Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

4 hours ago, milliedaisy said:

My FPA unfortunately provides very little advice or information. I respect it; I go to a large, well-known, public university and I think/hope it is because she is trying to preserve the integrity of the process at my school -- not to say that FPAs who share information or advice aren't in any way. Maybe it's because of the volume of people who go through the process here? I don't know. I am not getting much guidance about the process.

I updated my affiliate faculty with my semi-finalist status, but I didn't specifically say that they should be prepared for a call. My affiliation is in South Africa and I was considering, since my FPA doesn't share much, and the Fulbright website suggests using them for questions, that I could introduce myself to the U.S. Consulate in the city I've proposed affiliation? I just don't know if that's weird? But I was thinking it might not hurt to ask if they have any suggestions or guidance. Does anyone have any thoughts about doing something like that?

One tip I did receive about the next step, particularly for the interviews, is to take a good look at the commission website in your country and to find out more about the people on the panel there. A friend did just that and was able to make a soccer connection with one of his interviewers to great advantage!

As far as the FPA, mine is pretty darned terrific and I was also working with a large land-grant university. But I think the university has to put money into the position in order for that person to have the latitude and knowledge base to be really helpful. My FPA is in a new position, recently created as a prestigious scholarship support person, and there is another position that is available for well, average (no offense- it is still $$ and help for school!), scholarships.

My FPA did write me and told me "All you have to do now is wait!"

5 minutes ago, LibbyCreek said:

One tip I did receive about the next step, particularly for the interviews, is to take a good look at the commission website in your country and to find out more about the people on the panel there. A friend did just that and was able to make a soccer connection with one of his interviewers to great advantage!

As far as the FPA, mine is pretty darned terrific and I was also working with a large land-grant university. But I think the university has to put money into the position in order for that person to have the latitude and knowledge base to be really helpful. My FPA is in a new position, recently created as a prestigious scholarship support person, and there is another position that is available for well, average (no offense- it is still $$ and help for school!), scholarships.

My FPA did write me and told me "All you have to do now is wait!"

Thank you for the advice! I am really grateful. I love to play soccer so maybe, I too, can make a soccer connection :) that is, if I have an interview - not sure if South Africa typically holds them. So the waiting begins! 

My FPA let me know that there were 5 semi-finalists in my university. Yay! However, she did mention that the maximum Fulbright finalist recipients my university has had is three in a given year. Yikes! 

Edited by ibette

Oh shit I'm literally so unobservant - it says it right here in the email " Note that IIE cannot confirm the receipt of individual transcripts before February 21, 2017; however, we will notify you after February 21 if we DO NOT have a required transcript. "

2 hours ago, LibbyCreek said:

Right. I just don't want to bug these two nice people who don't really know me, but whom I somehow already convinced to write me letters of affiliation! 

You've got to start building your relationship with them some time! :)

1 hour ago, Mossy.artist said:

You've got to start building your relationship with them some time! :)

**Yikes!!!* 

Yes, last night I said to my husband, "what if I actually get this thing?" Seriously, I'll be doing research in rural Hungary- loving it, but completely isolated! Could be fun right? :)

1 hour ago, Dash123 said:

So does anyone know how the finances work for an ETA? I assume there's no flat stipend as cost of living varies according to location. But a rough estimate of budgeting, etc.?

The Hungarian Fulbright Commission website has a great document for Fulbrighters. Deep inside that doc there's a bit more info about timeline, visa and stipend. Maybe there's something like this in the Czech Republic?

5 hours ago, eliza.e.campbell said:

Anyone else recommended for research in Bulgaria? And congratulations to everybody!

I was recommended for ETA in Bulgaria. I know it's not the research grant, but it's nice to know other people connected to the same country!

1 hour ago, catsbloom said:

I was recommended for ETA in Bulgaria. I know it's not the research grant, but it's nice to know other people connected to the same country!

Bulgaria is awesome! I lived there for a service year before I graduated and it's the best. Good luck to you, and keep me updated! 

