Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

38 minutes ago, ibette said:

These executive orders are worrying me, especially all these bans against Muslim countries. I feel sick to my stomach. It's hard to stay happy and focus about Fulbright when I feel like we are losing basic human compassion and decency in front of the eyes of the world. 

I couldn't agree more...it's both frightening and heartbreaking.

I feel so bad for the refugees and visa holders being detained at our airports. I also just found out that in retaliation, Iran has banned all US residents from the country. I have a feeling other middle eastern countries will follow suit. I hope the people who applied for these countries for the fulbright are still able to go. :( though that seems like a small problem compared to all of what is happening. This isn't the America I know and love.

10 hours ago, AnnMarie said:

I feel so bad for the refugees and visa holders being detained at our airports. I also just found out that in retaliation, Iran has banned all US residents from the country. I have a feeling other middle eastern countries will follow suit. I hope the people who applied for these countries for the fulbright are still able to go. :( though that seems like a small problem compared to all of what is happening. This isn't the America I know and love.

Remember that Iran and the U.S. have had strained relations for a while -- their ban doesn't really come as too much of a shock; this is probably seen as a provocation by the U.S. against Iran and an attack/persecution of the state religion. It's unlikely that Jordan, Egypt (who were actually enforcing the ban), and other known allies (i.e. places that tend to offer Fulbrights awards to U.S. students) will issue a similar ban! The real concern isn't at the governmental level, it's the citizens of Middle Eastern countries' (and the world's) perception of America that I really worry about. We need people-to-people ambassadors now more than ever. 

Still doesn't change the fact that this ban is really infuriating and just straight unconstitutional (first line, first amendment seems to say something about this...) and un-American. My family came to America as refugees. We aren't Muslim but the refugee camp my parents and siblings were in was in a Muslim country (who KINDLY took them in and treated them well when it was too dangerous for them to stay in their own country!) This feels too personal to me -- my family would never have the life we have now if we didn't have the opportunity to be Americans (we're all college graduates, including my parents who went back to school). America has never been perfect but we've always been a country that can make a mistake and move forward constructively. It seems like now as all our issue come to the surface, rather than work through them with compassion, we're succumbing to fear and paranoia. 

Edited by indexes

I hadn't thought to post until I read the state department news.

Given our personal and professional interests, we should be joining others in fighting for the reality we want. Our elders did, our parents did, and our generations can. I'm humbled that life will be a neverending battle for humanity, ethics and morality.

I'm attending one of the marches for detainees in the airport. Time to get even more energized and social since walking in the women's march! Hell yeah to those who marched or wanted to, as well!

I'll be at my location for others who cannot make it and for others who say it isn't worth it, because it is. I also urge you to call your representatives. It literally takes seconds. I've never practiced bureaucratic protest before, so it will be interesting developing this shrunken muscle of political engagement. I've been able to not focus on the fellowship season by redirecting my energy this way (and other things, like baking ❤). 

On 1/28/2017 at 9:40 AM, McGhee said:

I wonder how yesterday's refugee and immigration ban from select countries is going to affect things. It is only inevitable that other countries may have conflicted feelings in working with the US and issuing visas to foster a culture of understanding when we are becoming more isolationist every day. :(

That's how I am feeling too! The country I am a semi-finalist for is Bulgaria (which isn't a Muslim country) but I am still anxious on how things will be affected in terms of US-Bulgaria relations and obtaining a visa. 

On another note... I am having a hard time controlling myself over news of final notifications. I wish I knew now. ahah. :o:unsure:

Edited by tommec

So devastating what is going on right now in the States and it seems many of you share the same concerns for our freedoms, healthcare access, democratic values, environment, education, and other domestic issues spiraling out of control. We can only hope that solidarity and legislation and checks/balances will lessen the severity of these blows; a country cannot be led by executive order alone.

