If you get in next year, how old will you be when you start your PhD?

a fragrant plant

I'll finish my MA next year and, if accepted, will be 39 when I start the Ph.D. I've worked in several fields, owned two business, have three kids and a great spouse. It's a good time for me to start because my professional life has taught me a lot about myself and how I work best, I won't have to be a broke grad student, and my kids are getting to be old enough that they can be more self-sufficient. The hard parts are that my kids and spouse still do deserve attention from me so I can't just bury myself in the library for days on end. Picking up and moving across the country is a bigger deal when I'm selling a house, selling a business, taking the kids out of school, and forcing my spouse to rearrange his worklife completely. It's different for everyone, I guess. I wouldn't have been ready when I was 21,

probably not even when I was 31.

This is so near my story, except I have only ever worked in one field, and I may be post-40 when I do get to start a PhD. My husband is currently working on his PhD, and at 33 was one of the younger when he started. That seems more typical in Education, however. But I am supporting the family right now (full time work, full time master's program, full time crazy!) so until he finishes his PhD I will wait to start mine.

I'll be starting my MA this fall and I'll be 25 when I start (I'll turn 26 right after the semester starts!). The program should take 1.5-2 years and then I'll be 27. I'm still not positive I want to go on to a PhD. Theres a chance I might do an MFA instead (Also somewhat of a terminal degree). I need to figure out exactly what track I need to be on and there is still a lot of things up in the air in my life, thus the MA choice over the PhD. However if I do start a PhD i'll most likely be 28 or 29, which means I'd finish said PhD between 33 and 35. Wow. I hadn't comped it out like that. Chances are I'll go back into the prof world and try to make some money again after the Masters, but it could all change. Life is up in the air all the time. I definitly don't regret waiting to go back. I've learned so much, and because I'm in the arts (Theatre), it's extremely important to know that this field is what you want before you go and get an advanced degree in it. We'll see how it all goes :).

I'll be 22 when I start, I may be going into a Master's or PhD program depending on where I get in. I just want to get in somewhere because I can't imagine having to put my life on hold and delay everything for a year. I honestly don't know what I would do with myself, I don't want to be in my mid 20s and 30s just getting my act together, I want to be settled with a family by then. I've applied to 13 schools with 3 on backup to try to avoid this.huh.gif

Socnerd, this is exactly the lack of patience and self awareness that waytooold mentioned. Though I do see that you are very energetic and passionate about your life goals. That is wonderful and that's what will make you a rock star in your field. Do your thing!

I'll be 32 and I'll quickly turn 33 when I begin my Ph.D. Believe me, I know I'm not old and I'm definitely not the wisest person out there.

For me, the timing is perfect. At one of my interviews, there were several 24 year-olds. If the timing was perfect for them, so be it. However, while I was nervous because I'd never had a pre-Ph.D. interview (no frame of reference), they were a lot less patient and a lot less self-aware about so many other things that weekend. I mean, pounding shot after shot... really? Just because the "official" interview is over doesn't mean the interview is over.

I also knew, as another poster mentioned, that a rejection from a school wouldn't define me. Some of these folks changed their answers to presumed questions because someone who had been interviewed earlier answered a certain way. This is not to say that every 24 year-old binge drinks or is insecure about their work/background. I just want to say that patience and true confidence come with a few years under your belt.

Anyway, a year is just a few days in the grand scheme of things. Think about what you were doing exactly one year ago. Time flies. One year won't throw anything off. Trust me. I can tell you that at 22 I had no idea I'd ever be starting a Ph.D. program. My plan was to get a B.A. and bounce.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

Youth is wasted on the young...

I'll stop here.

27 now, will be 28 when I start in the fall.

Finished BS when I was 20, tried to apply to grad school but didn't really take it seriously, didn't get accepted anywhere. Bummed around for a year, joined the military, got married, got out, didn't do so well on the subject GRE, worked for 2.5 years, improved subject GRE score, and here I am... more focused by 10,000-fold.

Edited by BongRips69

Wow, a lot of you guys are really young!

I'll be at the ripe old age of 26. Went to do my MA straight out of undergrad. At 22/3, I was actually younger than some of the students that I TA-ed at my MA program. That was a little nerve-wrecking.

At 22/3, I was actually younger than some of the students that I TA-ed at my MA program.

Bwaha, yeah. I'll be 21 when I start my PhD, and this post reminded me of one of those first-year undergrad icebreakers and the person I was talking to was 21... Oh well, I've been reading various bits of advice for being young and dealing with students, and I'll manage (academicsanon and gradstudents livejournal). Will be interestng, though :P.

I just feel like I don't have any other options. Most people I know who only have a Bachelor's are working 4 part time jobs just trying to make ends meet. There are very few job prospects out there for my field with only a B.A., I'd probably look for months and end up doing something I wouldn't have needed a college degree for anyway. Things look so bleak out there that I'm afraid of what will happen to me if I don't get into grad school, like I'll never have a chance at a decent-paying job. I can't afford to just float around for a year and go through the application process again. My parents have moved 3000 miles away, I have nowhere to go home to and I have no other connections/opportunities to get it together, this is my chance, I just hope I don't screw it up.

I'm the same... but my birthday's in December. I'm a little worried about that coming up during the visit weekends, especially at the events with alcohol.

