Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

57 minutes ago, Photogeographic said:

Yay ! I'm heading to Sri Lanka on Monday !!! Good luck on the final round !

What have you been doing in Sri Lanka?  You may have mentioned it before but I can't find it--I have so many friends over there!

Hi Everyone,

I just got back from three days in the backcountry (annual family nordic ski trip) and checked in here first to see! I'm so excited for good news for so many of you! Wow! 

I checked my email and I've been recommended for Hungary!

Huzzah!

21 hours ago, Mossy.artist said:

How's your Fulbright been? Where are you and what are you doing? Any advice for us?

It's been fantastic so far. I'm on a research grant to Japan; been here since September. 

For those who didn't make it past the first round: I am so sorry. Do not take it personally; tons of qualified people do not make it every year. Please, apply again next year. I know a number of Fulbrighters (myself included) who didn't get in the first time they applied but have succeeded later! 

For those who were recommended: Congrats! Celebrate; this is an accomplishment. Try not to stress over the upcoming months while the final selections are made. You'll know when you know. Just enjoy this victory for now. :)

No go for me for Israel.  And I'm in history... wonder what those history reviewers were thinking.... :/  Oh well.  It was my first time trying.

YES!!! Recommended for study in the U.K. at the University of Reading! Congrats to all other semi-finalists - I wish you all the best in the next cycle!  This is my third year applying and making it to the semi-final round. I've never made the cut for a telephone interview, so I'm praying that the third time's the charm for me! ???????

So three years ago I applied for the same country, same university, similar research project, etc. and got flat out rejected the first round. This time I tightened my proposal and strengthen my CV. I also stayed connected and built up my relationship with the host institution. As a first time applicant, I applied as a first year Master's student. This time around I applied as an ABD PhD candidate. 

I am so happy I was in Europe for the majority of December and not thinking about Fulbright/compulsively checking the forum and my e-mail. I was talking to a colleague and complaining how I felt somewhat stalled after my qualifying exams when I signed onto my e-mail and see "I am pleased to inform you..." and I was so confused??? I look at the header and it said "Fulbright" and I went from 0 to 100 in 2 seconds. I am pretty sure my poor colleague thought someone died because I broke down, crying hysterically in front of her. 

Anyways, just wanted to share this story because in 2010 I sat in my university's Fulbright info session as a senior in college and imagined how cool it would be to get such an amazing award to not only do research, but also serve as ambassador for my country. Not sure if I will get to be a finalist but I feel proud of what I have done to prepare myself to apply this second time. So if you didn't get it this time, please continue to push for it. I applied for the Mellon International Dissertation Research Fellowship and didn't get that one either, but perseverance is key. There are also other great international funding opportunities/experiences you can seek out in the mean time (for example, I joined an on-campus organizations that focused on international outreach which was a great experience that probably helped my Fulbright application). And for those who are semi-finalist, good luck! I know it will suck putting our lives on hold again but it will be okay. 

I just got recommended for the Indonesia ETA program! 

My FPA said there is about a 70% chance for ETA semi-finalists and 60% for research. Is that similar to what other people are hearing? 

7 hours ago, medievalist86 said:

YES!!! Recommended for study in the U.K. at the University of Reading! Congrats to all other semi-finalists - I wish you all the best in the next cycle!  This is my third year applying and making it to the semi-final round. I've never made the cut for a telephone interview, so I'm praying that the third time's the charm for me! ???????

Just so you know, they don't always do interviews for everyone! I've heard people get it but no interview.

15 minutes ago, Horb said:

Just so you know, they don't always do interviews for everyone! I've heard people get it but no interview.

Thanks so much for that info - I  was under the impression that all U.K. semi-finalists were interviewed.  Now I won't stress so much or lose hope if I don't get called up for an interview. ?

1 hour ago, Meliglwssos said:

My FPA said there is about a 70% chance for ETA semi-finalists and 60% for research. Is that similar to what other people are hearing? 

Was your FPA talking just about the Indonesia program? My FPA said they thought that you still only have a 1/3 or 1/2 chance of winning, even as a semi-finalist.  That just doesn't seem right to me, though, so I think they might have just been trying to hamper my expectations.  If your FPA was talking about the ETA grant in general being 70% in round two, that would be wonderful.

28 minutes ago, medievalist86 said:

Thanks so much for that info - I  was under the impression that all U.K. semi-finalists were interviewed.  Now I won't stress so much or lose hope if I don't get called up for an interview. ?

It depends on the school and even then, not all applicants are interviewed (which doesn't mean anything. I used to think it was because they had enough info so they only interviewed for people they wanted to talk with more, but that isn't the case).

Also, I did do a telephone interview for a UK grant. If you want advice, let me know!

15 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

Was your FPA talking just about the Indonesia program? My FPA said they thought that you still only have a 1/3 or 1/2 chance of winning, even as a semi-finalist.  That just doesn't seem right to me, though, so I think they might have just been trying to hamper my expectations.  If your FPA was talking about the ETA grant in general being 70% in round two, that would be wonderful.

I've been told 50%, but it depends on the country. But it would make sense (for example, if there are 20 grants and they accept 1.5x the number of grants, then they would accept around 30. 20 grants is 66% of 30 applicants).

33 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

He meant in general. I'm glad he told me because I wanted to know, but now I'm worried it is making me feel too confidant.

Good luck! 

9 hours ago, bjoshi said:

Recommended for ETA in Nepal! Any others in Nepal?

Congrats! I was originally going for research in Nepal, but then my host institution stopped responding to emails ( <_< ) and I switched over to ETA in Malaysia VERY last minute. My FPA was verrrry anxious on my behalf, deciding mid-September and all to swap countries and grant types! But! I guess it worked out! Anyway, I'm still dying to go to Nepal, and I wish you the very best of luck!

3 hours ago, Meliglwssos said:

Mine said 50% chance for ETA semifinalists, though she said that my university in particular seems to either have people get eliminated in Jan or get the grant in the spring, with very few people making it to be semifinalists and then getting cut later. So statistically, I guess it's around 50%, but maybe particular schools or ways of writing proposals are more compelling once they make it to the host country?

9 hours ago, medievalist86 said:

Congrats Medievalist!!!