear

Thanks @SLP4lyfe ! I hope you hear good news from SFSU soon!

Got it through postal mail today. They attached the steps to complete the CTC application and Live Scan finger prints for the COC.

This was my #1 choice because of their speciality in AAC. Do you have any tips/advice or know how in the whole grad students afford to live in the bay area and attend SFSU? I'm super overwhelmed with rent prices. Its insane haha

1 minute ago, jm1988 said:

Got it through postal mail today. They attached the steps to complete the CTC application and Live Scan finger prints for the COC.

This was my #1 choice because of their speciality in AAC. Do you have any tips/advice or know how in the whole grad students afford to live in the bay area and attend SFSU? I'm super overwhelmed with rent prices. Its insane haha

Congrats!! I'm running to my mailbox!!

it is pretty expensive here in the bay! I could totally help you out with all that, pm me if you like! :) there are some cheaper areas that a bit out of the city!

I also received a Certificate of Clearance from SFSU, but was notified I was put on the wait list along with my attachment of the finger printing and such. I'm ranked number 5, so I really don't know how good or bad that is.

21 minutes ago, jm1988 said:

OMG JSUT CHECKED THE MAIL AND I GOT IN TOO!!! :D FUTURE CLASSMATES!!

2 hours ago, jm1988 said:

Received a letter to complete my Certificate of Clearance from San Francisco State! I literally cried tears of joy.

Anyone else get a (preliminary) acceptance from SFSU?

I did!  I'm so excited!  This was my first choice :)  Congrats!  Have you decided if you'll go?

26 minutes ago, kkasza said:

I also received a Certificate of Clearance from SFSU, but was notified I was put on the wait list along with my attachment of the finger printing and such. I'm ranked number 5, so I really don't know how good or bad that is.

I think 5 is a good thing.  From looking at last year, I saw #12 got in, they just didn't find out until the end of April (I think).  Good luck!  

1 minute ago, SLP4lyfe said:

YAYY!! More Future classmates!! Yes, I am certainly going!! :D are you??

I'm like 95% sure.  It is my first choice.  I kind of want to just like take a day or two for it to sink in, but I'm pretty sure.  The only other place I applied is SJSU (my UG school), and they're not posting for a bit.  It'll be a commute from SJ, so that's pretty much my only hesitation.  I love their program and the professors I've met so far, so I think it's probably worth it :D 

1 minute ago, SpeechieChk said:

I'm like 95% sure.  It is my first choice.  I kind of want to just like take a day or two for it to sink in, but I'm pretty sure.  The only other place I applied is SJSU (my UG school), and they're not posting for a bit.  It'll be a commute from SJ, so that's pretty much my only hesitation.  I love their program and the professors I've met so far, so I think it's probably worth it :D 

WAIT i went to SJSU for my undergrad.... class of 2015... 
I'll have to commute too!! SJSU won't let anyone know until 4/1 form what i heard

Edited by SLP4lyfe

21 minutes ago, SLP4lyfe said:

OMG JSUT CHECKED THE MAIL AND I GOT IN TOO!!! :D FUTURE CLASSMATES!!

10 minutes ago, SpeechieChk said:

I did!  I'm so excited!  This was my first choice :)  Congrats!  Have you decided if you'll go?

Congrats to both of you! So excited to hear other people also got in!! Its my #1 choice and I'm hoping I can figure out the financial part of affording rent in or around SF without spending most of the day traveling via public transportation. Are you all planning to attend SFSU??

44 minutes ago, kkasza said:

Hope you also get in off the waitlist! Best of luck!