Anyone else commit already??

So I comitted to the University of Washington (MedSLP), and I keep getting told that it was a stupid move to commit so early. I was deciding between there and University of Wisconsin-Madison, but my heart was set on Washington so I accepted pretty much immediately after getting the acceptance. A couple of people told me that this is weird. That most people wait until near the deadline to see if any additional funding offers come in, and that accepting early lets the school know they don't need to incentivize you anymore. 

I just feel like it's rude to hold the offer from someone on the waitlist from Wisconsin, when I know I am not going to end up there.

So has anyone else commited to your program already??

Me!! It was such a struggle for me to not immediately accept at UW-Whitewater as soon as I got the email. I never expected to get in there after my waitlist last year, and it was one of my top choices. I made myself wait until I had also heard from the school I interviewed at, but in my heart I knew what my final decision would be even if I was accepted there as well. I agree with you about the waitlist part--I know the agony of being put on waitlists from last year, so I made sure to decline at Gov St ASAP so that someone else could hear some great news. 

Congratulations on your acceptances and decision!! 

New York Medical College! Felt the best fit for me and I don't think it's silly to commit early. It shows you're excited and might as well reserve your spot so you aren't locked out! 

Ohio University! I went to the visit day and knew I couldn't pass this opportunity. It's an amazing program, affordable and will give me a brand new experience. Sometimes when you know you just know. I didn't see a reason to prolong a decision I knew in my gut was right.

Me too!  University of Maryland!  It was my top choice, and I only applied there and one other school (which was more expensive), so I didn't see any reason to wait.  I'm still waiting to hear about funding, but hopefully that will come soon.  Even if I'd gotten off the waitlist for my 2nd choice school, it would still have been much more expensive than UMD, even unfunded, so there was no reason to hold off.  I'm a little surprised that more people haven't committed already, but I guess some people have to wait to see what they can afford.

4 hours ago, Lexy_21 said:

That most people wait until near the deadline to see if any additional funding offers come in, and that accepting early lets the school know they don't need to incentivize you anymore. 

I really want to commit to my offer from the University of Arizona because I think I'm going to go there regardless of whether or not I receive funding. That said, I don't want to discourage funding... so do y'all think I should wait? Because I could see schools saying "oh, she's super invested! Give her some money" or going the direction you've said and saying "nah, she's already going so there's no reason to give her funding." 

26 minutes ago, racoomelon said:

I really want to commit to my offer from the University of Arizona because I think I'm going to go there regardless of whether or not I receive funding. That said, I don't want to discourage funding... so do y'all think I should wait? Because I could see schools saying "oh, she's super invested! Give her some money" or going the direction you've said and saying "nah, she's already going so there's no reason to give her funding." 

I wish I knew the answer to this.  I really hope that accepting an offer before funding decisions doesn't affect the chances being offered funding.  That seems unethical if you ask me.  But whether or not this is in fact what actually happens, I have no idea.  I would be curious to hear other's opinions though.

6 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

I wish I knew the answer to this.  I really hope that accepting an offer before funding decisions doesn't affect the chances being offered funding.  That seems unethical if you ask me.  But whether or not this is in fact what actually happens, I have no idea.  I would be curious to hear other's opinions though.

It does seem somewhat questionable, ethically. But I get the sense that the programs want to avoid sending out too many acceptance letters, and, seeing as how funding can make or break someone's decision, they might decide to give funding to someone they haven't heard back from so that they can try to secure them in the cohort.

On the other hand, funding tends to be merit-based, or at least for UA it is, so a program probably wouldn't penalize you for responding too soon. I think?

6 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

Part of the reason I accepted OU was that they won't be giving more funding until after the April 15th deadline once they see who is actually accepting the funding they have already offered. I think for many schools when you accept doesn't affect the amount of funding you may or may not receive.

16 hours ago, RFutureSLP said:

Part of the reason I accepted OU was that they won't be giving more funding until after the April 15th deadline once they see who is actually accepting the funding they have already offered. I think for many schools when you accept doesn't affect the amount of funding you may or may not receive.

See, as far as I know, no one has received funding decisions yet for my program.  At least that's the impression I was under, given the information provided in the various emails since I was accepted.  We'll see, I guess!

I've committed to UNC's Online cohort! It was my first choice, so when I received my acceptance I knew I would accept. In regards to funding, most online programs (which I only applied to with the exception of Boulder) are self-funded; therefore, they do not have scholarships or anything for their distance learners. This made my choice a bit easier after considering tuition, duration of the program, and how long I would have to be at each campus in the summer. 

8 minutes ago, Lexy_21 said:

Wow, I feel so much better! So glad the application process is behind us!!!!

I also don't think it is odd - especially since UW already made all of the MedSLP funding offers already, anyway.  Apparently they had less money than usual and made fewer offers this year.

1 hour ago, Jolie717 said:

I also don't think it is odd - especially since UW already made all of the MedSLP funding offers already, anyway.  Apparently they had less money than usual and made fewer offers this year.

Oh well that stinks, but honestly I am just grateful to be accepted. Have you made your decision yet?? 

18 minutes ago, Lexy_21 said:

Oh well that stinks, but honestly I am just grateful to be accepted. Have you made your decision yet?? 

I have and I haven't - it's tough bcz both unknown funding and complications as far as moving my family are interfering with the decision making.  I'll be one of the ones that waits until the last minute I suppose...

8 hours ago, s4mm1 said:

I just committed to Gallaudet! I see no reason to wait on other schools when I have already been accepted into my first choice. It seems silly. 

That's how I felt about it, but then again, I only applied to 2 schools.  I knew going into the application process where I most wanted to go.  I put the most time, energy, and consideration into that application, and it seems to have paid off.

5 hours ago, SLPgradstudent said:

That's how I felt about it, but then again, I only applied to 2 schools.  I knew going into the application process where I most wanted to go.  I put the most time, energy, and consideration into that application, and it seems to have paid off.

I only applied to three schools, but I knew where I wanted to go as well. I've been wanting to go to Gallaudet for grad school since I was accepted into my undergrad program! 

I committed immediately after attending the accepted students' open house at my #1 choice (University of the Pacific/UOP); this was an easy decision, because I'm in a state where funding is non-existent for this field. I also wanted to give someone a chance to get off the waitlist at the other school I got into (SFSU), so I let that school know immediately that I had accepted another admission.

The grad school application process is so nerve-wracking that I feel like we should acknowledge and respect the emotional/gut feeling part of making an admissions decision. 

I just committed to a program that I love that offered me an excellent grad assistantship, and declined the admission offer from what was originally my dream/reach school... It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be! someone tell me I made the right choice and everything is gonna be great :huh:

3 minutes ago, crc21 said:

I just committed to a program that I love that offered me an excellent grad assistantship, and declined the admission offer from what was originally my dream/reach school... It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be! someone tell me I made the right choice and everything is gonna be great :huh:

wow! you're definitely going to have amazing opportunities as a GA that you couldn't have had going to your "dream school." so take advantage of that and be confident in your choice. a year from now all this stress is going to mean nothing! i think we'll all be happy wherever we go