Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

13 hours ago, Dilemma1 said:

You have no idea how true the "lets fund cancer research" is!   While it is an area that is immensely important and greatly impacts everyone in society...but it would be nice if other areas got their chance to shine!  The last two Fulbrighter's for Leicester have been in Microbiology-cancer research, so I'm hoping this year breaks that streak.  

Your research on moss sounds like you would have quite the adventure out in the field! My fingers will be crossed for you!

I have a friend who is currently in Germany on a Fulbright and he was interviewed by the local news on the night of the election...he's been trying to explain and assure everyone about the results since then.  We absolutely need programs like Fulbright right now that will create positive interactions with citizens around the world and provide a more personal face to the idea of what an "American" is.

When I applied to Leicester three cycles ago, I had the same fears. If you make it to round 2, hit me up! I can talk about what the interview was like and where I think I went wrong. 

15 hours ago, Dash123 said:

@Horb - I hope they send you through. We need more Americans abroad now more than ever that don't fuel the "alt-right." If I'm chosen for my ETA, I imagine my first task will be assuring my class and colleagues that I'm not a disciple of Trump...

You are so kind. I have the same hopes for you. I'm fairly open minded and I agree with President Obama when he said that we need to consider the fear the rust belt white man has as he sees his job prospects dwindling fast (and I get disliking Hillary because she did not treat the livelihood of coal miners with respect, IMO). I also understand (though by no means agree with) choosing someone who says they'll save your job (even though he is racist, misogynist, etc.) over someone who wants to get rid of it because...how would you live? 

I'm really interested, however, in how what is understandable (these fears) shifts into what is unfathomable (fascism, etc.). I'm not saying were are there yet, but there is a rise in radical sentiment and in hatred, and I'm interested in studying that and looking to the past for answers (or a further grasp) because I think it is much the same affect and emotion at play, but just unraveling in a different way. It is hard to imagine another Holocaust, but I understand (more than ever before) how important Holocaust studies are, for remembering what happened and remembering how it happened. 

Hi all! As the notifications approach and I continue to hound you with my presence, I wanted to say congratulations to everyone who submitted an application. Whether you spent months preparing it or you found out last minute and whipped an application together, it is a massive feat to have done so in the first place, so CONGRATULATIONS!

While we all want the results AND WE WANT THEM NOW, try to savor this time of uncertainty. I, personally, am enjoying being able to still say, I might win a Fulbright! And when the results do come in, some of us may be disappointed, but I tell myself to remember what I've learned or gained through the application process:

• A clearer sense of myself, what I want to study, and why it matters (Research/Study)
  • A connection with an international leader in my field (Research/study)
  • The importance of cross-cultural communication
  • The writing skills I have gained through countless revisions
  • An awareness of my position and role in society
  • The support of friends, family, and faculty who believe in my application
  • And much more that I probably don't even realize right now

I know I certainly gained a lot from the process both times I've applied, so at the very least, I all get an amazing consolation prize. 

So good luck everyone! And if anyone wants to vent about the results, please feel free to PM me! 

12 minutes ago, Horb said:

Hi all! As the notifications approach and I continue to hound you with my presence, I wanted to say congratulations to everyone who submitted an application. Whether you spent months preparing it or you found out last minute and whipped an application together, it is a massive feat to have done so in the first place, so CONGRATULATIONS!

While we all want the results AND WE WANT THEM NOW, try to savor this time of uncertainty. I, personally, am enjoying being able to still say, I might win a Fulbright! And when the results do come in, some of us may be disappointed, but I tell myself to remember what I've learned or gained through the application process:

• A clearer sense of myself, what I want to study, and why it matters (Research/Study)

I know I certainly gained a lot from the process both times I've applied, so at the very least, I all get an amazing consolation prize. 

So good luck everyone! And if anyone wants to vent about the results, please feel free to PM me! 

Well said !!

2 hours ago, Horb said:

Horb this is a very thoughtful post and I completely concur! I am also so grateful for the opportunity to hone my vision improve my networking skills etc. I also wanted to tell you my husband and I have had many intriguing conversations after reading your posts about researching the opposition and radical political parties. I really hope you get this fellowship; I think we need more people closely examining the reasons for uprisings- from the left or the right.

But I am obviously coming from the left on this one!

Sarah

2 hours ago, Horb said:

100% I have personally gained so much from just going through this process. Even if I don't end up getting it, I would have been more upset at myself if I never took the long shot to go for the grant. In a way, it really solidified what I wanted to do for my future/career

10 hours ago, Horb said:

Thank you so much -- it is my first time applying and I appreciate the  sense of community I've gotten from posts like these. I feel fortunate to even be an applicant among a group of such humble thinkers.  

On January 13, 2017 at 8:11 PM, Mossy.artist said:

WOW. Getting to see the list of people who review the applications is actually pretty infuriating as someone coming from a STEM field, specifically Biology/Environment. Why even have science be an option and then so ridiculously under represent it!? :angry: Not only is Poland grouped simply into "Eastern Europe" but the ONE single person who even has anything to do with the sciences is a geologist! And I wondered why only Art and History students ever went to Poland... Seriously so upsetting. :'(

Wow, I just looked for my country (Israel).  I applied to do scientific research in genetics, and there are only two reviewers for Israel, and they are in history and religious studies.  My only hope is that maybe I'll stand out since I'm doing something different? Crossing fingers!

24 minutes ago, Regab said:

well, I'm completely freaking out.  Anyone else starting to loose their minds?

Starting? LOL My mind's been gone for awhile now. 

But I seem to have gotten to a kind of zen point except when I actually open my inbox (then I panic a lot and come straight here to see if anyone has gotten theirs). 

Random--does anyone know how they're sent out? By name, country, whether or not you're going on, etc.? I assume they can't send out thousands of emails all at once (but who knows). 

2 hours ago, iDance said:

Starting? LOL My mind's been gone for awhile now. 

But I seem to have gotten to a kind of zen point except when I actually open my inbox (then I panic a lot and come straight here to see if anyone has gotten theirs). 

Random--does anyone know how they're sent out? By name, country, whether or not you're going on, etc.? I assume they can't send out thousands of emails all at once (but who knows). 

The year I did applied, I received an email with the subject line "Your Fulbright Application." It then read: Dear MY NAME, I am pleased to inform you that the National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education has recommended you for a grant under the Fulbright US Student Program for the academic year 2014-15." Then it had some details on what to expect next (send transcript, for example).  

We all heard through email and at the same time (rejections and acceptances). 

On 1/15/2017 at 8:46 AM, Horb said:

Thank you for this. Very positive and very true. Today let us enjoy the what ifs, tomorrow let's enjoy the good news and channel any of our disappointment into something productive!

59 minutes ago, Jess2323 said:

Thank you for this. Very positive and very true. Today let us enjoy the what ifs, tomorrow let's enjoy the good news and channel any of our disappointment into something productive!

I've been having nightmares about the Fulbright email. I'm really just ready to have my fate determined. I have a sinking feeling I didn't make it to round 2...

19 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

Same, but next year's application will be better. Stay positive, your topic sounds interesting and urgent. 

Unfortunately, there will be no next year for me.

1 hour ago, moderatedbliss said:

Gunna plan my exercising around the email tomorrow so if it's bad news, I can drown my sorrow in the leg machines. Either that or take a sad-nap. One of the two. 

So people are thinking it's gonna be tomorrow then?