I skipped a few grades in elementary school, so I'm sort of in the same position. From experience as a undergrad TA, very few of my students knew how old I was and I probably could've avoided any of them finding out. Classmates often took the better part of a semester to find out, although with most graduate students being over 21 it'll probably get brought up sooner. It seems everyone just assumes you're the age you're supposed to be or older, which is really amazing since I apparently still look 16 dry.gif

I'll be at the ripe old age of 26. Went to do my MA straight out of undergrad. At 22/3, I was actually younger than some of the students that I TA-ed at my MA program. That was a little nerve-wrecking.

I tutored as an 19- and 20-year old those almost twice my age... but none of that prepared me for supervising a staff sergeant five years older than myself who ended up getting a DUI! Had to write a negative annual report on the guy; but he brought it on himself. Probably ended his career.

Dealing with that BS pretty much convinced me to get out of the military.

Oh and a cautionary note for all you whipper-snappers out there from this geezer. Ok not a geezer but beginning to push middle age. I applied to Grad School a year (23y/o) out of my undergrad where I was a mediocre (but improved) student. I applied because I couldnt find a job related to my undergrad or interests. I got into one school but got zilch in financial aid. Had trouble plugging into the career center because I had to maintain a full time job to pay for school and subsistance, which killed opportunities to get into my profession. I also lacked direction in what I wanted to do and let my attention wander. A year into school I got engaged, then married. Left school to move cross country and became a father not too long after that. It has taken 11 years since I left Grad school attempt #1 to try again. This time I've learned my lessons and have a plan of action.

haha I love it! I finished my undergrad this December (I'm 32) and I had a few younger friends that would lovely call me "Dad". I liked to play the parent-child role up a bit at times. :)

If I get into a masters program I'll be 34-35 before I could start my PhD...if my wife (currently fiancée) doesn't kill me first. rolleyes.gif

24/25 (my birthday is in early september so it really depends on the date the programme starts - to be technical about it!). i went through my undergrad and masters faster than it's usually done in the states (undergrad - 3 years, masters-1 year) and have worked for a couple of years, but definitely ready to be back in school this fall!

Dealing with that BS pretty much convinced me to get out of the military.

Sounds like you'll be moving from one load of BS to another. :P

When I (Deo gratias!) start in the fall, I'll be 22. The plan is to get on with things. We'll see.

I won't be getting into any PhD programs this year so assuming my Master's takes two years...I'll be 23 when I start my PhD. I graduated high school a semester early and am finishing undergrad with two bachelor's degrees in seven semesters, so I'm ahead by a year.

I'll be 22 when I start my PhD in the Fall, having done a 4 year undergrad degree in the UK. I'm a little worried about being so young, does anyone else feel like this?

I'll be 22 when I start my PhD in the Fall, having done a 4 year undergrad degree in the UK. I'm a little worried about being so young, does anyone else feel like this?

Mate I'm UK too, I'll also be 22 when I start my PhD. We just end up younger because our education system is set up differently. I went to uni in 06 at 18, 3 years later I had my BSc and now I'm working on an MSc.

I actually think being young has both advantages and disadvantages. But they vary depending upon where you are.

Good luck with it all,

Dave

If I get in, I will be 27 when I start, but if I let this application process keep stressing me out like this, by the time I turn 27 I will feel like I'm about 100. :blink:

Ugh, I couldn't agree more....

If I get in this year I'll start classes two weeks before my 27th birthday.

Edited by Think_Positive

What the hell? Why are all these 30+ folks being all ageist on themselves?

I will be 34 when I start and if I get the Fulbright I want to come back here to NZ (2 years coursework at UW and 3 years funding for the diss) I will be 40 when I finish...and I am totally stoked! I will finish my PhD with a ton of teaching experience, travel relevant to my field, a boatload of awesome contacts, and an additional PhD in LIFE.

To all the youngsters who are going straight through, good on you, as it obviously has taken a lot of hard work, talent, resourcefulness and tenacity to get into those programs and get that funding. But I would hope that anyone with some life experience in-between degrees is appreciating that as an asset.

After my BA I worked in Europe for seven years, during which time I traveled extensively through Europe, Asia and Oceania. That subsequently inspired me to return to school for three years for my MA (during which I continued to work in my field to pay the way) and the sum total of all those experiences got me a fully-funded PhD assistantship after I took MORE time off to pause and reflect and think about how I wanted to move forward. It was my life that got me these academic opportunities, not the other way around.

I sometimes allowed myself to feel inferior to these young career academics in my MA program whose reality was all about school, GA-ships, grants, etc. But some of them didn't even know how to get car insurance. My social and professional life was FAR better - while they were making photocopies for professors, I was getting valuable experience and way more money in my job outside the university, and actually had some fun!

I have NO regrets about going out into the working world and waiting until I was really ready to further my education. I'm far more mature now, have better study skills, and work experience is basically essential to being an expert in my field. I also spent my 20s partying, making great money, and traveling the world - not in a library. Now in my 30s a quiet night in studying is way more tolerable.

Whatever your path to a PhD, just be proud of it, for God's sake!

Kuratowski,

I will be 22, but like you, I worry that I will be mistaken for a freshman, not a TA. Dress the part - you don't have to dress up every day, but don't dress like an undergrad in sweats and a t-shirt. Your dress and attitude (how you present yourself) should help differentiate you. I am often carded for drinks, movies - you name it, so go figure. My 18 year old sister who WILL be a freshman next year looks older than I do.