We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

13 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm super slow, but I just realized that @nevermind is studying the same thing as @Neist?? What is it about HOS students that make them gravitate towards gradcafe?

Also... someone yesterday mentioned obsessively checking the gradcafe results. FLASHBACKS.

Same field? Yes. Studying same thing? Not really. Mine is more STS/envirotech and @Neist does more history of the book (I think?). SUPER pedantic point here. :)

Oddly enough, I feel like there aren't a lot of HoS/STS people on GC. Most of the history thread is American/European/Latin Americanists, which isn't bad...I think HoS is still a relatively niche field, but it's pretty interesting (especially in conjunction with STS, because I have a hard time making up my mind methodologically...). 

AGREED with the Flashbacks. It's hard to believe that it was a year ago that I had submitted my apps! Honestly, I think grad school is less stressful than waiting for interviews. I'm really glad I never have to do it again. :)

Edited by nevermind

4 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Same field? Yes. Studying same thing? Not really. Mine is more STS/envirotech and @Neist does more history of the book (I think?). SUPER pedantic point here. :)

Oddly enough, I feel like there aren't a lot of HoS/STS people on GC. Most of the history thread is American/European/Latin Americanists, which isn't bad...I think HoS is still a relatively niche field, but it's pretty interesting (especially in conjunction with STS, because I have a hard time making up my mind methodologically...). 

AGREED with the Flashbacks. It's hard to believe that it was a year ago that I had submitted my apps! Honestly, I think grad school is less stressful than waiting for interviews. I'm really glad I never have to do it again. :)

Here's a dumb question, what's STS stand for? Also, those sound quite different, not a pedantic point :)

I agree... grad school was stressful, but not nearly as much as waiting for admissions decisions or going to interviews. Or trying to decide where to go, or trying to get funding, or or or... So glad it's over!

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Here's a dumb question, what's STS stand for? Also, those sound quite different, not a pedantic point :)

STS has a history of its own, but it can either stand for "Science and Technology Studies" or "Science, Technology and Society"....both are somewhat interchangeable nowadays. It integrates more perspectives into a "scientific" or "historical" analysis (including but not limited to anthropology, sociology, gender studies, politics, etc..). Instead of looking at a history of a discipline (say, physics), it looks at how different things (people, organisms, social structures, technology)  influence knowledge production. 

1 hour ago, nevermind said:

Basically, yup! I'm broadly interested in information history and the history of modern biology. And I don't feel as if there's a lot either. There just so happens to be two of us who are relatively active. :D 

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm super slow, but I just realized that @nevermind is studying the same thing as @Neist?? What is it about HOS students that make them gravitate towards gradcafe?

Well, I think because it's a niche field, students of it tend to try to spend more effort looking for peers. That's just a guess, thoug.

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I agree... grad school was stressful, but not nearly as much as waiting for admissions decisions or going to interviews. Or trying to decide where to go, or trying to get funding, or or or... So glad it's over!

Yeah, the waiting was the worst!

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny  maybe you'll find this funny...... grades are finally in and guess what?  I literally achieved the impossible and aced the final.  Maybe some alien being invaded me during exam time and took it for me because even I didn't feel that confident.  So where does this leave me?  Still failing because I am half a point away from the program standard.  Yep half a point.  *cue hysterical laughter*

And in unrelated news, my neighbors are boning loudly and its the middle of the day!  Have they no decorum?!  Such activities should be reserved for night time hours (preferably after dinner and before dessert) and not disturb the neighbors. 

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny  maybe you'll find this funny...... grades are finally in and guess what?  I literally achieved the impossible and aced the final.  Maybe some alien being invaded me during exam time and took it for me because even I didn't feel that confident.  So where does this leave me?  Still failing because I am half a point away from the program standard.  Yep half a point.  *cue hysterical laughter*

And in unrelated news, my neighbors are boning loudly and its the middle of the day!  Have they no decorum?!  Such activities should be reserved for night time hours (preferably after dinner and before dessert) and not disturb the neighbors. 

Wait, half a point away and they won't give it to you? That's NONSENSE!!!

Yay! Two high As so far. Still no word on the third.

Also, I think I'm going to have to give up dairy. Yesterday was not a fun day. I dared the gods by eating a lot of butter and cheese. I lost. 

@Neist  I don't think butter and cheese were meant to be mixed together especially since one of those isn't even a food lol.  Have you tried kefir milk?  I know several people with dairy issues that started drinking it and now have little or no dairy issues.  I drink it for the probiotics and find its way more affordable than regular milk.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny  I get what you're saying, but on the other hand I understand the importance of not just being "given" something you know?  Despite my hard work I didn't earn a passing grade and I can accept that.  So yeah now I get to find out how much being on academic probation jeopardizes my funding and placement in the program.

Any other American Horror Story fans?  I've binge watched the first 5 seasons and I really don't like that Jessica Lange left.  I get that she had her reasons and before this show I had no idea who she was, but she really made the show.  Season 5 was really weird without her and Lady Gaga was a poor substitute.

And my neighbors are still at it good grief!  Does the city accept noise ordinance complaints for loud boning?  All of my windows are closed, my tv is blaring, and I can still hear them.

4 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

@Neist  I don't think butter and cheese were meant to be mixed together especially since one of those isn't even a food lol.  Have you tried kefir milk?  I know several people with dairy issues that started drinking it and now have little or no dairy issues.  I drink it for the probiotics and find its way more affordable than regular milk.

Well...