18 hours ago, LibbyCreek said:

**Yikes!!!* 

Yes, last night I said to my husband, "what if I actually get this thing?" Seriously, I'll be doing research in rural Hungary- loving it, but completely isolated! Could be fun right? :)

Your husband isn't coming with you? My husband would be coming with me and would actually be helping me with my research. I guess I am lucky! Being isolated hasn't even crossed my mind. I doubt you'll feel isolated for long though! You hear so many stories of Fulbrighters making plenty of friends during their year and having a great time! You cannot help making friends when community involvement is part of the job description :)

22 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

Your husband isn't coming with you? My husband would be coming with me and would actually be helping me with my research. I guess I am lucky! Being isolated hasn't even crossed my mind. I doubt you'll feel isolated for long though! You hear so many stories of Fulbrighters making plenty of friends during their year and having a great time! You cannot help making friends when community involvement is part of the job description :)

Yes, my husband AND two kids are coming, but they will all be busy with work (he'll be working remotely) and school. I can't imagine him helping me with research, but that is awesome you have someone who can help you in that way! More than anything I think I have just been really realizing the full scope of the Fulbright! I did think about it all before applying, but somehow I told myself that it isn't too crazy to move my family off our farm and away from our small town for a year to do an independent research project. 

I totally agree with you mossy.artist that we won't be able to help making friends and connecting, but the thought of those first few weeks is overwhelming- in a mostly good way!

Will you be based out of a university town near what I'm guessing is the Bialowieza forest? Or in a small town near the forest itself? I'm pretty excited for your project. I'm also curious if you are looking at cataloging the varieties of moss or are trying to infer relationships between soils, animals, invertebrates, plants etc? 

I would love for my husband to come with me! But I am not sure if the stipend would be enough for the both of us to survive on since he has student loans and a monthly car loan payment :blink:. Also, would you know how the visa process would work for spouses? I am guessing I would be getting something similar to a student visa but I am not sure if my husband could also qualify?

5 hours ago, LibbyCreek said:

Yes, my husband AND two kids are coming, but they will all be busy with work (he'll be working remotely) and school. I can't imagine him helping me with research, but that is awesome you have someone who can help you in that way! More than anything I think I have just been really realizing the full scope of the Fulbright! I did think about it all before applying, but somehow I told myself that it isn't too crazy to move my family off our farm and away from our small town for a year to do an independent research project. 

I totally agree with you mossy.artist that we won't be able to help making friends and connecting, but the thought of those first few weeks is overwhelming- in a mostly good way!

Will you be based out of a university town near what I'm guessing is the Bialowieza forest? Or in a small town near the forest itself? I'm pretty excited for your project. I'm also curious if you are looking at cataloging the varieties of moss or are trying to infer relationships between soils, animals, invertebrates, plants etc? 

Wow! That is quite the caravan you'd be taking with you! XD What a cool experience for everyone! I hope your kids are old enough to benefit from the cultural immersion. What does your husband do? I was hoping my husband would be able to find some sort of remote job to do while we are over there...

The logistics involved in the whole Fulbright experience are mind-boggling. At least it sounds like you have a home to keep all your stuff in one place. My husband and I are renting and paying for storage for a year would be too much...not to mention I have no idea where I'll be heading after the Fulbright ><

I will be based in Krakow, Poland's cultural center, where the Polish Institute of Botany is located. I'm actually going to be sampling allllll over the country, not just in the Bialowieza forest. Its going to be a crazy adventure! :) I am specifically studying the mosses that grow on dead wood. There is actually no comprehensive species list for these types of mosses in Poland and little, if anything is known about their ecological preferences and needs making it difficult to protect them. So I will be going all over Poland and seeing what kinds of species I find and what kind of conditions they are living in. Another aspect of my project will be trying to get good photographs of these species, since there isn't much moss photography out there, and getting people to be more knowledgeable and appreciative of mosses.

Thank you for your interest in my project! :)

53 minutes ago, ibette said:

I would love for my husband to come with me! But I am not sure if the stipend would be enough for the both of us to survive on since he has student loans and a monthly car loan payment :blink:. Also, would you know how the visa process would work for spouses? I am guessing I would be getting something similar to a student visa but I am not sure if my husband could also qualify?

