Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

@AnnMarie Wow! You did get lucky! I bet her being a Fulbright fellow herself will really give you an advantage as she might have a better idea of what to write to snag you a spot.

At first I was pretty lost. I wasn't even sure what to research, I didn't know what the major ecological issue was in Poland and I wanted to research something that actually needed researching. I was lucky in that my father had a friend who was a plant pathologist in Poland. (I should mention here that my dad is Polish and that I was born in Poland but grew up in South Florida). I wanted nothing to do with plant pathology but this friend was an amazingly helpful person who immediately emailed some random scientists who worked in my topics of interests (who she didn't even know herself) and threw us together! It made it so much less awkward XD My mentor and I have extensively discussed my research and I think my affiliation is in pretty good shape. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when the Polish board is making decisions. What is it they're looking for!? 

I've been to Poland quite a bit myself to visit family. Did you try to downplay your visits since the Fulbright usually doesn't want you to have too much prior contact?

I've haven't spent any real time in Warszawa, must be why I didn't realize that about the Vietnamese migrants.

3 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

@AnnMarie Wow! You did get lucky! I bet her being a Fulbright fellow herself will really give you an advantage as she might have a better idea of what to write to snag you a spot.

At first I was pretty lost. I wasn't even sure what to research, I didn't know what the major ecological issue was in Poland and I wanted to research something that actually needed researching. I was lucky in that my father had a friend who was a plant pathologist in Poland. (I should mention here that my dad is Polish and that I was born in Poland but grew up in South Florida). I wanted nothing to do with plant pathology but this friend was an amazingly helpful person who immediately emailed some random scientists who worked in my topics of interests (who she didn't even know herself) and threw us together! It made it so much less awkward XD My mentor and I have extensively discussed my research and I think my affiliation is in pretty good shape. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when the Polish board is making decisions. What is it they're looking for!? 

I've been to Poland quite a bit myself to visit family. Did you try to downplay your visits since the Fulbright usually doesn't want you to have too much prior contact?

I've haven't spent any real time in Warszawa, must be why I didn't realize that about the Vietnamese migrants.

That's super lucky that your dad knew someone there! That sounds like you got a pretty good affiliation letter! :)

I don't try to play down my visits too much as they were just to see family. I didn't really talk about them in any of my papers, though. I only mentioned it in the experience abroad section during the application. My fulbright advisor also reassured me my family visits wouldn't impact their decision on my application in a negative way.

Do you speak any Polish? I have been looking for someone to practice with recently. I was talking to my family in Polish a few months ago and they began giggling at my after I was done speaking. I asked what was so funny and they told me I talk like a 5 year old in Polish because of my grammar. Haha. So I've become very proactive in fixing my Polish grammar but goodness it is difficult. I had an easier time learning Chinese grammar rules. 

@AnnMarie Lol, I wish there was more consistency with Fulbright advisers. Mine told me I definitely had to downplay my visits. AAAHH! There are so many components to the application that you could be rejected and never know why >< 

I do speak Polish but similarly, my grammar isn't perfect. I spoke English at home and really only used Polish when I was visiting or on the phone with family. I think it would be helpful though to practice Polish with you. Maybe we each have different strengths and can grow off of each other :) I'm most stressed about talking about scientific topics. I am basically just hoping that I would get the hang of it as fast as possible once I was there. Don't really know where else I could learn scientific Polish lingo.

1 hour ago, sat0ri said:

Hey, IIRC you applied to Africa last year (and ended up getting funding with Nat Geo?). How'd you decide on Indonesia this round? I'm just curious

I did ! I applied to Kenya twice actually ?. Once with a focus on elephant poaching, the second time I wanted to research human-elephant conflict. Ended up a semi-finalist and when I didn't get it was lucky enough to apply for a young explorers grant and got funding ! After gaining more experience with elephants in Kenya I thought it would be worth applying to indo to work w Asian/Sumatran elephants. 

Althought not feelin so confident this time around w Fulbright I'm glad I applied ... anxiously awaiting the results ! 

Thanks for asking ! ? 

1 hour ago, Photogeographic said:

I did ! I applied to Kenya twice actually ?. Once with a focus on elephant poaching, the second time I wanted to research human-elephant conflict. Ended up a semi-finalist and when I didn't get it was lucky enough to apply for a young explorers grant and got funding ! After gaining more experience with elephants in Kenya I thought it would be worth applying to indo to work w Asian/Sumatran elephants. 

Althought not feelin so confident this time around w Fulbright I'm glad I applied ... anxiously awaiting the results ! 

