Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

Hey everyone!

Created a gradcafe account just so I could share in the anxiety

if you were thinking you had it bad with timezones-- I'm in Europe right now! I've been stressed about this since 3am EST, even though I logically knew no email was going to come in the middle of what is night for NY offices

It's now 9:45pm, it's been a full day of non-stop anxiety

ahhhhh!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, aheather said:

Hey everyone!

if you were thinking you had it bad with timezones-- I'm in Europe right now! I've been stressed about this since 3am EST, even though I logically knew no email was going to come in the middle of what is night for NY offices

ahhhhh!!!!!!

Oh my gosh, that sounds agonizing. I even just emailed my poor advisor to ask if she can confirm whether or not we'll hear today... Only about another hour and a half until we should know!

I just don't get why they wait until 5pm?! Sigh....

2 minutes ago, Sarah1812 said:

Oh my gosh, that sounds agonizing. I even just emailed my poor advisor to ask if she can confirm whether or not we'll hear today... Only about another hour and a half until we should know!

I email my advisor all the time for everything (the last email had the subject line "a question, not neurotic this time, I promise") but for some reason I feel bad pestering her about today's anxiety? I feel like she'd have told me herself if she thought I should know that today's the day, and the fact that she hasn't said anything is because she wants me to be calm and yet here I am..... 

2 minutes ago, aheather said:

I email my advisor all the time for everything (the last email had the subject line "a question, not neurotic this time, I promise") but for some reason I feel bad pestering her about today's anxiety? I feel like she'd have told me herself if she thought I should know that today's the day, and the fact that she hasn't said anything is because she wants me to be calm and yet here I am..... 

Honestly, I bet they're used to it. I just feel bad if I didn't get it, lol. I feel like that puts her in an awkward position... also some advisors may refrain from letting us know the date because they're worried we'll nag them about the results :P

I feel like I get anxious as every hour comes around... For some reason I have it in my head that they'll email at the start of a new hour and not in the middle... 

7 minutes ago, Sarah1812 said:

I got my rejection at 4:05pm last year, so it may be a little earlier than that, lol

22 minutes ago, aheather said:

Hey everyone!

ahhhhh!!!!!!

Same for me. It's been a really tough day, literally 12 hours of checking waiting!

4 minutes ago, smith323232 said:

Approved!  But I bumped into my advisor and they told me because they thought I already knew... But the official notices should come out at 5pm.  So you can stop refreshing your email every 2 mins till then lol.  Best of luck everyone!

CONGRATS!

7 minutes ago, smith323232 said:

Approved!  But I bumped into my advisor and they told me because they thought I already knew... But the official notices should come out at 5pm.  So you can stop refreshing your email every 2 mins till then lol.  Best of luck everyone!

Congrats! Where did you apply? And what school in Kentucky are you from? (I ask because Im from KY)

Edited by JSahl1138

4 minutes ago, Vegan Burrito said:

Same for me. It's been a really tough day, literally 12 hours of checking waiting!

Where are you atm? I'm in Paris!

6 minutes ago, smith323232 said:

Congrats!!!!

Congrats!

Congratulations!

What's everyone's Plan B? If Fulbright doesn't work out (I hope it does, but still! in the interest of remembering there's a life outside of hitting "refresh" on gmail!), what are you excited to do with your time? 

4 minutes ago, aheather said:

What's everyone's Plan B? If Fulbright doesn't work out (I hope it does, but still! in the interest of remembering there's a life outside of hitting "refresh" on gmail!), what are you excited to do with your time? 

I'm applying to a lot of jobs! Honestly, I'm not 100% sure which I would choose. If I'm offered a job in a position that I like, then I might accept it and withdraw from consideration from the Fulbright.

28 minutes ago, smith323232 said:

Congrats! Love hearing great news ?

3 hours ago, Sarahjk said:

I have an Antunes' book on my shelf. It's in Portuguese, so it's a slow read for me. I'm taking Portuguese lessons with a tutor. I'd love to hear about your translation path. How great would be to have this literature convo over coffee in Lisbon? Here's to hoping your timely response is an auspicious omen. ??

i haven't even tried antunes in portuguese yet tbh - sticking to authors that generally pay attention to grammar/narrative for the moment while i'm learning... lol. Let me know when you hear back!

28 minutes ago, aheather said:

I'm applying to a PhD program. The immediate plan B though is to have a baby in the next month - found out I was pregnant after spending months on the Fulbright application. When I asked my advisor/faculty recommenders if I should still apply they were all like "yeah! Babies can get passports!" Haha.