It depends what country you are going to. On your country's fulbright page it should specify whether dependent support is available. Also, if you did not say that you were bringing a dependent with you in your application, it might be too late at this point to receive dependent support. I'm not sure about the visa process, of course that would be country dependent. I'm sure there must be some sort category for dependents of students...I have citizenship in the country I applied to so I guess that makes my husband's visa situation simpler...

10 hours ago, Mossy.artist said:

It depends what country you are going to. On your country's fulbright page it should specify whether dependent support is available. Also, if you did not say that you were bringing a dependent with you in your application, it might be too late at this point to receive dependent support. I'm not sure about the visa process, of course that would be country dependent. I'm sure there must be some sort category for dependents of students...I have citizenship in the country I applied to so I guess that makes my husband's visa situation simpler...

I didn't request dependent support since it wasn't available on my country. Hopefully husband can find some sort of remote job too. The good thing is that we both are native speakers of the target country and his company might have some onsite locations there (not sure but I know they do have offices in other South American countries). If not, he can save his vacation and visit me then :P

15 hours ago, Mossy.artist said:

I will be based in Krakow, Poland's cultural center, where the Polish Institute of Botany is located. I'm actually going to be sampling allllll over the country, not just in the Bialowieza forest. Its going to be a crazy adventure! :) I am specifically studying the mosses that grow on dead wood. There is actually no comprehensive species list for these types of mosses in Poland and little, if anything is known about their ecological preferences and needs making it difficult to protect them. So I will be going all over Poland and seeing what kinds of species I find and what kind of conditions they are living in. Another aspect of my project will be trying to get good photographs of these species, since there isn't much moss photography out there, and getting people to be more knowledgeable and appreciative of mosses.

Thank you for your interest in my project! :)

Okay, that is one cool project! I imagine it will be hard to decide how much time to spend at any given plot, during which parts of the year, and how far into the forest to travel to find what you seek. Wow. Is there a lot of academic or government sponsored forest health research in Poland? Or is this a completely new concept? I'm guessing the former, but you never know.

Yes, my kids will be 7 and 11 and I think pretty ripe for cultural immersion- though my 11 year old is terrified of leaving his friends etc, he'll survive, I'm sure. 

My husband works for a river restoration non-profit and can travel over the fall, winter, and spring when he doesn't have work in the river itself. It will still be hard as he will need to keep weird hours to have business calls etc, but I am hopeful we can navigate any issues. Maybe your husband will have better luck getting a job since you have citizenship? IDK, but hopefully he finds something engaging.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:47 PM, dvsan said:

New to forum and still waiting on email. Any Fulbright-Clinton applicants hear news or should we expect that a week or so from now?

Same, haven't heard back from Clinton yet. In past years the notification date has been closer to the end of the month. Waiting is the worst!

2 hours ago, AnnMarie said:

@Mossy.artistI just received my invitation for an interview over Skype via email. Make sure you check your email for yours! They arrived earlier than usual! I'm very scared now. Lol

Yes! I got mine as well. Mine is scheduled for the 30th. How about yours? I don't think it will be too bad. Found a current Fulbrighter there and asked her about it and she said it was no big deal so nothing to be scared of! Just be yourself! :)

On 1/21/2017 at 8:25 AM, catsbloom said:

Yay Bulgaria people! I'm a ETA semi finalist too!

5 hours ago, Mossy.artist said:

Yes! I got mine as well. Mine is scheduled for the 30th. How about yours? I don't think it will be too bad. Found a current Fulbrighter there and asked her about it and she said it was no big deal so nothing to be scared of! Just be yourself! :)

Mine is for the 31st. I wish mine was on the 30th to get it out of the way! Lol. Did the person you talked to mention anything about having to speak in Polish or any particular interview tips? I know my fulbright advisor and college dean have set up a practice Skype interview to have with them for feedback and suggestions. I'm good at being myself though. :P