Thanks for asking ! ? 

Oh very cool. There is some continuity and hopefully that experience makes you that much stronger of an applicant!

9 hours ago, Mossy.artist said:

Sounds good. I get the idea that the stronger affiliation you have in your host country, the better your chances are. 

I applied to Poland to research endangered mosses. I'm hoping that if I get selected I'll get to do some travel around Europe in any free time. I've always wanted to go to Scotland!

The Fulbright has really strict policies for travel,'just so you know. My friend was told no more than two weeks outside her country.

10 hours ago, Mossy.artist said:

Yeah. I haven't really applied to anything else...about to soon but my heart isn't really in it. I just put so much work into the Fulbright application! Not to mention, I feel bad applying to things that I might end up turning down, hate to cause all that trouble.

From what I've been reading it seems like quite a lot of people get a "yes" at first only to get a "no" down the line. The wait time is pretty ridiculous considering we put in our apps in October!

Where are you applying to?

I was told they accept 1.5-2 times the number of grants for round one. Some countries definitely have more rejections post round 1 than others.

2 hours ago, Horb said:

The Fulbright has really strict policies for travel,'just so you know. My friend was told no more than two weeks outside her country.

Well that is understandable, not like I would have that much free time anyway! I just meant like maybe short weekend trips. Its better than nothing! And then there is always the period of time after completion. Which country did your friend apply to?

1 hour ago, thepictureisstill said:

:wacko: Here's to hoping the committees throw a curveball and send out responses today. 

I'm hoping it is today given that the first was a Friday in 2016, so it was just barely the third Friday, but in all likelihood, it'll be next Friday. However, when I last applied, it was a Wednesday, 1/28...

30 minutes ago, ryanwinston said:

Gee wiz dude, anyone else have nailbiting anticipation with this? Most likely next Friday given the history of it all. Happy Friday the 13th!

Me, all the way. I know it's unlikely to hear today, but there's still a little part of me that's all "...what if?"

1 hour ago, ryanwinston said:

Gee wiz dude, anyone else have nailbiting anticipation with this? Most likely next Friday given the history of it all. Happy Friday the 13th!

yuuup. Things are slow at work this month so this is pretty much the only thing in my life right now that has some kind of momentum! 

14 minutes ago, Photogeographic said:

Does anyone have an FPA who has a close in with Fulbright ? I can vaguely remember people in the past getting a heads up close to the date from their FPA. But I could just be dream'n 

Mine told me to let her know when I hear something (although I assume she'd get an email too?), so I don't think she knows. I'm also applying through a really small college that's never had a student get one before, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

My email checking is getting to the point of being overly obsessive. But I can't stop. Like, I know it probably won't be today and if it is it'll probably be after 9am PST just so at least the continental US is all awake, but my logic has been overrun by nerves. 

1 hour ago, Photogeographic said:

Does anyone have an FPA who has a close in with Fulbright ? I can vaguely remember people in the past getting a heads up close to the date from their FPA. But I could just be dream'n 

FPA=Fulbright Program Advisor, yes? 

UM Fulbright sent the following email this morning:

Hello all,

We hope that the start of 2017 is treating you all well.

We wanted to take a brief moment to remind you about the application process and next steps for you as a 2017-18 Fulbright U.S. Student Program applicant.

1. Initial Notifications on Application Status will be sent by January 30, 2017All applicants are notified (via email) as to whether they were designated as "Recommended/Semi-Finalists" or "Non-Recommended" by the Fulbright National Screening Committee.  

•  If you are selected as "Recommended/Semi-Finalist," please be sure to read the email from the Fulbright Commission carefully. All information about next steps will be in the email and notification letter. The email will tell you who to contact at national headquarters if you have questions. It is important to note that while an accomplishment, recommendation/Semi-finalist status is not receipt of a grant. Recommended/Semi-Finalist applications are forwarded to the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in the host country for additional review.
  • If you are designated as "Non-Recommended," U-M Fulbright Program Advisors are happy to talk with you about resubmitting an application for the 2018-19 grant cycle. We will be holding office hours throughout the semester and are happy to meet with you in person, via phone, or Google Chat. These appointments can be made online using our appointment scheduler. Click here to schedule an appointment. Please note that it is the policy of the Fulbright Board that reasons for non-recommendation of candidates not be given. In many cases, candidates were well qualified to receive a grant and no one specific factor, other than the sheer number of applications to their specific country prohibited them from reaching the next stage. 

