Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

On 1/23/2017 at 3:19 PM, Jess2323 said:

Yay Bulgaria people! I'm a ETA semi finalist too!

@Jess2323 and @catsbloom I made a gradcafe account, finally. Fellow ETA semi-finalist for Bulgaria here! Yay! Let me know if you all need anything or want to chat. My fingers are crossed for all of us.

16 hours ago, Mossy.artist said:

That is true although I'm really surprised that the Polish Fulbright person would not mention that when I asked her what to expect. I put down Intermediate for my language skill and it would make sense for them to see if my Polish actually is that good. I'm really not worried about the language part. @AnnMarie did you still want to practice? :) I'm still worried about all the political stuff though..."How do you see yourself as an ambassador to Poland?", confused, I support my countries ideals, but whats been going on lately.. >< Also I know that Poland can be pretty conservative so I really don't know what would be the right thing to say!

I'm still happy to practice. :D I can send you my Skype information.

7 minutes ago, ibette said:

Anyone a little anxious for the second round of notifications? I just stuffed myself with chocolate to ease the nerves. I hope this doesn't become a habit. 

I am...I am very nervous. But I just bought tickets to see Coheed and I am just so excited to relive high school that I'm hoping I'll forgot about all my worries. (Also: Might I recommend Halo Top? It is low calorie ice cream that tastes delicious.  I am a stress eater so I turned to this because I'm also trying to lose weight, but honestly, I'd eat it even if I wasn't).

I'm concerned about how Trump's presidency impacts everyone this application season. Senior staff just quit from the Department of State; Trump currently has a hiring freeze for everything but natl security, military and public safety; isolationism stands in stark contrast to the internationalism upon which the program was founded. The good news is Fulbright entities are still congratulating semi-finalists, but that's not warming me at night. 

Oh, by the way: semi-finalist, research in Germany. 

23 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I'm concerned about how Trump's presidency impacts everyone this application season. Senior staff just quit from the Department of State; Trump currently has a hiring freeze for everything but natl security, military and public safety; isolationism stands in stark contrast to the internationalism upon which the program was founded. The good news is Fulbright entities are still congratulating semi-finalists, but that's not warming me at night. 

The State Department bit might be cause for some concern since the final approval comes from them.  But funding should have been locked in for this competition cycle, right?  I feel like something as complex as the Fulbright funding process would be completed in the last budget cycle.  I don't know how any of this works to be perfectly honest.  I really hope the political climate does not impact this Fulbright round or future rounds. :( 

It's the Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs that is in charge of the Fulbright...maybe they won't impacted by the resignations?

Edited by Dilemma1

27 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I've been wondering/worrying about this too :( My research is directly tied to art in the midst of rising isolationism and ethnic-nationalism. Hoping it isn't deemed too sensitive considering both the Brexit atmosphere and U.S. political climate. I am also hoping for the same thing as @Dilemma1 that the funds for this round were allocated during the previous administration. It could mean complications for alternates and it does raise a lot of questions for the future of Fulbright. It'll be heartbreaking if this amazing program is negatively affected for the future.

58 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I'm also a s-f to Germany for research. Congrats! I'm pretty sure my project will be rejected once it comes back (I used the phrase: analyze the violence underpinning radical right wing groups)...it was a nice a run while it lasted.

42 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

The State Department bit might be cause for some concern since the final approval comes from them.  But funding should have been locked in for this competition cycle, right?  I feel like something as complex as the Fulbright funding process would be completed in the last budget cycle.  I don't know how any of this works to be perfectly honest.  I really hope the political climate does not impact this Fulbright round or future rounds. :( 

It's the Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs that is in charge of the Fulbright...maybe they won't impacted by the resignations?

It most certainly was locked in. That said, who knows what he'll do next.

15 minutes ago, Horb said:

I'm also a s-f to Germany for research. Congrats! I'm pretty sure my project will be rejected once it comes back (I used the phrase: analyze the violence underpinning radical right wing groups)...it was a nice a run while it lasted.