I ate a bunch of waffles (butter), and then, later, I had some mac and cheese (cheese). Unfortunately, the Kefir probably wouldn't help. I don't think I'm lactose intolerant inasmuch as increasingly allergic to milk protein. I don't get the tell tale digestive issues associated with lactose intolerance. I get incredibly bad drainage (a common allergic reaction for me), to a point where, if severe enough, I risk starting to choke. Thankfully, I'd have to eat a lot of dairy before I got to that point, so usually I'm just fairly uncomfortable.

I can pop a few Benadryl, but then I'm halfway asleep for 4-6 hours, so. :(  

So final grades are in for first semester. A in my engineering class, A in my biomechanical methods class, B in stats. I'll take it! My old advisor also got in touch and asked if I wanted to present my work at a pretty big conference in Germany next summer so I gotta work on that soon.

I forgot how gorgeous Maine is. Currently sat on the couch with a sleeping dog at my feet looking out at the sun on the ocean & reflecting into the forrest. 

And food! @Neist I feel ya. I think dairy is okay for me, but grains. Nope. It's not gluten but there's definitely something in grains that my body dislikes. Haven't figured out which grains yet but I think they're the culprit of my issues. I had a gluten free pizza the other night and had some terrible problems.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny going back to see old advisors is like going home sometimes. It's great and nice to reflect on, but once you're there for a bit longer you realize how much you've grown since you left them

You make a good point... I have grown a lot since I left them. I used to cry (literally) to them after a bad exam, but yesterday when they asked why I wasn't horribly depressed I just told them that if I fail out, I fail out, and I can still be happy even if that happens. They don't really understand - they think that being in academia is what every student should strive for, and they looked a little disappointed when I said that I don't think that's what I want. I have, in fact, grown to be my own person in the last few months, which I didn't realize until you pointed it out :)

15 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I dropped by my undergrad university today to bring my old advisors some cookies. I didn't realize how much I missed them until I saw them :(

This totally reminds me of another thing that bugs me about the Gilmore Girls revival.  Why didn't we get to see the new astronomy building Richard and Emily had built and named after Rory on the Yale campus?!  What an awkward scene it would have been to have Rory standing in front of her own building with doe eyed undergrads thinking she must be someone important when that was so far from the reality.

@nevermind You do envirotech? That's a pretty small world! We have a couple people doing envirotech work here at OU (one faculty member and one graduate student). Who knows, maybe you'll run into each other at some point. :) 

@hippyscientist It's a big game of trial and error! :D People don't understand when I tell them that I'm not exactly sure what's bothering me. It takes a lot of experimentation to pinpoint it!

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Good for you! If there's one universal that I've seen in my program in my contingent, it's that people have really developed a more exact sense of what they want to do professionally. I'm pretty sure that after one semester some of the people who wanted to get a Ph.D. in my program will instead leave with an MA. I still enjoy academia, but I'm not sure if I'd want to be a faculty member.

52 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

This totally reminds me of another thing that bugs me about the Gilmore Girls revival.  Why didn't we get to see the new astronomy building Richard and Emily had built and named after Rory on the Yale campus?!  What an awkward scene it would have been to have Rory standing in front of her own building with doe eyed undergrads thinking she must be someone important when that was so far from the reality.

I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT!!! I agree, it would've been a great scene!

Also, thanks past me for buying the Sims 3 and then forgetting about it :P

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny That's great that you have built up some emotional toughness! I know what you mean about crying over grades, I use to do that too. The most famous one was I thought I got a B on a test but I received a D. I walked out of class to compose myself but it didn't work. My poor bf thought I was the person who got a 20 on the exam and was panicking on how to cheer me up. When he found out my true grade, he teased me a little and with his help I got a B in the class.

@MarineBluePsy Hopefully everything goes well! It is lame about the half a point but you are handling it much better than I am. I got a 89.6 in a class in undergrad and it remained a B. Booo.

@Neist What is the podcast about?

I also forgot that too! Remember how big it was suppose to be?! Could you imagine grad students applying to Yale because they have that great building lol. It felt so nice to sleep in for once! I have worked over time so I don't need to go into work today, yay! But I still need to run errands that I've been putting off. I also found this amazing internship that I'm going to apply for. Its in DC with the Smithsonian and its exactly what I want to do. Also its paid!! Plus since my mom lives in DC I can crash on her couch and save all that money. I'm so nervous! Ahhh its like last year all over again :-P

49 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Neist Yes I know exactly what you are talking about!.......Not really lol

Lol. :D Well, give one of those a listen. It's hard to explain what they are without ruining them. ;) 

1 minute ago, Neist said:

Lol. :D Well, give one of those a listen. It's hard to explain what they are without ruining them. ;) 

Ok i will! And I've decided that I will get a cat! I have savings, a pet friendly place lined up, a job and I have a handle on grad school. I'm so excited!

@Need Coffee in an IV that internship sounds incredible.

@Neist & everyone else - I haven't done podcasts before, any you recommend that are good for while you're working? 

Finally survived my 13 hr drive home after I think what could be described as a total s**tshow of a visit. I am so glad to be in my own home with my own bed & some peace and quiet! Actually, lightbulb moment!! That's why I've been so social this semester!!! Because I live alone I have plenty of recharge time which means I can actually socialize with people. Holy heck! Yay cool realization. Sorry, brain dumping. Slightly delirious from drive. Thai food is coming soon (it is compliant with the elimination diet with some foods added back in!) Can't wait!