I got into a Christian school but Im SO not Christian

LTee

Has anyone else been in this situation? Im not sure what to do and it MAY be the only school I was admitted to. Im not so much worried about the academic life as I am the social networking life. Any advice?

I was thinking about applying to a school like that. I read the rules they have in place such as dress code and how you should have your hair. In the end, I decided not to apply.

Oh wow this school had NO such rules. The school obviously was founded by Christians and they have a lot of theology courses etc., but other than that it didn't seem like they shoved in your face, and when I visited the faculty didn't even mention religion, however the applicants there seemed VERY religious. I was hoping I wouldnt be the only odd-ball but I surely felt like it. Maybe its not even a big deal? Its still an education right? I don't know.

Yes, still an education. I think it's definitely worth keeping in mind that just because it's a Christian school doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other students who, like yourself, are interested in the school because of what it has to offer academically rather than spiritually. I say this without knowing what school you refer to, but overall I think this is generally true.

Did the applicants who "seemed very religious" try to convert you or something? How exactly did they "seem religious"? Do you think they seemed this way because it was something you were worried about to begin with?

Also, I've been friends with Christians before. They're not so bad, you know? But now I'll borrow a phrase from another avid poster on this forum; YMMV.*

*Hope this isn't academically dishonest, I'm not sure who says this although I know I've run across it once or twice on this forum. If I knew who you were, I'd cite you I swear.

I sensed a religious atmosphere because the interview process was done as a group, and it was very in depth. Therefore I was able to get to know some of the applicants and many spoke of God in relation to the interview.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Im not sure what to do and it MAY be the only school I was admitted to. Im not so much worried about the academic life as I am the social networking life. Any advice?

What sort of city is the school located in? If it's a small town where students comprise 90% of the population, I would be wary. (But I would still go if it were the only place I got in.)

If, on the other hand, it's located in a large city, there should be plenty of people for you to hang out with who are not Christian.

(FWIW...one of my sisters teaches at a Catholic university, and I think her belief system is currently agnostic. And no, we weren't raised Catholic, either. So don't be too sure that your professors will all be die-hard Christians. People take tenure-track jobs where they can get them.)

I'm currently a master's student at a Catholic university, but I'm atheist. While the crucifix is in EVERY classroom (seriously, just that, they apparently couldn't invest in putting clocks in as well), I don't see religion really playing a role, apart from there being a lot of emails from Father something-or-other and a higher prevalence of Catholic students. Most of my professors and classmates are Protestant or "other" (my guess is more like me, or agnostic, but not sure), and the religious thing really isn't an issue at all. Everyone is pretty "normal." :P I went there because it's a quality program, and I'm very happy with my decision. Granted, I'm an advocate of public schools and really don't like the religious affiliation that a lot of private schools have, but...eh, it isn't such a big deal.

Oddly the school I visited didn't have clocks either. Might I add, I have no problem whatsoever with christians, Im just hesitant that a) I might not fit in socially and I want to because I will be moving far from home, and B) Im hoping its not an issue that Im NOT christian. I doubt it would be, its not like anywhere in the application did they ask "what is your religion????" but then again perhaps they assume I wouldn't apply if I weren't in fact christian.

If it's not a confessional institution (i.e. you have to sign some sort of statement of faith to be a student/faculty there) it shouldn't be a big deal. A lot of schools have historical ties to religious institutions, but a lot of the time the ties are in name only.

a lot of those universities also have completely different demographics at undergrad and grad levels. For instance, Notre Dame is something on the order of 95% catholic at the undergrad level and 30% at the grad.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see why it should even be considered a problem. They're Christians, not lepers.

I can see a lot of reasons why it would be a problem, especially depending on how someone identifies and what type of "Christian" the environment seems to be. I personally would never apply to a conservative religious school or a school in a conservative religious area due to my own strongly-held progressive positions as well as my positioning as a lesbian and a married lesbian at that. Given the fact that conservative Christian environments can be extremely alienating [to put it mildly] for those who don't identify that way, I would definitely research the situation more. I agree that the original poster should determine how strong the environment is, how big the area is, etc. It would most definitely be a red flag for me.

I am in the same situation as you!! Initially I was worried about what the social aspect of the school was going to be like but as I looked more into the school and my program, I don't have those same concerns. This school seems very open to all types of people and have treated me extremely well during my application process.

What school are you considering?

I took some classes UG at a school with Abbey in the name. It was ok -- academically rigorous and all -- but there was definitely an agreed upon worldview, you know? Take for instance a class on Nietzsche where everyone but me seemed to be ok with considering him as a bit of a prankster. It did undermine how we discussed his philosophy. Or when the entire school was abuzz with an anti-abortion rally they were going to and I kinda wanted to vomit. Or when a prof framed everything in a literature class in the schema of a great chain of being. I did, however, enjoy studying the bible as a historical document and the people were super nice. But there were some considerations about how open profs and students were to contradicting opinions. Its not that they were actively against debate but that because everyone seemed to have the same default position that there was no debate.

It could be an UG and grad difference though. I'd suggest sitting in on a class?

Can you talk to current grad students? Since you're more worried about the social aspect than the academic, they would be the best ones to speak to that. I'm sure if you are open about your concerns (and you're in! so you have a little more freedom in how you present yourself), they'll be able to give you an honest answer about how much the religious aspect of the school permeates campus life.

That said, I work at a Christian school in the Deep South, and I'd say the majority of us faculty and many of the students are agnostic, some are other religions, and the Christians are quite tolerant and open. Then there are schools down the road that are EXTREMELY religious, and have anti-abortion rallies, condone homophobic sentiment, and spout the kind of intolerant dogma that makes my blood boil a little. So it really depends on the school, and the best way to find out if it's a significant enough issue to be alienating for you is through the people who are there and have an inside view.

