If you get in next year, how old will you be when you start your PhD?

a fragrant plant

I'll start my MA this fall a few days before turning 30, and hopefully, the PhD shortly before turning 32. I graduated from college 8 years ago, but I've been working in four different countries during this time, gaining experience in my area of interest. I'm almost 30 but, while most of my friends have stable relationships and secured jobs, I have no stability in my life and I depend on financial aids to pay for Grad School. However, I've travelled to many countries, met people from even more countries and have had experiences that I wouldn't change for anything. When I graduated from college one of my professors suggested me to get my PhD. At that time I thought of it as something totally unreachable (I couldn't see myself doing research at all), but now, I know I'm ready for it. It's finally the time. These years wondering around have been what I needed to get ready and discover what I really wanted to do with my life. It took me a while, but I'm finally here! cool.gif

I'll start my MA this fall a few days before turning 30, and hopefully, the PhD shortly before turning 32. I graduated from college 8 years ago, but I've been working in four different countries during this time, gaining experience in my area of interest. I'm almost 30 but, while most of my friends have stable relationships and secured jobs, I have no stability in my life and I depend on financial aids to pay for Grad School. However, I've travelled to many countries, met people from even more countries and have had experiences that I wouldn't change for anything. When I graduated from college one of my professors suggested me to get my PhD. At that time I thought of it as something totally unreachable (I couldn't see myself doing research at all), but now, I know I'm ready for it. It's finally the time. These years wondering around have been what I needed to get ready and discover what I really wanted to do with my life. It took me a while, but I'm finally here! cool.gif

And I bet you have a unique view of life thanks to that time spent learning the world. I spent the last year abroad and travelling around Europe. I learned a great deal about myself and thanks to illness and somewhat stressful situations, it wasn't always great. However, I wouldn't give it up for the world! And BTW, you are going to an amazing school! Congrats. I will be graduating from IU in May and I will certainly miss it. Beautiful place to live, work, and study. Beautiful, wonderful library, and tons of cool people!

Kuratowski,

I will be 22, but like you, I worry that I will be mistaken for a freshman, not a TA. Dress the part - you don't have to dress up every day, but don't dress like an undergrad in sweats and a t-shirt. Your dress and attitude (how you present yourself) should help differentiate you. I am often carded for drinks, movies - you name it, so go figure. My 18 year old sister who WILL be a freshman next year looks older than I do.

Yep, sounds like great advice there. If you carry yourself as a grad student, they probably won't even know that you're 19. I personally will be 20 when I start grad school (I'm not coming in straight out of undergrad either). It eventually comes up amongst fellow grad students, but if they don't ask, they probably won't know.

Yep, sounds like great advice there. If you carry yourself as a grad student, they probably won't even know that you're 19. I personally will be 20 when I start grad school (I'm not coming in straight out of undergrad either). It eventually comes up amongst fellow grad students, but if they don't ask, they probably won't know.

Until they ask you out for a beer, that is. ;)

Assuming some fine institution of higher learning allows me to grace them with my presence, I'll be 36 when I start and 40 or 41 when I finish. To be honest, I've not worried about my age at all during this process. In a lot of ways it makes things easier. For example, with age there comes a huge dose of perspective, something sorely lacking in most undergraduates, in my experience. And for all of the "I must have my PhD by age X and tenure by age Y" folks out there, that's a rough way to live your life. Just remember, there is no right path, just the current path and many alternate paths.

I'll be 33 when I start my PhD and (I hope) 37 when I finish.

I had a baby while I was doing my MA and working full time... NOT recommended. I cannot imagine having a young child and doing my PhD. It was crazy hard to take a class a semester as it was.

So happy to see all of you 30-year-olds on the list!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be 23 when I start, fresh out of undergrad. My undergrad was a 5 year program that incorporated 3 "co-ops" (6 month paid internships in your field) so I am graduating with 1.5 years of industry experience. Working in industry is what made me realize that I had to go to grad school :)

I'll be 23 when I start, fresh out of undergrad. My undergrad was a 5 year program that incorporated 3 "co-ops" (6 month paid internships in your field) so I am graduating with 1.5 years of industry experience. Working in industry is what made me realize that I had to go to grad school :)

Similar XP. Did undergrad+MBA while working full time. So I'll be 24 w/ 3 years full time XP before I start my PhD.

I'll be 23 when I start my PhD. I finished undergrad at 21, defending MS thesis in two months, leaving Toronto for Vancouver in August. The whole thing makes me a little sad.

I'm aiming for fall 2012 after 2 years of taking some extra classes to fill in the gaps for a career change. If that works out, I'll be 36 when I start. I was 22 when I started law school. Things sure feel different this time around! I'll be moving across country most likely. I'll also have my son and two cats in tow. But he'll be starting elementary school then, so at least there will be that. I'm alternating between terrified and exhilerated about the possibilities. I'm super excited to be getting back into the academic world.

First steps first: 1/2 time school to pick up those extra classes (paid for by my employer, yay!). Then I need to get a killer GMAT score.

My parents are laughing and saying "I told you so" as I register for classes I refused to take back when they were paying tuition. But seriously, but when I was an undergrad, I was not motivated to do classes requiring actual work. Now is the time. I am highly motivated and willing to put in the work it takes. And my life is just recently in a place where I can focus on my own goals again. I've been told that graduating at 40-ish I will be pretty average for the field since so many people work for a while before going back to school.

I started undergrad at 18, then dropped out after two years, and started all over again. I was 24 when I got my bachelor. It took me three years to get my part-time master, while working.

I will start my PhD in this Fall at the border line of 27-28, which is not too late I think. Matured enough :D.

I will be 24 when I start my MS this Fall and I hope to start my PhD in 2012, 2014, or 2016. I think I might work for at least 2 years after my MS before I go for my PhD. I basically did that after I got my BS. At the moment, I have 2 schools on my list of schools to apply to for my PhD.

I should start studying for the GRE again since my scores will no longer be valid. Maybe I should also start drafting my SOP. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I will be 24 when I finish my MA and God willing (they take all my credits) I will finish at 27. I shouldnt have to take more than 6 courses so I should spend half my second year studying for comps and enter candidacy in my 3rd year and God willing (IRB and shear time reqs) I will finish my dissertation at the end of my 4th year.