SLP California Applicants Fall 2016

29 minutes ago, SpeechieChk said:

I think 5 is a good thing.  From looking at last year, I saw #12 got in, they just didn't find out until the end of April (I think).  Good luck!  

Okay, wow! SFSU is the first school I've heard anything from....so, I'm 50/50. Happy its not a no, but sad it's just more waiting and most of my friends have heard back from all their schools.

Just now, jm1988 said:

Congrats to both of you! So excited to hear other people also got in!! Its my #1 choice and I'm hoping I can figure out the financial part of affording rent in or around SF without spending most of the day traveling via public transportation. Are you all planning to attend SFSU??

Hope you also get in off the waitlist! Best of luck!

Yes, I am totally planning on going there!! :D

2 minutes ago, jm1988 said:

Congrats to both of you! So excited to hear other people also got in!! Its my #1 choice and I'm hoping I can figure out the financial part of affording rent in or around SF without spending most of the day traveling via public transportation. Are you all planning to attend SFSU??

I'm pretty sure.  Just kind of want to sleep on it :)

19 minutes ago, jm1988 said:

Thank you!  I'm pretty sure I am.  I'm in the South Bay (San Jose area), so I'll be commuting.  From the information session I had there, they said they try to keep classes limited to 2 or 3 days per week, so that makes the commute much less intimidating.  If you're thinking of using public transit, I'd recommend trying to be somewhere near a BART station because otherwise getting to SFSU is a little rough.

Edited by SpeechieChk

@jm1988, if you are open to roommates, that is definitely your best bet. I am an undergrad at SFSU (but live an hour away and spend way too much time on public transit, haha). A friend of mine rents an apartment five minutes away from campus- two bedroom for $3,200/month. She shares it with two other students, and despite not having her own place, is very happy with the $$ saved. 

Commuting: the weeks pass quickly and my financial relief drowns out the day to day grind and occasional frustration. I know that rents in the East Bay (farther than Berkeley...I'm talking Walnut Creek/San Ramon) are far cheaper than the city, and still cater socially to young professionals. If I could do my undergrad over, unless I got an inheritance haha, I would still choose to have saved the money I did on rent. Downsides? Commuting gets to be physically, emotionally, and mentally draining at times. Requires much more planning than my classmates. Meanwhile, I still have been able to form meaningful friendships and be actively involved with departmental activities despite my commuter status. 

Overall- I have greatly enjoyed my undergrad experience through the CD program, and wish you luck in finding housing arrangements that suit your need and budget should you attend! I would highly recommend the BART system as well. There is a free shuttle (or you can take a city bus for free as well) that goes directly to campus from the closest BART station. 

1 hour ago, SpeechieChk said:

Thank you!  I'm pretty sure I am.  I'm in the South Bay (San Jose area), so I'll be commuting.  From the information session I had there, they said they try to keep classes limited to 2 or 3 days per week, so that makes the commute much less intimidating.  If you're thinking of using public transit, I'd recommend trying to be somewhere near a BART station because otherwise getting to SFSU is a little rough.

1 hour ago, jmk said:

@jm1988, if you are open to roommates, that is definitely your best bet. I am an undergrad at SFSU (but live an hour away and spend way too much time on public transit, haha). A friend of mine rents an apartment five minutes away from campus- two bedroom for $3,200/month. She shares it with two other students, and despite not having her own place, is very happy with the $$ saved. 

Commuting: the weeks pass quickly and my financial relief drowns out the day to day grind and occasional frustration. I know that rents in the East Bay (farther than Berkeley...I'm talking Walnut Creek/San Ramon) are far cheaper than the city, and still cater socially to young professionals. If I could do my undergrad over, unless I got an inheritance haha, I would still choose to have saved the money I did on rent. Downsides? Commuting gets to be physically, emotionally, and mentally draining at times. Requires much more planning than my classmates. Meanwhile, I still have been able to form meaningful friendships and be actively involved with departmental activities despite my commuter status. 

Overall- I have greatly enjoyed my undergrad experience through the CD program, and wish you luck in finding housing arrangements that suit your need and budget should you attend! I would highly recommend the BART system as well. There is a free shuttle (or you can take a city bus for free as well) that goes directly to campus from the closest BART station. 

Thanks so much for the advice!

Its definitely a lot to take in all at once. I haven't had roommates in quite some time so it'll definitely be an adjustment but hopefully if I choose SFSU, I find some really good ones haha. I definitely don't want to pass up my #1 choice because of financial reasons but I definitely don't want to be drowning in student loans after I graduate.

43 minutes ago, racoomelon said:

Redlands is sending out acceptance letters!

Already?  Omg...I'm so nervous.  I wonder how long it'll take for me to get an email from them.

15 minutes ago, TurboDog15 said:

Who got anything from Redlands?! Still waiting to hear...they emailed and said the last week of the month...