Edited by intextrovert

I just started a PhD program at a Catholic university, and this issue was something I was also concerned about. There is a religious tone to my program in general because religion is one of the main strengths - and many of those in this subfield are more religious than others. That being said - when I went to the admitted students weekend, I asked a lot of questions about religion, the role it plays in the program and where the grad students fit in with it. Talk with the people who are there, perhaps those you feel comfortable asking (if you have that opportunity) to get a sense of what goes on. When I got here, I found a niche of students who were agnostic, atheist or did not care if I was religious or not - and those are the people I've become close to. There is a clique of students who are more religious than others, and while I interact with them, I do not tell them I went out the previous Friday drinking and dancing with my friends (there has been talk of 'gossip' starting among this clique about others' extracurricular activities).

At the same time, I still am faced with some aspects of religion in my daily life, but I'm coming to accept certain things. Like another poster mentioned, there is a crucifix in every classroom instead of a clock. We pray before every departmental meal. I have to 'work the system' to receive care for reproductive health issues. But on the whole, it's really been okay (for me anyway).

Like another poster mentioned, there is a crucifix in every classroom instead of a clock.

Not to start a tangent that's off topic (but okay yeah)...the fact that three of us at different institutions have crucifixes in our classrooms but no clocks makes me wonder. I get the crucifix, but is there something about a clock being a bad thing in classrooms at Catholic schools? A quick google search has yielded no definitive results. Now I'm really getting curious...

I think I should take this on as my next research project, in lieu of doing actual research that I should, in fact, be working on.

Edited by alexis

As a current student at a Catholic university, I can tell you we do have classroom clocks! (And crucifixes, too.) Your label "Christian" is too broad to guess what sort of role religion will play at the school. I can tell you from experience that Catholic universities will not try to convert you; any one that did would really be the exception rather than the rule. Catholic universities have a lot of tradition when it comes to "educating the whole person" and things like that, and you'll certainly hear many ideas and themes imbued with religion, but if you're not religious and they don't mean anything to you, that more than likely will not be a problem. It will not get shoved down your throat. At my school, atheists teach alongside priests and it's no big deal. There are more professors interested in religion than at other schools probably, but all sorts of professors, and students, often appreciate the background and tradition that come with Catholic universities.

As I said, that's just my experience at my own school and visiting over a dozen Catholic universities. I can't answer to any of the other types of Christian universities.

Thanks again for the insight, and perhaps Im making this into a bigger deal than it should be. Its just that I applied to the program because I liked it, and I felt I might have a good chance at getting in. But after going to the group interview I was a bit shocked by how much the candidates spoke of their faith, god, etc. Again I have no problem with this I just wasn't expecting it. I guess my fear is that I will start a program in which I have to move out of state for, away from my loved ones, and not be able to make connections due to my very liberal attitude and downright sick sense of humor. Its nice to know others have been in my position.

I attended an uber Christian school for my Masters, where, when I expressed an interest, a professor invited me to Church. I am a smoker, and at the time, was a heavy drinker, both of which this particular religion (SDA) condemns. They also condemn dancing, and I danced quite a bit at the time. Some of my closest friends had either dropped out of or been expelled from this particular school. However, I found that the students were welcoming, and bright; treated me as an equal; and did not engage in proselytizing--perhaps they figured I was a lost cause. When I inquired, politely, about their religious beliefs, even professors were open and shared. Apart from some religious course content which I found droll, I was entirely satisfied and happy as at student there. In essence, I would do it again.

However, I do find myself saying, I went to X AND I'm not SDA...

Retrospectively, there was much to be learned about a healthy lifestyle that I missed out on as a student there due to my "alternative" leanings.

New experiences, interaction with all varieties of people, etc., enchant me, so I wouldn't recommend this course of action for everyone. Also, I am very outgoing and don't allow myself to be stepped on. I did engage in prayer at this school. IN CLASS. With an open mind, and heart. I am, to this day, agnostic for the most part.

You can make it work, if you want, is the bottom line. One more thing: because this was an Adventist school, they had connections and job contacts for (you guessed it!) other Adventist schools. Because I am not Adventist, I was not eligible for any of these jobs. I did my outside job-seeking on my own.

Do you mind me asking what school you attended? I have been accepted into Fordham and am wondering about what the school is like in terms of being outwardly religious. I'm also curious about the social aspect. I am Catholic but I am not overly religious at all. I just wanna make sure I go to a school where I am going to fit in!

I think it depends on the school. Perhaps also how conservative the school is as someone already mentioned. I took a business course at Liberty U and I personally wouldn't take another class there. I am also SO not Christian, but I do appreciate the study of the Bible. However, if I sign up for a business class, I don't want to have to interpret the bible or provide supporting evidence from the Bible about such Business topics.  So it depends on the school and you specifically. If you can visit, I would say visit.

myoung84, Fordham is an Jesuit University but I believe its Liberal also...

Do you mind me asking what school you attended? I have been accepted into Fordham and am wondering about what the school is like in terms of being outwardly religious. I'm also curious about the social aspect. I am Catholic but I am not overly religious at all. I just wanna make sure I go to a school where I am going to fit in!

You should not have anything to worry about in terms of Fordham being in-your-face with religion. Religious opportunities (eg, liturgy, spiritual advising, even retreats) will be there if you seek them out, but nothing will be forced on you. The grad students will probably not be much different from grad students at any other university. Jesuit schools in general tend to be very welcoming regardless of what background you're coming from. I've found it's a nice atmosphere, really.

Edited by rwfan88