No Interviews or Acceptances 2016 VENT HERE!

3 minutes ago, Tish22 said:

I find that the GRE is such a ridiculous test to focus on. A test does not depict the the type of person you are. I have friends who took the GRE, without studying, and straight up killed it. I studied for two months and came out mediocre. Schools should put more emphasis on the person themselvesĀ and not the grades.

I agree 100%!

I already have a M. S. degree no GRE needed. I completed it with a 3.75. My GRE scores mean nothing.

2 minutes ago, rzilby said:

We have to do calculations to get scores and analysis information for patients. I get why math is important, and it's not my strongest subject byĀ any means, but I have prerequisite CSD courses done that have tested me on calculating patient scores and working with numerical data, and I have A's in all of them.Ā 

I just wish I could sit and explain that I commuted 3 hours daily and worked part time during my undergrad, and couldnt take research positions because my semesters were 18-20 credits each :(Ā I'm lacking extra curriculars during my undergrad because I spent 3 hours daily in traffic, and the rest of my time hurrying through assignments to get them done on time. I thought I got good experiences added to my resume during my year out of college, but I guess it's not enough.

Meanwhile, every time I read a textbook talking about assessing patients or working with them to develop a treatment plan, I can't see myself doing anything else. It's heartbreaking. I imagine myself working in a clinic and going through the process, and I pour myself into my studies. But that doesn't carry over when they look at grades from when I was 18-19Ā or GREĀ scores. Or even in a 500 word essay, where they ask you questions that leave very little room to describe those experiences.

I don't know, I think if I don't get in, I have one more year in me to try, but if next year fails, I really don't want to go through this process again. It's just too depressing :(

I know people in the field. Not much if any math is used.

My GRE scores are low but I've taken it twice know and nothing changed I just ended up studying more only to get a disappointment in the end. I don't get how or why these standardized tests are being used to judge success in graduate school. I didn't know we needed to solve for X in SLP.Ā 

1 hour ago, rzilby said:

We have to do calculations to get scores and analysis information for patients. I get why math is important, and it's not my strongest subject byĀ any means, but I have prerequisite CSD courses done that have tested me on calculating patient scores and working with numerical data, and I have A's in all of them.Ā 

I just wish I could sit and explain that I commuted 3 hours daily and worked part time during my undergrad, and couldnt take research positions because my semesters were 18-20 credits each :(Ā I'm lacking extra curriculars during my undergrad because I spent 3 hours daily in traffic, and the rest of my time hurrying through assignments to get them done on time. I thought I got good experiences added to my resume during my year out of college, but I guess it's not enough.

Meanwhile, every time I read a textbook talking about assessing patients or working with them to develop a treatment plan, I can't see myself doing anything else. It's heartbreaking. I imagine myself working in a clinic and going through the process, and I pour myself into my studies. But that doesn't carry over when they look at grades from when I was 18-19Ā or GREĀ scores. Or even in a 500 word essay, where they ask you questions that leave very little room to describe those experiences.

I don't know, I think if I don't get in, I have one more year in me to try, but if next year fails, I really don't want to go through this process again. It's just too depressing :(

Since you are taking online classes at UWEC have you considered applying to their online grad program if you don't get in this year? I have lower stats than you, and take their online post-bacc classes currently, and got accepted. I think the only reason I got accepted, was because they saw I was succeeding in their online program, when not all people are cut-out for online learning. Anyway, I hope you get in this year, it sounds like you deserve it, and you would make a great SLP!Ā 

Ā 

2 minutes ago, ToshaSLP said:

Since you are taking online classes at UWEC have you considered applying to their online grad program if you don't get in this year? I have lower stats than you, and take their online post-bacc classes currently, and got accepted. I think the only reason I got accepted, was because they saw I was succeeding in their online program, when not all people are cut-out for online learning. Anyway, I hope you get in this year, it sounds like you deserve it, and you would make a great SLP!Ā 

Ā 

Well, I actually had an issue with my application so things got confusing. I'm waitlisted for their on-campus program currently, but during the application, they thought I started an online app, so by the time it got sorted out, I didn't have enough time to write a strong SOP or really put in the amount of effort I would have wanted to on the app. I wish I did though, because so far I'm doing pretty well with the courses.Ā 

Out of curiousity, are you taking 353 or 352? I'm in those currently, so idk if you're in the same classes as me by chance.