I know I am idealistic and I see where you're coming from-- but maybe the selection committee in Germany will have a special affinity for your research especially now! It seems actually quite possible that they will see your research as necessary. And faculty/academics everywhere seem to be exercising resistance - I see your situation as only positive. And I hope you get it too, because we need your research!

2 minutes ago, milliedaisy said:

I know I am idealistic and I see where you're coming from-- but maybe the selection committee in Germany will have a special affinity for your research especially now! It seems actually quite possible that they will see your research as necessary. And faculty/academics everywhere seem to be exercising resistance - I see your situation as only positive. And I hope you get it too, because we need your research!

I'm more concerned about the final approval, which happens in the US, but thanks for the support!!!

On an unrelated note, any idea (anyone on this forum) about how taxation works?

28 minutes ago, Horb said:

I'm more concerned about the final approval, which happens in the US, but thanks for the support!!!

On an unrelated note, any idea (anyone on this forum) about how taxation works?

Like federal taxes? If you go to the Fulbright website there's an entire section on it.

2 hours ago, Horb said:

Congratulations to you too! And your post made me cackle so hard. :lol: I'm in the same boat. 

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

There was a holiday party here in Japan with Fulbrighters, Fulbright staff, and members of the US Embassy. We all raised that concern as well, and were told by embassy representatives that funding is locked in for us and at least this next cycle. Basically, repercussions from Trump won't affect Fulbright at least for a couple years. 

Still, the fact that most countries don't have an Ambassador right now is worrying...

I became concern too if my project would be funded since it is a touchy subject and can be related to immigration. Although the political climate of the US promotes isolationism and fear, I hope to get chosen to actually prove the contrary to my host country and the research team I plan to work with. 

35 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

What do you mean?

As @AnnMarie said, they top officials just walked out. The Fulbright is buried within the Dept. Of State, so that is interesting (I don't think affects us; I just find it interesting).

6 hours ago, Horb said:

As @AnnMarie said, they top officials just walked out. The Fulbright is buried within the Dept. Of State, so that is interesting (I don't think affects us; I just find it interesting).

Honestly, I am riveted by our first week with a new president and the actions, lies and tactics we are witnessing. I feel strongly that it would take a government shutdown to cancel the Fulbright program, but at this point I have stronger concerns about basic human rights, health care access, trade wars, and so on, that are in the forefront of my hyperactive imagination. I doubt I'm alone in this, particularly on this forum where so many of us have applied to gain broader perspectives about the world not just in our own field.

I am really curious about the implications of the recent executive orders/mandates for those of us applying to eastern european countries, or those like Mexico who will be facing very hard decisions regarding our country. It will be interesting to continue talking once we get these awards to compare notes about reactions in these countries. I look forward to continuing our connections- that's what this is all about, right?

2 hours ago, LibbyCreek said:

Honestly, I am riveted by our first week with a new president and the actions, lies and tactics we are witnessing. I feel strongly that it would take a government shutdown to cancel the Fulbright program, but at this point I have stronger concerns about basic human rights, health care access, trade wars, and so on, that are in the forefront of my hyperactive imagination. I doubt I'm alone in this, particularly on this forum where so many of us have applied to gain broader perspectives about the world not just in our own field.

I am really curious about the implications of the recent executive orders/mandates for those of us applying to eastern european countries, or those like Mexico who will be facing very hard decisions regarding our country. It will be interesting to continue talking once we get these awards to compare notes about reactions in these countries. I look forward to continuing our connections- that's what this is all about, right?

Yeah, I wish I had devoted even more space to cross-cultural dialogue. Like, I want to go to Germany for more than my archive.

I wonder how yesterday's refugee and immigration ban from select countries is going to affect things. It is only inevitable that other countries may have conflicted feelings in working with the US and issuing visas to foster a culture of understanding when we are becoming more isolationist every day. :(

These executive orders are worrying me, especially all these bans against Muslim countries. I feel sick to my stomach. It's hard to stay happy and focus about Fulbright when I feel like we are losing basic human compassion and decency in front of the eyes of the world.