All ll I know is that those of us who are selected and have the opportunity to go abroad, we will have more responsibility perhaps than any other Fulbright who preceded us. To approach international allies with care, to distance ourselves from the hateful rhetoric with which our nation has become synonymous in foreign media, to research things that will improve quality of life and educate students for the same. Fulbright exists to increase mutual understanding and who knows how long that will last. :/

3 hours ago, Dash123 said:

So devastating what is going on right now in the States and it seems many of you share the same concerns for our freedoms, healthcare access, democratic values, environment, education, and other domestic issues spiraling out of control. We can only hope that solidarity and legislation and checks/balances will lessen the severity of these blows; a country cannot be led by executive order alone.

All ll I know is that those of us who are selected and have the opportunity to go abroad, we will have more responsibility perhaps than any other Fulbright who preceded us. To approach international allies with care, to distance ourselves from the hateful rhetoric with which our nation has become synonymous in foreign media, to research things that will improve quality of life and educate students for the same. Fulbright exists to increase mutual understanding and who knows how long that will last. :/

Well said, we have to be ambassadors now more than ever. Fulbright or no Fulbright, if we travel, we have to show what the true values of our country are. I am located in Texas so it saddens me how much misinformation exists within the people I have on social media sites. The most astonishing thing is that unfortunately most of these people have never traveled outside the state nonetheless the country. It seems like traveling and being involved in international and cultural exchange truly helps inform and foster compassion, awareness, and humanity. 

Hi everyone,

I was recently notified of my semi-finalist status for my Fulbright Research application to Ukraine. My interview is scheduled on March 13th. While I'm confident that the interview will go well, I'm always eager to get more information. Unfortunately, I've had little luck contacting with Ukraine alumni, and the Fulbright Ukraine website is pretty poor in regards to any relevant news.

If anyone has experience with Ukraine, I'd really appreciate talking to you! I'm pretty well-versed in the domestic affairs of that country, and especially of the provinces I'll be conducting research in, but without direct contact, my knowledge of the culture leaves a lot to be desired. And with Trump, I'm worried that there may be more aggression from Ukraine's neighbor.

Any other potential Germany ETA's here? I keep re-reading the semi-finalist page and all it said was to send in transcripts..I have a feeling I'm missing something but there's no other info on the page. Just wondering how the other semi-finalist Germany ETA's are hanging in there.

Also, is there an interview process for German ETA's?

Edited by ryanwinston

31 minutes ago, ryanwinston said:

Any other potential Germany ETA's here? I keep re-reading the semi-finalist page and all it said was to send in transcripts..I have a feeling I'm missing something but there's no other info on the page. Just wondering how the other semi-finalist Germany ETA's are hanging in there.

Also, is there an interview process for German ETA's?

There's nothing more you need to do and there are no interviews for Germany (research, study, or ETA). My friend last year did the ETA and another friend did the research grant.

On 1/28/2017 at 3:18 PM, Horb said:

The archive I want to go to is the archive of a Jewish man who died in the Holocaust because the US denied him a visa. I can't even right now.

Wow. That's so viscerally impactful. I hope you get it. We need your work.

50 minutes ago, lyonessrampant said:

Wow. That's so viscerally impactful. I hope you get it. We need your work.

I see you're doing a PhD in English as well! Hello, comrade! Yeah, I always wondered how to justify my work, but I never thought it'd be this easy because I never thought we'd be in a position where we need to discuss violence on so many different registers. 

Hi everyone. I'm a semi-finalist for a Fulbright Scholar postdoc in Canada. It seems that the roles at the State Department who are in charge of the Fulbright program - the Assistant Secretary for Educational and Cultural Affairs and the Under Secretary for Public Diplomacy - are currently-unfilled appointee positions. Does anyone have a read on how this is going to impact the Fulbright program? From what I can tell the role of ECA assistant secretary seems to have a temporary person in it, but I'm wondering how all this gets done with such a barebones staff at State.

Edited by aoirghe

1 hour ago, aoirghe said:

Hi everyone. I'm a semi-finalist for a Fulbright Scholar postdoc in Canada. It seems that the roles at the State Department who are in charge of the Fulbright program - the Assistant Secretary for Educational and Cultural Affairs and the Under Secretary for Public Diplomacy - are currently-unfilled appointee positions. Does anyone have a read on how this is going to impact the Fulbright program? From what I can tell the role of ECA assistant secretary seems to have a temporary person in it, but I'm wondering how all this gets done with such a barebones staff at State.