20 hours ago, rzilby said:

Well, I actually had an issue with my application so things got confusing. I'm waitlisted for their on-campus program currently, but during the application, they thought I started an online app, so by the time it got sorted out, I didn't have enough time to write a strong SOP or really put in the amount of effort I would have wanted to on the app. I wish I did though, because so far I'm doing pretty well with the courses.Ā 

Out of curiousity, are you taking 353 or 352? I'm in those currently, so idk if you're in the same classes as me by chance.

Oh that doesn't sound like a fun situation!Ā No, I'm taking voice and resonance and phonology this semester. Fluency was my favorite class by far though! Have you finished with your prerequisites? If not, maybe that could be the reason you're getting rejections.Ā 

54 minutes ago, ToshaSLP said:

Oh that doesn't sound like a fun situation!Ā No, I'm taking voice and resonance and phonology this semester. Fluency was my favorite class by far though! Have you finished with your prerequisites? If not, maybe that could be the reason you're getting rejections.Ā 

Oh, I think I wanted to take voice and resonance but it was full :(Ā And I haven't but I know my friends who got acceptances had less pre-reqs done than me. So I really think maybe it was the lack of research.Ā 

23 hours ago, rzilby said:

@Arcanelady27Ā @ToshaSLPĀ thanks guys. I really am happy for my friends. I just wish I had a reason to celebrate with them :(Ā Syracuse told me my math GRE score was low. It was my second time taking the exam, and I only got 1 point higher, but my writing went up by 1.5. I can hope I get taken off the list, but it's my second year on it, so it just feels rough :(Ā 

I was accepted, but declined the offer, so I hope that helps you get off the wait list!

40 minutes ago, Kavro said:

I was accepted, but declined the offer, so I hope that helps you get off the wait list!

Thank you! I don't think I'll know until April 15th, but I sincerely hope I do get offered a spot. I'm still waiting to hear back, and Portland State is my other top choice, so I'm hoping there's an acceptance there at least... I just need one yes :(

Another day and still nothing. Looks like the earliest I'll be hearing is the 15th but I won't be home then! I'm still not sure if I should let my mom open my letters and call and tell me or just wait 4 days till I get home.

1 minute ago, slptobe92 said:

Another day and still nothing. Looks like the earliest I'll be hearing is the 15th but I won't be home then! I'm still not sure if I should let my mom open my letters and call and tell me or just wait 4 days till I get home.

I feel you on this! I want the joy of opening a potential acceptance, but at the same time, I am entirely too impatient!

2 minutes ago, Tish22 said:

I feel you on this! I want the joy of opening a potential acceptance, but at the same time, I am entirely too impatient!

I really don't want to hear a rejection over the phone from her so I would only want her to open it and tell me if it's an acceptance but I have no way of knowing! I'll probably just wait so if it's a rejection I can wallow in private haha

On March 9, 2016 at 5:05 PM, rzilby said:

Thank you! I don't think I'll know until April 15th, but I sincerely hope I do get offered a spot. I'm still waiting to hear back, and Portland State is my other top choice, so I'm hoping there's an acceptance there at least... I just need one yes :(

Ā 

On March 9, 2016 at 5:05 PM, rzilby said:

I'm crossing my fingers for you! I applied to Portland State also, so here's to hoping we both get in!Ā :)

9 hours ago, Kavro said:

Ā 

I'm crossing my fingers for you! I applied to Portland State also, so here's to hoping we both get in!Ā :)

Thanks! 8/12 schools, still not a single acceptance. I'm wait listed for 3 so far :/

On March 8, 2016 at 4:20 PM, rzilby said:
On March 8, 2016 at 4:27 PM, rzilby said:

Then in all honesty, I have no idea why math scores are so important when looking at applicants. No idea :(

I don't know why either. Ā If you did well in statistics, you will be fine scoring standardizedĀ assessments.

