Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

5 minutes ago, sam89 said:

I think regardless of when we think it'll actually come out, we're all still be frantically checking out emails at all hours of the day. Don't think I'm going to get any sanity until the emails go out!

This is my "green arrow" to you since I'm all out again. 

5 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

Anyone else kind of NOT wanna know? I sort of like living in this fantasy of pretending I've got a shot haha

Preach. Now that it is so close, if I don't make it to round 2, I'm kinda like...I would have liked to have kept the "maybe I'll win!" attitude for a little longer.

5 minutes ago, Dash123 said:

Anyone else kind of NOT wanna know? I sort of like living in this fantasy of pretending I've got a shot haha

YES! On one hand I want to know if I made it through the first round, on the other... let me live in my fantasy longer! I think the craziest part is that this is ONLY round one! Not even final decisions. That's going to be a mess eek

2 minutes ago, lizie.johnson said:

Just wanted to let everyone know that my FPA just reached out to tell us that Fulbright results will be emailed to us tomorrow directly from the Embark/Fulbright program.  So I guess I can stop obsessively checking my email for the day?

Ughhh, I have to teach undergrad seniors from 9-4 tomorrow. Now they can see what total devastation looks like :mellow: Thanks for letting us know.

12 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

Ughhh, I have to teach undergrad seniors from 9-4 tomorrow. Now they can see what total devastation looks like :mellow: Thanks for letting us know.

Honestly, I would recommend just keeping your phone off. You probably won't receive an email until near 4 anyways. Now that I know it is tomorrow, I'm planning on leaving mine at home while I go to work.

46 minutes ago, lizie.johnson said:

Just wanted to let everyone know that my FPA just reached out to tell us that Fulbright results will be emailed to us tomorrow directly from the Embark/Fulbright program.  So I guess I can stop obsessively checking my email for the day?

Ugh. Kind of grateful, kind of more stressed. Thank you for sharing!!!

24 minutes ago, iDance said:

Ugh. Kind of grateful, kind of more stressed. Thank you for sharing!!!

My heart is literally beating at a million miles an hour right now. tomorrow will arrive, good luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, lizie.johnson said:

Thanks for the info! Glad I checked here because I would've been stressin all night. 

Good luck to us all! : )

Hey All!

For those of you that have applied to countries that have less commonly taught languages (for example I applied to the Slovak Republic but hope to learn Romani as well) what are your plans for language acquisition? I have been doing a bit of work online but its nothing compared to learning in a person to person environment.

3 hours ago, lizie.johnson said:

Yeah my FPA advisor just told me the same thing. Sometime tomorrow.. sigh

57 minutes ago, iDance said:

Or you could look at it like something not-so-great happened today, so you're due a good one! :D

Yes. Yes, this is clearly it.

3 hours ago, UWI17 said:

Hey All!

For those of you that have applied to countries that have less commonly taught languages (for example I applied to the Slovak Republic but hope to learn Romani as well) what are your plans for language acquisition? I have been doing a bit of work online but its nothing compared to learning in a person to person environment.

I am applying to the Czech Republic, haven't really started aside from a couple basic vocabulary apps to get a feel for pronunciation mostly. If I make it through this first round, I'm planning to purchase more detailed resources to self-study and go for what's free online. If I am selected in like March-June, then I'll likely invest in private tutoring. That's my plan anyway. I have no delusions of being fluent by the time I would go, but if I can at least have a good grasp on some basics, I'd feel good I think.

39 minutes ago, kyjin said:

Current Fulbright here. Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck tomorrow! All the current Fulbrighters are rooting for you! 

How's your Fulbright been? Where are you and what are you doing? Any advice for us?

Best of luck from another current Fulbright! I have been in your shoes twice before, so I will be thinking about all of you today!

11 hours ago, UWI17 said:

Hey All!

I wanted to respond to this comment because I was learning Romanian to prepare for my Fulbright grant to Moldova, which is not commonly taught and the summer programs that were available in the U.S. were super expensive. I ended up traveling to Romania for a summer language study program and it was incredibly inexpensive and a very valuable experience. I realize that this is not a viable option for everyone, so I think using online tools and private tutors are great resources until you are in country. You could also try to find language partners to give you lessons online on sites like mylanguageexchange.com. That being said, taking the time to focus on language study during the first month or two of your Fulbright is completely possible even though it may seem too time consuming when you are planning how you will best utilize your grant months.

By the way, I think that your goal to learn Romani is absolutely wonderful and I am sure that it will result in some amazing experiences!

Gah. I most likely not going to be around to post on here when the announcements come out today. I just want to say you all are the best and this forum has always made my Fulbright experience so much more enjoyable. <3 Good luck! 

40 minutes ago, Photogeographic said:

Gah. I most likely not going to be around to post on here when the announcements come out today. I just want to say you all are the best and this forum has always made my Fulbright experience so much more enjoyable. <3 Good luck! 

Agreed!

11 minutes ago, describeblue said:

Good luck keeping the anxiety to a minimum, everyone! I'm rooting for us all!

I'm not sure why, but I felt like a ball of anxiety on Sunday. Today I am rather at peace and calm while at work. :P I feel like I should be more terrified right now.

Good luck to everyone! I know we are all excited to see that Fulbright email enter our inboxes!

Edited by AnnMarie

42 minutes ago, AnnMarie said:

I'm not sure why, but I felt like a ball of anxiety on Sunday. Today I am rather at peace and calm while at work. :P I feel like I should be more terrified right now.

Good luck to everyone! I know we are all excited to see that Fulbright email enter our inboxes!

On a completely unrelated note. I really like the boots/shoes in your profile picture.