If you get in next year, how old will you be when you start your PhD?

a fragrant plant

I'll be 26 and in my country (Austria) that's considered about normal. Actually, I'm younger than most other doctoral students at my department. But I'm quite curious how the cohort will be at my US-school.

I will be 28 when I start this fall. Took 2.5 years off between BA and MA to give the corporate world a whirl...that didn't work out so well. As long as I get in this year, there will be no breaks between MA and Ph.D. programs.

I asked my mother last night if they shot people when they turn 40. She assured me that they do not. They do it at 39 she says.

LOL. I'll be 32. I have no idea when I'll get out, and do not particularly care. For me the journey is more important than the destination!

I'll be 25 but turning 26 shortly after starting the fall semester.

It took me a little while to finish my BA (I transferred and lost a lot of credits) and then I did an MA. Plus I've always been a bit older than most students since I have a winter birthday. :)

Since at most of "my" schools, the average age of a beginning PhD student is 30-32, I wasn't prepared to work together with 21 year olds. Not that I have any problem with this at all! Don't get me wrong. (I'm 25 but I feel a lot younger and I have many friends which are several years younger than me) It's just VERY unusual for me. In my country most people start college at 19 or even at 20. And you HAVE to get a Master's degree before you can start a PhD. So most doctoral students are around my age (25). I think the very earliest one can start a doctoral program here is... hmm... 23 - but only if you're a woman (no military) and attended a 4-year highschool (many schools here don't take 4 but 5 years to complete).

But I think it's good when a cohort is diverse in age, background, interests and so on. I'm really looking forward to it (just waiting for the loads of acceptance letters to come in :lol:)

I am surprised to learn that many of my fellow applicants are applying straight out of undergrads. That means some people are starting their PhDs at the age of 21/22. That seems so young to me!

Well, if I get in next year I'll be starting my PhD at the age of 26. To me it's the perfect timing. How about you guys?

32. I have a baby (so a mat leave occurred) and I did an undergrad, a post graduate diploma, an MA and now the PhD. :) So yeah. 32!

I am surprised to learn that many of my fellow applicants are applying straight out of undergrads. That means some people are starting their PhDs at the age of 21/22. That seems so young to me!

Well, if I get in next year I'll be starting my PhD at the age of 26. To me it's the perfect timing. How about you guys?

http://www.petersons.com/

if you search your program, you may find that the average age is much older then you expected. For example, I'm applying for Public Health and 30 was the average age of applicants accepted. So good news. I don't think students should ever go directly into a PhD. Get some life experiences. This would explain why so many professors are socially awkward. Get a job selling hot dogs =) Talk to people.

Provided I get in, I'll be 27 when I start. After an extended undergrad session, I studied to be a Social Studies Teacher (MST), and after that degree, tired out Educational Technology (MSEd). I also took a year off to work as a teachers aide.

I know this is a very good time for me. I had a lot of growing up and experiencing to do with the real world, got married, etc.

I also need a way to get out of the North Country, and this is a great way to do that.

Oh, I feel sooo old now mellow.gif

If I'll get in this year I'll be 31+ when I start my PhD.

In my country there is a mandatory army service of 2 years, straight out of high school.

I started my BA at 20 and finished it at 24, took a year off to get some work experience and went to the MBA, which I finished at 27.5.

Then I took sometime off to invest in my consulting business and then moved to US at 30, almost a year ago.

Can the adcoms be easier on elderly applicants? tongue.gif

I will have just turned 25. Took 2 years off after UG to work, wasn't sure if I wanted grad school and many people told me I would not be motivated to go to school since I had a job....they were very wrong! I realized seeing all the research out there I wanted in on that!

• 3 weeks later...