Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

8 hours ago, raindaywoman said:

I thought I would share this with everyone, as I feel that it would help those who are feeling nervous or down about certain decisions. It was sent to me by Quinn Stein (the director of the Augustana program). I was 9th on their list, and all 8 that were chosen, accepted. I think it applies to most of us (except the last bit): 

"Many of the best genetic counselors I know, took 2 or 3 application cycles until they found the right time and right program that it worked in that given year. If this is a career you truly have a passion for, it’s likely that the time will come for you as well.  I’m so grateful you applied and that I had the opportunity to meet you, to learn about Oakland, your travels, and your ability to speak German!"

He and another program gave me tips on how to make my application more "Genetic counselor" friendly, and I am happy to share, with those of you that might be interested.

I'd also love those tips!

On 2/10/2017 at 3:26 PM, JPW1992 said:

To be honest, I think it depends on when your references submit. They don't have a method for you to track, so maybe one letter just came in if you only got that email today.

sortaa worried because I never got an email confirmation from CSU-Stan, but when I log on to the my.csustan portal it says my application is complete - I hope there was no trouble with the mail-in portion of the app :mellow:

14 hours ago, raindaywoman said:

I thought I would share this with everyone, as I feel that it would help those who are feeling nervous or down about certain decisions. It was sent to me by Quinn Stein (the director of the Augustana program). I was 9th on their list, and all 8 that were chosen, accepted. I think it applies to most of us (except the last bit): 

"Many of the best genetic counselors I know, took 2 or 3 application cycles until they found the right time and right program that it worked in that given year. If this is a career you truly have a passion for, it’s likely that the time will come for you as well.  I’m so grateful you applied and that I had the opportunity to meet you, to learn about Oakland, your travels, and your ability to speak German!"

He and another program gave me tips on how to make my application more "Genetic counselor" friendly, and I am happy to share, with those of you that might be interested.

That bit of advice definitely does help & make me feel better too! I'd love to hear the tips as well (:

1 hour ago, NHxx said:

sortaa worried because I never got an email confirmation from CSU-Stan, but when I log on to the my.csustan portal it says my application is complete - I hope there was no trouble with the mail-in portion of the app :mellow:

That bit of advice definitely does help & make me feel better too! I'd love to hear the tips as well (:

I think if it says complete you should be good. Mine showed incomplete until after I mailed back a residential tuition thing they sent me. Did you get the letter about your csu email address?

1 hour ago, Gadgette said:

I think if it says complete you should be good. Mine showed incomplete until after I mailed back a residential tuition thing they sent me. Did you get the letter about your csu email address?

Yup, got the packet in the mail & have my email/login all set up - on the "My student center" it has green dot for complete & for status it says pending! I just hope that's not only for the online portion of the app, because the bulk of the actual GC program app was mailed in... (probably over-worrying)

1 hour ago, NHxx said:

Yup, got the packet in the mail & have my email/login all set up - on the "My student center" it has green dot for complete & for status it says pending! I just hope that's not only for the online portion of the app, because the bulk of the actual GC program app was mailed in... (probably over-worrying)

I'd tell you to relax and not to worry, but I know how much easier said than done that is right now!  

15 hours ago, kds27 said:

Hi everyone! I hope you all are having a great day.  I just joined!! The waiting game is tough :( 

I would love to hear your tips about the application!  

Maybe the word tips was too strong, but these are the things they stressed to me that put people over the edge of being accepted or not:

• Experience in the genetic field/medical field, experience with patients
  • Shadowing and talking with genetic counselors (they asked a lot about this in the interviews I went to as well). I know its harder in some places than others (like in my home state of California) but the more of this the better.
  • Can't stress enough - Crisis Counseling or peer counseling  - I found it hard to find this, and a lot of place it takes a lot to get into them. I finally found Crisis Text Line. They are an awesome community and always looking for new counselors https://online.crisistextline.org
  • Advocacy work

If you haven't already I highly recommend taking the online embryology course at Univ. Cincinnati, some but not all schools require it.

I know Ive forgotten some things because I can't find the other email. I may add more to the list later!

1 hour ago, raindaywoman said:

Maybe the word tips was too strong, but these are the things they stressed to me that put people over the edge of being accepted or not:

• Experience in the genetic field/medical field, experience with patients
  • Shadowing and talking with genetic counselors (they asked a lot about this in the interviews I went to as well). I know its harder in some places than others (like in my home state of California) but the more of this the better.
  • Can't stress enough - Crisis Counseling or peer counseling  - I found it hard to find this, and a lot of place it takes a lot to get into them. I finally found Crisis Text Line. They are an awesome community and always looking for new counselors https://online.crisistextline.org
  • Advocacy work

If you haven't already I highly recommend taking the online embryology course at Univ. Cincinnati, some but not all schools require it.

I know Ive forgotten some things because I can't find the other email. I may add more to the list later!

12 hours ago, JPW1992 said:

Count me in as well!

Some of the more practical tips I got were to highlight the specific genetic counseling experiences/ more in my resume. I ended up using some of the formatting from the Northwestern application supplemental form (attached), and adding a chart that summarizes my healthcare exposure/advocacy exposure/research exposure/Disability exposure/medical exposure. I ended up sending these to all of the schools I applied to. It was really helpful to see on paper for me too.   