I'm in my second semester as a graduate student, andĀ I did horrible on the math portion of the GRE. Ā 

I've done several diagnostics and have usedĀ lots of differentĀ standardized assessments. Ā I've also given standardized assessments to clients. Ā All you need to do is simple addition and subtraction and have a basicĀ understanding ofĀ statistics. Converting raw scores is very simple and straight forward. Ā Attention to detail and analysis skills areĀ more important than a GRE quantitative score. Ā 

On March 12, 2016 at 8:34 PM, hopefulspeechie16 said:

@KavroĀ are you still waiting on Dallas? I am too. I know some people were rejected so I guess we're on an unofficialĀ waitlist?

yep, still waiting on Dallas. I sent an email on Friday asking about my status and an issue with the portal. For some reason in my portal it says my application is incomplete because I need to submit my final college transcript by May 1, 2012 (yes, 2012). Um...first, I don't graduate until May 8. Second, it's 2016. I don't know. I submitted my app at the end of Dec, so I'm not sure why I haven't heard anything yet. You may be right, concerning an unofficial waitlist.

Edited by Kavro
tagged wrong user

On 3/8/2016 at 4:20 PM, rzilby said:

Rzilby, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time :/ I can completely empathize with all the "other stuff" you had to to do make it through college.Ā 

Those "Waitlistings" should be encouraging though! That means professors have looked at your application and said, "She is capable of being a good clinician." If they didn't think you were, they wouldn't have given you that status. I know it sucks hardcore to be in limbo, but keep the faith!

Have you tried to visit or call any of your waitlisted schools? That extra step could bump you up on the list! Express you renewed interest in the program. Explain that you're honored that they viewed your application as strong enough for admission if space opens up. Find a professor with similar research/population interests and try to talk about them with him/her (maybe read one of his/her articles first).Ā 

I interviewed a now SLP named Treasyri who applied four cycles before getting in. She had to make sacrifices and fight hard, but now she is a licensed SLP helping change clients lives. The full interview is on my blog, but I attached this little graphic I made to show her process.Ā 

Don't get discouraged yet! It's not over until you stop trying.Ā 

treasyri.jpg

I've been rejected from 4 schools and waitlisted at one (but I'm low on the waitlist there) and I'm feeling like maybe this won't be the year for me :(Ā I know in the grand scheme of things it totally doesn't matter if I start school this fall or spring or even next fall but I feel so ready and excited to go that it sucks not having the opportunity right now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an acceptance to Loyola or GallaudetĀ in particular but I don't want to get my hopes up. Getting three rejections in two days was pretty rough.

1 hour ago, mcamp said:

Rzilby, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time :/ I can completely empathize with all the "other stuff" you had to to do make it through college.Ā 

Those "Waitlistings" should be encouraging though! That means professors have looked at your application and said, "She is capable of being a good clinician." If they didn't think you were, they wouldn't have given you that status. I know it sucks hardcore to be in limbo, but keep the faith!

Have you tried to visit or call any of your waitlisted schools? That extra step could bump you up on the list! Express you renewed interest in the program. Explain that you're honored that they viewed your application as strong enough for admission if space opens up. Find a professor with similar research/population interests and try to talk about them with him/her (maybe read one of his/her articles first).Ā 

I interviewed a now SLP named Treasyri who applied four cycles before getting in. She had to make sacrifices and fight hard, but now she is a licensed SLP helping change clients lives. The full interview is on my blog, but I attached this little graphic I made to show her process.Ā 

Don't get discouraged yet! It's not over until you stop trying.Ā 

treasyri.jpg

hahaha I really enjoyed your blog , awesome job!Ā 

Ā