Still waiting for email... Seems like there are people who got acceptance, but no waitlists or rejections so far..

Just wanna hear any results from them!

Will they send out all the results by today? or do we need to wait until the end of this week? 

Seems like they usually send out all the results on a same day but maybe it is different this year?!

23 hours ago, jm1988 said:

yesssss i will def be going there!! are you??

On 3/22/2016 at 9:23 PM, kkasza said:

I also received a Certificate of Clearance from SFSU, but was notified I was put on the wait list along with my attachment of the finger printing and such. I'm ranked number 5, so I really don't know how good or bad that is.

@kkasza I just declined my conditional offer of admission from SFSU, as I've accepted and enrolled at UOP. I'm sure there are others doing likewise--best of luck to you!

@steveshooman

18 minutes ago, steveshooman said:

@kkasza I just declined my conditional offer of admission from SFSU, as I've accepted and enrolled at UOP. I'm sure there are others doing likewise--best of luck to you!

@steveshooman Curious, did you also post on the results page of grad cafe, as well? I just want to make sure I'm accurate because now this would mean two people have declined. Congrats on UOP! So awesome!!!

@kkasza Thanks so much! I'm so excited and know how much it means to get in. I'll be hoping on your behalf that there are four other people who decline SFSU after me!

Yes, I posted on the results page as well. I spent so much time there myself that I figure it's the least I could do for others applying this year and those to come. 

I just received my official letter of acceptance from SFSU and am very excited! I had my fingerprints on file so my COC went really quick.   I'm almost 100% I will attend, just waiting to hear back from a few more CA schools.  Has anyone started a Facebook page for SFSU?  

Edited by SLPwestcoast

16 hours ago, SLP4lyfe said:

yesssss i will def be going there!! are you??

I'm 85% sure I'll be attending!! I did my COC application and fingerprints the same day so hopefully it'll go through quickly. I just want the official admissions recommendation letter haha! The only thing I'm really worried about is having difficulties finding somewhere to live either in the city of surrounding areas because my BF will be moving up also. Most room share ads I've seen are only for single occupancy :unsure:

Anyone got email from Redlands today?

Acceptances, rejections, or waitlists?

I thought I would be able to hear from them(even rejection) today since they started sending out acceptances yesterday, not havent got any email so far...

Wondering what is their plan :( 

6 minutes ago, hanaidn said:

Anyone got email from Redlands today?

Acceptances, rejections, or waitlists?

I thought I would be able to hear from them(even rejection) today since they started sending out acceptances yesterday, not havent got any email so far...

Wondering what is their plan :( 

same here -- i haven't gotten anything. even if its a rejection, i still would like to know a definitive answer instead of my admissions status being up in the air :unsure:

On March 22, 2016 at 1:04 PM, kumapanda said:

Already?  Omg...I'm so nervous.  I wonder how long it'll take for me to get an email from them.

On March 23, 2016 at 5:28 PM, TurboDog15 said:

Who got anything from Redlands?! Still waiting to hear...they emailed and said the last week of the month...

Finally received an email from Redlands - waitlisted. If I'm admitted off the waitlist, I only have 24 hours to respond with my decision. Is this typical of admittance off the waitlist?

13 minutes ago, jm1988 said:

Finally received an email from Redlands - waitlisted. If I'm admitted off the waitlist, I only have 24 hours to respond with my decision. Is this typical of admittance off the waitlist?

This is the first time I heard of this and you can see all the schools that waitlisted me on my signature.  It seems unfair that you're expected to respond within 24 hours before you may not always have instant access to wifi or perhaps you need time to go over your options before making a final decision.

Update: I checked my phone and it says I'm waitlisted too. 

Edited by kumapanda

Hey all!

I am not sure how many people here applied to SJSU, but just in case, and to give people piece of mind I received an e-mail from Diana (coordinator) and she said applicants will know about their decisions by the second week of April. I was really impatient and looking for any kind of news, so I decided to see if she could give me anything to put me at ease! Hope this helps some of you out!

On March 23, 2016 at 1:54 PM, jm1988 said:

I'm 85% sure I'll be attending!! I did my COC application and fingerprints the same day so hopefully it'll go through quickly. I just want the official admissions recommendation letter haha! The only thing I'm really worried about is having difficulties finding somewhere to live either in the city of surrounding areas because my BF will be moving up also. Most room share ads I've seen are only for single occupancy :unsure:

Yeah i'm from the bay so I'm going to commute a bit south of SF. Good luck!\I want the official letter too!

8 hours ago, kkasza said:

Hey all!

I am not sure how many people here applied to SJSU, but just in case, and to give people piece of mind I received an e-mail from Diana (coordinator) and she said applicants will know about their decisions by the second week of April. I was really impatient and looking for any kind of news, so I decided to see if she could give me anything to put me at ease! Hope this helps some of you out!

yeah they are having serious admin issues now, hence the delay... I'm an alumni from the program