Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

41 minutes ago, Stormtrooper1138 said:

UK finalists congratulations! If you aren't going to accept because you have other offers please do so soon so the rest of us alternates could receive these opportunities.

If I could 'like' this 100x, I so would. Yes, PLEASE! Living in this limbo any longer than necessary is gonna kill me, I know it.

54 minutes ago, caeiro said:

Those who must choose between several fellowship offers—follow the money or the Fulbright name & network? I got in touch with a former Fulbrighter from my host country to find out more about stipend amounts. I'd be getting an extra $400 dollars per month if I declined the FB in favor of an institutional grant (designed for graduating seniors).  

Depends - will the $400/month prevent you from adequately completing your project? Is it necessary for living expenses? If so, then the institutional grant seems like the right choice. If not, I think the Fulbright network and name recognition would be more important. 

Also, on a side note, that's great that your undergrad institution offers a grant like that - I wish mine had done the same!

1 minute ago, m1087 said:

@gorilla_queen @pengpolaruin @lightaheadi

Do any of you guys know whether the East Asia rep is even in this week? I think someone mentioned before that no one answered the phone today when they tried calling.

@m1087 I have not. The only thing I heard about him was from last week, when someone confirmed he was away.  Though he SHOULD be back by now.

During the application process I called to get some questions answered.  Out of my 6 calls, I only got a hold of him ONCE. He's super hard to get ahold of, and I assume during this time it's even worse. 

5 hours ago, Dilemma1 said:

I'm so sorry Medievalist :( I was so hoping you would get principal status!  Yes this is a huge accomplishment (a reminder that I need to keep telling myself). I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will be bumped up!  

Thank you so much for your kind words, they mean a lot! ❤ It was so hard for me to keep my spirits up and finish out the rest of my work day after getting the email. Praying that BOTH of us get bumped up ASAP! We've worked so hard for this, and we didn't come this far to give up now! *high fives* 

Anybody accepted try logging in to the Self-Service Portal yet? I did and nothing showed up (i.e. it let me log in but the grant listing was blank).

@pengpolaruin  @m1087 @lightaheadi Also drinking wine to pass these nights... I feel like the amount of spreadsheet checking and forum refreshing I'm doing is taking a serious toll on my health, lol. Maybe I'll limit myself to once per day? When all the Sub-Saharan African countries came out I lost it because I thought we would come in another wave. 

2 minutes ago, gorilla_queen said:

@pengpolaruin  @m1087 @lightaheadi Also drinking wine to pass these nights... I feel like the amount of spreadsheet checking and forum refreshing I'm doing is taking a serious toll on my health, lol. Maybe I'll limit myself to once per day? When all the Sub-Saharan African countries came out I lost it because I thought we would come in another wave. 

I was sure it was going to be this week. But it seems like this is an abnormal notification period with all these inconsistencies. 

I tried limiting myself but I'm losing ALL self control LOL!

4 minutes ago, kyjin said:

For East-Asia people: I know Japan has picked but is just waiting for final commission approval to announce. Hang in there!

Congrats to everyone who heard today!!

thank you for the info! How do you know this?? I wish I had an informant lol 

5 hours ago, inkstainedarm said:

@medievalist86 and @McGhee Thank you!! I'm so beyond excited to study at UEA! I just wish more of us had been accepted. @medievalist86 and @Dilemma1, sending you all the good vibes and good fortune and hoping you get bumped up (or, barring that, that you win your other scholarships)! I'm so grateful for how wonderfully supportive all of you on this forum have been, and I hope that if this year isn't your year, next year will be!

I bet you are! It's an amazing school, Norwich is beautiful and the professors are awesome! I hope you have as wonderful an experience there as I did! Thank you, I so appreciate that. My only other choice is an online degree I have to foot the bill for, so I put all my hopes on the Fulbright for the 3rd year in a row. :( I have to make a decision whether or not to accept my backup program by 4/15, so I'm praying I get my Fulbright award by then! Have a great weekend, and congrats again!!! ????

24 minutes ago, gorilla_queen said:

@kyjin omg that is so exciting for me and I didn't even apply to Japan. How did you get that info?

@lightaheadi Maybe that means they have the info for us and the commission is doing the final approval. :D I love reading into little details that may or may not mean anything. 

OMG THIS JUST GOT MY HOPES UP EVEN MORE! I have no self control - pls hurry Korea. 

2 hours ago, maelia8 said:

Anybody accepted try logging in to the Self-Service Portal yet? I did and nothing showed up (i.e. it let me log in but the grant listing was blank).

It took a day or two for them to register me in the system!

Has anybody heard back from their host country commission? I'm supposed to return the Grant Authorization Document, but I haven't received it yet! Just wondering when I should start freaking out?

Question for people here. So I got an alternate status but I'm already touching up my application to resubmit next year since I strongly believe in my research. I had an interview and the panel that spoke to me seemed perplexed about my community outreach part of my application. (I don't know if ETA applicants have to do that). But I love nature and I spend most if my time out in it while not in work. So I contacted a nature park in warsaw to volunteer for. 

The people that interviewed me didn't seem impressed by it and said my skills would be better used for volunteering in a local immigration NGO because my project was on immigration to Poland. This threw me off because I was under the impression my community outreach could be geared toward anything. 

I guess my question is this: what was your community outreach idea and was it in the same field as your project proposal?

I've already contacted an NGO in warsaw to see if I can volunteer with them for next year.

Edited by AnnMarie

Going to have a drink tonight for this forum. I have never been so engaged in a dialogue with as much momentum as i did this. Everyone here was so friendly and helpful, and reminded me of why i chose to pursue graduate school in the first place. To be surrounded by like-minded scholars such as you guys makes the world of a difference in me continuing to work hard and strive for higher education. Also, that google spreadsheet was impressive. Wow! The force is real. If the planets are aligned right, I hope to run into some of you in the future. 

Cheers. Don't stop reaching for those goals. If you have come this far, you have come a long way.

5 minutes ago, Sigwarz said:

Going to have a drink tonight for this forum. I have never been so engaged in a dialogue with as much momentum as i did this. Everyone here was so friendly and helpful, and reminded me of why i chose to pursue graduate school in the first place. To be surrounded by like-minded scholars such as you guys makes the world of a difference in me continuing to work hard and strive for higher education. Also, that google spreadsheet was impressive. Wow! The force is real. If the planets are aligned right, I hope to run into some of you in the future. 

Cheers. Don't stop reaching for those goals. If you have come this far, you have come a long way.

Indeed, this forum is very supportive of each other and i have yet to hear anything that puts anyone down. 

As a former applicant to medical school, the medical school forum is very different. A lot less supporting in my personal opinion

3 hours ago, gorilla_queen said:

Anyone else waiting on East Asia-Pacific and want to vent? I've been silently stalking this forum for awhile but it's gotten to the point where I just need an outlet for this stress!!! So confused about the previous notification dates, they seem all over the board, and Australia is the only one from our region that's been notified. Is it true that they are trying to notify everyone by April 1st, or was that just a hopeful rumor? 

CONGRATS to everyone who has received good news, and for those who haven't, I'm so sorry-- I hope you will continue to work towards your goal, whether it is a project or teaching. 

I hope its not a rumor! I want to find out now. The wait is killing me.

I have so many dreams about what I would do with my grant.

38 minutes ago, Sigwarz said:

Not going to lie, this kind of made me tear up a little bit. You guys are all so amazing and brilliant - couldn't be more thankful to embark on this journey with you! 

Cheers, indeed! Congrats to everyone who has been selected - and press on to all those who are alternates or non-selects, you are rock stars :) 

Edited by pengpolaruin