Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

Welp, either way I'm flying out to Vegas tonight so I can celebrate if its good and not dwell if it's bad. Good luck, y'all - I know how much work each and every one of you put into your applications. As my academic adviser told me:

"It's really f***ing hard to convince someone to give you tens of thousands of dollars*"

2 minutes ago, ryanwinston said:

So what's the general consensus here, that we're going to hear something towards the end of the day?

I think around 4-5pm. Last year it came out around then. Although I think the year before it came out around 1pm. 

3 minutes ago, ryanwinston said:

So what's the general consensus here, that we're going to hear something towards the end of the day?

I plan to curl up in an anxiety ball between 1 and 3 (I have a meeting with my boss from 3-4) and then from 4-5.30pm. If we hear nothing today for some reason, I plan to self-combust. Go out with a bang, I say!

My guess would be 4:05pm, because why not?

4 minutes ago, Horb said:

Does anyone know why it takes so long to release results? 

No idea. Someone on the google docs sheet got an email from their host country (Finland) so they're probably ready to go

2 minutes ago, theanine said:

Dang, I guess it could be any time today then. 

Some countries email you ahead of time (I'm not sure they are supposed to, but idk). Switzerland, for example, requires an additional application section if you make it through the first round.

2 minutes ago, ryanwinston said:

Normally I'd go on a big ol bike ride after work so I don't have to stress but it's a downpour in Austin right now.

I just went to a conference in Austin! It was so nice there.

5 minutes ago, Ally K said:

You guys i discovered the best way to subvert anxiety over waiting to hear decisions .... get the norovirus! I just made it through two days of being super sick and now I'm like, oh yeah, Fulbright emails today. (Then immediately fall back asleep...) 

Feel better! 

4 minutes ago, artlesspredilection said:

Based on the Google Doc, it seems like some people are already getting notifications!

Which doc are you looking on? This one? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=929221519

It looks like just Malaysia and Finland which I heard have an additional application or something? But they were notified by their host country

13 minutes ago, moderatedbliss said:

hey, i live in portugal! Best of luck. What's your proposal about? 

Hi! Where in Portugal? I have friend in the Lisbon and Oporto areas. I want study José Saramago's cultural influences. I love his work. And continue to a series of fabulist stories set in Portugal. And a novel in the vain of Twain's, a Connecticut Yankee...., but of course a Bostonian in Lisbon. 

Are you studying or working? 

In a moment of serenity in what is to be a ~completely anxious~ afternoon, I realized that our love for research and the disciplines we're apart of will carry us far beyond today's outcome. The work we all want to do, regardless of whether or not we can through Fulbright, is necessary and important. Especially now! Best of luck y'all, I'm sending positivity!

Edited by milliedaisy

5 minutes ago, Sarahjk said:

Hi! Where in Portugal? I have friend in the Lisbon and Oporto areas. I want study José Saramago's cultural influences. I love his work. And continue to a series of fabulist stories set in Portugal. And a novel in the vain of Twain's, a Connecticut Yankee...., but of course a Bostonian in Lisbon. 

Lisbon. I'm working / teaching myself Portuguese part-time while waiting for my citizenship application to process... 

That's rad! Part of the reason I came is because I want to translate Lusitanian lit in the future. Saramago is great, but António Lobo Antunes is my favorite. :)

11 minutes ago, moderatedbliss said:

Lisbon. I'm working / teaching myself Portuguese part-time while waiting for my citizenship application to process... 

That's rad! Part of the reason I came is because I want to translate Lusitanian lit in the future. Saramago is great, but António Lobo Antunes is my favorite. :)

I have an Antunes' book on my shelf. It's in Portuguese, so it's a slow read for me. I'm taking Portuguese lessons with a tutor. I'd love to hear about your translation path. How great would be to have this literature convo over coffee in Lisbon? Here's to hoping your timely response is an auspicious omen. ??

22 minutes ago, Sarahjk said:

That sounds awesome! Did you apply under the creative arts field?

3 hours ago, BenWLol said:

No idea. Someone on the google docs sheet got an email from their host country (Finland) so they're probably ready to go

So then the host countries already have all the selected applications? That's so fast! I guess that means less waiting for whoever goes to level 2! I can't wait!?