SLP California Applicants Fall 2016

Oh! I got the waitlist email today for University of the Redlands that also said that if you are chosen you have only 24 hours... odd

but i guess they are in a time crunch?

13 hours ago, SLP4lyfe said:

yeah they are having serious admin issues now, hence the delay... I'm an alumni from the program

Oh wow! That stinks! Hopefully that all gets sorted out. Thanks for the insight!!

On March 21, 2016 at 2:22 PM, steveshooman said:
15 hours ago, EESpeechie said:

I just declined my offer to UoP. Hopefully this helps someone out here!! 

Good luck!! I am sure someone on the waitlist will be happy!

Just declined my offer to Sacramento State, as I've accepted my admission to University of the Pacific/UOP. Good luck to those on the waitlist at Sac State, and congratulations to those who will be accepting their offers!

Haven't seen many people post about CSUN results so I thought I would share mine. CSUN emailed me Wednesday March 30th with my acceptance letter. I believe they also sent out emails to those who are on the waitlist. Congratulations to everyone that got in and good luck to everyone on the waitlist! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in others folks grad application experiences. I applied with a post-bac from CSULA 2015. Here was mine:

Applied to: PSU, Univ of Oregon, SJSU, SDSU, CSULB, CSULA, CSUN, UT Austin, Univ of Wisconsin, CSUF, San Francisco State.

Accepted: (in this order): Univ of Oregon, SDSU, CSULB, CSUF, CSUN, SJSU. 

Waitlisted: Univ of Wisconsin - Madison, PSU

Rejected: SFSU, UT Austin

I was very excited by San Diego State, but concerned about the cost. Called financial aid to see if they would match an offer from another school - this wasn't an option. Have accepted at CSULB because of the financial aid package and opportunity to be a grad assistant. I also got a good vibe from the faculty - they seem engaged and committed to their students. I was impressed by their interview process: very well organized and I felt like they respected the applicants. 

Originally, I was very excited by SJSU - they have several grant/research opportunities that were very appealing, especially for a smaller state school. Unfortunately, the acceptance letter arrived late (by mail, 2nd week of April). I was accepted into their 3 year extended masters program, which was confusing since I have a post-bac. This, combined with the fact that the chair person seems to have left or been replaced by an interim chair, made me decide against it. Still, I'm impressed with the funding opportunities available here. 

momoSLP44- what were your stats in terms of GPA and GRE? Congrats on your acceptances! I have heard similar stories this season about SJSU. It is definitely making me reconsider applying to their program next year. 

Hi jmk - I got the 92nd percentile for verbal and a 5/6 on the writing. My math score was not so hot -- I'm too embarrassed to share!! Undergrad GPA was a 3.76 and post-bac was 3.86. Last 90 units 3.9. I think it was a combination of strong grades (not a 4.0 though), strong writing skills, and a wealth of work and life experiences that got me in. Plus, I was very strategic about where I applied. 

One thing to consider is how school's calculate your GPA. Some look at undergrad and post-bac GPAs separately. Some only really take into consideration your last 90 quarter units (or last 60 semester).

Also, this goes without saying, but attending the interview in person goes a long way. I couldn't make it to SFSU's interview process, and they told me I most likely wouldn't be considered a top candidate if I didn't attend. And I didn't get accepted :)