2. Final Notifications on Application Status will be sent beginning in March 2017.
  • Notification begins early March and continues throughout the spring (late May 2017). Notification dates vary by country.
  • All candidates in this round are notified as to whether they have been "selected for an award," designated as "alternates," or "non-selected." 
  • If you are "selected for an award," please be sure to read the email from the Fulbright Commission closely. Please take note that the email will tell you who to contact at national headquarters if you have questions about your award.
  • If you are designated as an "alternate," please be sure to read the email from the Fulbright Commission closely.  Please take note that the email will tell you who to contact at national headquarters if you have questions about your status.
  • If you are designated as "non-Selected," U-M Fulbright Program Advisors are happy to talk with you about resubmitting an application for the 2018-19 grant cycle. We will be holding office hours throughout the summer and are happy to meet with you in person, via phone, or Google Chat.These appointments can be made online using our appointment scheduler. Click here to schedule an appointment.  Please note that it is the policy of the Fulbright Board that reasons for non-select of candidates not be given.

If you have any questions about the above process, please let us know.

We wish you all the best of luck with the competition!

"

8 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

Hello all,

We wanted to take a brief moment to remind you about the application process and next steps for you as a 2017-18 Fulbright U.S. Student Program applicant.

1. Initial Notifications on Application Status will be sent by January 30, 2017All applicants are notified (via email) as to whether they were designated as "Recommended/Semi-Finalists" or "Non-Recommended" by the Fulbright National Screening Committee.  

•  If you are selected as "Recommended/Semi-Finalist," please be sure to read the email from the Fulbright Commission carefully. All information about next steps will be in the email and notification letter. The email will tell you who to contact at national headquarters if you have questions. It is important to note that while an accomplishment, recommendation/Semi-finalist status is not receipt of a grant. Recommended/Semi-Finalist applications are forwarded to the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in the host country for additional review.
  • If you are designated as "Non-Recommended," U-M Fulbright Program Advisors are happy to talk with you about resubmitting an application for the 2018-19 grant cycle. We will be holding office hours throughout the semester and are happy to meet with you in person, via phone, or Google Chat. These appointments can be made online using our appointment scheduler. Click here to schedule an appointment. Please note that it is the policy of the Fulbright Board that reasons for non-recommendation of candidates not be given. In many cases, candidates were well qualified to receive a grant and no one specific factor, other than the sheer number of applications to their specific country prohibited them from reaching the next stage. 

2. Final Notifications on Application Status will be sent beginning in March 2017.
  • Notification begins early March and continues throughout the spring (late May 2017). Notification dates vary by country.
  • All candidates in this round are notified as to whether they have been "selected for an award," designated as "alternates," or "non-selected." 
  • If you are "selected for an award," please be sure to read the email from the Fulbright Commission closely. Please take note that the email will tell you who to contact at national headquarters if you have questions about your award.
  • If you are designated as an "alternate," please be sure to read the email from the Fulbright Commission closely.  Please take note that the email will tell you who to contact at national headquarters if you have questions about your status.
  • If you are designated as "non-Selected," U-M Fulbright Program Advisors are happy to talk with you about resubmitting an application for the 2018-19 grant cycle. We will be holding office hours throughout the summer and are happy to meet with you in person, via phone, or Google Chat.These appointments can be made online using our appointment scheduler. Click here to schedule an appointment.  Please note that it is the policy of the Fulbright Board that reasons for non-select of candidates not be given.

"

When did you receive this? Or, was it sent to an FPA and forwarded to you?

(also: hi everyone, I applied for France, currently going low key nuts for all the same reasons.)

19 minutes ago, thepictureisstill said:

Hello all,

"

The fulbright website says mid January, for what it's worth

25 minutes ago, lia.md said:

When did you receive this? Or, was it sent to an FPA and forwarded to you?

(also: hi everyone, I applied for France, currently going low key nuts for all the same reasons.)

I received this email this morning from the Fulbright Program Advisors at the University of Michigan.

@Horb yeah I think the advisors at UM put that date just as a buffer (aka don't start emailing about when results will come in...until January 30)

Edited by thepictureisstill

14 minutes ago, Mossy.artist said:

So we know the approximate date of notification from previous years...Is there an approximate time of day? If we don't get anything by 5pm is it safe to assume we'll have to wait till next week?

You can look through the spreadsheet to see past notification dates. Some people listed the time of their notification last year and it was around 4pm EST. I imagine notifications will be sent before the end of business hours EST. My FPA told me he expects notifications to go out the third week of January. I'm hoping we hear by next Friday!

Edited by catsbloom