Well, Fulbright (at least the student program) is under the wing of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, as you pointed out, which does currently have an assistant secretary in charge (though maybe that changed and I didn't know that??). The Bureau's website also lists several filled leadership positions. My guess would be it will go as it normally goes and we might just have a delay in notification.

Ack! A delay in notification! Be still my heart! 

Of course, I would rather wait a century to find out if we could have real democracy!   

I'm with you Horb, I think the Fulbright will proceed as per the standard operating procedures. Bureaucracy takes awhile to trickle down- now, if there was a change in the administration...

Hi Horb! Yep, I'm in English. I applied (for a second time) for a research grant in Italy. I work in the 15/16th c. and on violence as well to an extent, but I focus on armor and rapier play in that context. I was an alternate last year and thought I'd try again since this is my last year of eligibility. I defend in May, so if I got it, it would be more like a postdoc. We'll see. Anyway, I share everyone's concerns; I've found myself spending time going to marches/rallies, reading news, calling my reps, and arguing on Facebook rather than finishing up the diss. This is definitely uncharted territory to a large extent. Best of luck to you and everyone! 

On 1/24/2017 at 4:40 PM, Mossy.artist said:

So apparently this interview is going to be a video conference! Also, I was told by the Polish Fulbright people that the interview would be held in English. Not a thing was mentioned about testing our Polish speaking capabilities. I was told that, " the Academic Committee is going to discuss with you your grant objectives, your motivation for applying for the award, how do you perceive yourself as the Fulbright Grantee/ U.S ambassador to Poland etc. ". Sounds like basic questions. I'm just worried about what the heck I'm going to say if someone asks me about Trump or the general state of politics in America right now...I don't know what to say to anyone about that. What would you guys say? @bluet, what is your project about?

@Mossy.artist and @AnnMarie, either of you have your interview yet? Mine is tomorrow and though it looks like most of the interview should be in English, I'm still nervous they're going to throw some super academic Polish questions at me.

3 hours ago, bluet said:

@Mossy.artist and @AnnMarie, either of you have your interview yet? Mine is tomorrow and though it looks like most of the interview should be in English, I'm still nervous they're going to throw some super academic Polish questions at me.

My interview is tomorrow to 8:30. But I know @Mossy.artisthas had hers. From my understanding, none of the questions are in Polish and there are no curve ball questions that you wouldn't expect. What time is your interview?

36 minutes ago, AnnMarie said:

My interview is tomorrow to 8:30. But I know @Mossy.artisthas had hers. From my understanding, none of the questions are in Polish and there are no curve ball questions that you wouldn't expect. What time is your interview?

That's really encouraging, thanks! Mine's at 11 tomorrow. Good luck! 

9 hours ago, bluet said:

That's really encouraging, thanks! Mine's at 11 tomorrow. Good luck! 

10 hours ago, AnnMarie said:

Good luck, y'all!

Tip for UK semi finalists! Just talked to one of the Fulbright finalists from this year. When you interview be prepared to respond to questions about Trump.

Also, don't worry to much about the State department or challenging right wing extremism.

Just be yourself and stay true to the work you want to research. Don't pander.

Best of luck to you all.

2 hours ago, AnnMarie said:

Good luck to you as well! Let us know how it went! :)

I think it went okay! I did get some Polish questions, but nothing super academic that I couldn't answer. How did yours go?

Now it's just waiting (and busying myself panicking about the chaos that is America right now -.-)

16 minutes ago, daishahistory said:

Tip for UK semi finalists! Just talked to one of the Fulbright finalists from this year. When you interview be prepared to respond to questions about Trump.

Also, don't worry to much about the State department or challenging right wing extremism.

Just be yourself and stay true to the work you want to research. Don't pander.

Best of luck to you all.

People close to me have been telling me "don't bring up politics...no matter what!!" if I get an interview, but at this point there is no way to avoid it.  With the UK parliament having scheduled a debate to to either ban the state visit or relabel it an official visit I feel that the US/UK are very interconnected right now and it would be a glaring oversight to not comment on it if asked during an interview.

Thanks for your tip and thoughts @daishahistory :) 

Edited by Dilemma1