Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

Hi all! If today is the day, good luck! 

Editing to add a request:

If you get a notification, would you mind sharing the subject line and beginning sentence with others when you post? I'm sure some of us may be working when they go out and it might serve as a peace of mind to know if one subject line leads to one thing and another to something else. 

Obviously, there is no obligation!

Edited by Horb

34 minutes ago, AnnMarie said:

What time of the day did they typically send notifications at and from what time zone? If anyone knows. 

Previous years' forums (and the handy dandy Google Doc of Doom) list averages. It's usually before close of business!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=578086360

39 minutes ago, AnnMarie said:

What time of the day did they typically send notifications at and from what time zone? If anyone knows. 

It is always EST, because that is where the office is. My year, it was between 3pm and 5pm (tons of emails to send, it takes a while).

48 minutes ago, moderatedbliss said:

If you're on the West Coast and still sleeping, consider yourself lucky. Out here in Europe trying to get along with the knowledge that I probably won't hear back until 8 or 9 PM. here. 

I'm so sorry!

8 minutes ago, Horb said:

It is always EST, because that is where the office is. My year, it was between 3pm and 5pm (tons of emails to send, it takes a while).

Horb, are you applying for a grant in the same country as a previous award? Just curious :)

19 minutes ago, ad.eundum said:

Horb, are you applying for a grant in the same country as a previous award? Just curious :)

Nope! I had applied initially for an MA in the UK. I got into a PhD program in the US and am now applying for research to Germany (I study German philosophers in addition to English lit).

Edit to add: It was weird not applying to the UK, but it just didn't make sense with what I am currently working on and the rate of acceptance for the 2 open awards, since I'd be doing only research, not a degree.

Edited by Horb

17 minutes ago, sam89 said:

What if it's all just a big troll and they don't release anything today... been checking my emails every few minutes today! There goes any hope of being productive today! 

Basically my big worry, especially with the email that the FPA got. The email-to-grad cafe-to-actually check whats going on in class-back-to-emails pattern is real today. >_< Please let it be today!!!

Edited by iDance
I forgot to finish my sentence lol

9 minutes ago, iDance said:

Basically my big worry, especially with the email that the FPA got. The email-to-grad cafe-to-actually check whats going on in class-back-to-emails pattern is real today. >_< Please let it be today!!!

I think it'll happen tomorrow, actually. 

2 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

I can also see this happening as they might need a day to get their shit together after the federal holiday.

Well also, when I applied, someone said FPA heard it'd be before X date and then it happened the next day. PURE coincidence, perhaps, but idk.

3 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

I can also see this happening as they might need a day to get their shit together after the federal holiday.

I definitely agree. I also think that the office was probably aware that the 17th falls after the holiday when putting that date so deliberately on the website; idk if that means they prepared in advance to send today, but that's a possibility! But then again they also specifically say by the 30th in other places-- feels like it could be any day at this point. 

2 minutes ago, milliedaisy said:

I definitely agree. I also think that the office was probably aware that the 17th falls after the holiday when putting that date so deliberately on the website; idk if that means they prepared in advance to send today, but that's a possibility! But then again they also specifically say by the 30th in other places-- feels like it could be any day at this point. 

Yeah, in my email confirmation, it said mid-January, under the timeline on the website, it says the 30th, and on that other part, it says Jan. 17. idk anymore!