NU-GPGC-Sup-Form-2017 (3).doc

Edited by raindaywoman

Hi all,

Late to this site but have appreciated what I've learned from lurking so far. I've applied to Augustana (interview 3/31), VCU (interview 2/28), Minnesota (no word), Maryland (nada) and the University of TX (nothing yet). Definitely open to meeting up with anyone who shares interview dates! :)

On 2/11/2017 at 4:40 AM, raindaywoman said:

Thanks for the encouragement. I'd be interested in your thoughts/tips as I'm getting ready for a couple interviews and am not sure if my apps were particularly 'genetic counselor' friendly. I'd really hate to not do well on the interviews after getting the chance to be on campus with them.

Stupid question, but....

For those that have interviewed before or are doing so now... what kind of bag do you plan on carrying?? I kind of want to be able to have a notebook to jot notes, but I don't know if a briefcase would be too much. A notebook fits in my purse so I have that... am I overthinking this? 

I know this a dumb vague question but does anyone have any idea of exactly how large a waiting list for interviews would be for this type of program? I received a wait list notice last week and just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it.

Ladies, what kind of shoes do you think are ideal? I'm a bit worried about heels because I don't wear them often and I know most programs have tours + a lot of standing. Are flats formal enough and if so, what kind of flats?

3 hours ago, adragonisnoslave said:

Stupid question, but....

For those that have interviewed before or are doing so now... what kind of bag do you plan on carrying?? I kind of want to be able to have a notebook to jot notes, but I don't know if a briefcase would be too much. A notebook fits in my purse so I have that... am I overthinking this? 

I bought a nice black purse, big enough to fit a notepad, water bottle, and a snack. I think a briefcase might be too much since you aren't needing to bring stuff for a presentation or anything. But do what is going to be comfortable for you. If a briefcase boosts your confidence, rock a brief case!

Edited by Gadgette

1 hour ago, alalav said:

Ladies, what kind of shoes do you think are ideal? I'm a bit worried about heels because I don't wear them often and I know most programs have tours + a lot of standing. Are flats formal enough and if so, what kind of flats?

Flats that you can walk in! Unless you can walk all day in heels (I would end up miserable and/or at the hospital if I did) and are more comfortable with that. There are some pretty cute ones by Naturalizer that I've literally walked 7 miles a day in with no issues.

2 hours ago, Gadgette said:

Flats that you can walk in! Unless you can walk all day in heels (I would end up miserable and/or at the hospital if I did) and are more comfortable with that. There are some pretty cute ones by Naturalizer that I've literally walked 7 miles a day in with no issues.

I second the flats! Look for interview wear on any website for grad students. I saw girls with tons of makeup (and I know this is subjective) but I feel like being able to see the face of foundation makeup and 4 layers of mascara its too much. Too much on the hair front can be overwhelming too.

Professional, but so people notice you and not your makeup, hair, clothes or shoes.

5 hours ago, alalav said:

I, myself, will likely wear my go to business heels. Black, closed toe, with about an inch or so heel. I am planning on bringing flats to change into if needed. I'm also only 5 feet tall, so adding a little bit of height never hurts me. I want to avoid looking like a child :lol: 

On 2/11/2017 at 11:54 PM, raindaywoman said:

@raindaywoman hey! fellow CC here :) I know a handful of us are applying for GC programs this year. 

7 hours ago, raindaywoman said:

I second the flats! Look for interview wear on any website for grad students. I saw girls with tons of makeup (and I know this is subjective) but I feel like being able to see the face of foundation makeup and 4 layers of mascara its too much. Too much on the hair front can be overwhelming too.

Professional, but so people notice you and not your makeup, hair, clothes or shoes.

So this is my struggle because I loooove makeup. And I don't want to seem unauthentic but I'm definitely not gonna do like... Instagram brows or anything. But I also just don't like going out without at least foundation, concealer, brush, brow gel, eyeliner, and mascara.

13 hours ago, JN212 said:

I know this a dumb vague question but does anyone have any idea of exactly how large a waiting list for interviews would be for this type of program? I received a wait list notice last week and just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it.

I called cincinnati and they said I was number 2 on the waitlist for an interview

12 minutes ago, plunker said:

Today is the day for Utah interview invites!!

So excited it's finally here! And glad that I can't check my US mail repeatedly throughout the day.

Kind of on the make up front- I was reading something that cautioned against wearing perfume or really anything with a scent. While some interviewers may be ok with it, some may be annoyed or have a physical issue. You definitely don't want to trigger a migraine for your interviewer.

17 hours ago, adragonisnoslave said:

I think that a briefcase might be a bit over the top (unless that is your normal style). You could look for a nice padfolio for your notebook (check amazon or an office supplies store). I took a simple, black, faux-leather tote bag with some essential items, and a portfolio with a notepad/extra copies of my CV. At my last interview we were able to leave our coats and bags in a room while we went to our meetings/information sessions, so it was great to have the portfolio to carry around when I left my bag.  

15 hours ago, alalav said:

Wear whatever shoes you feel comfortable and confident in! Don't wear heels if you don't feel confident walking around in them, it will be very obvious from your body language if you are uncomfortable in your shoes or clothes.  There are plenty of stylish, formal looking flats and loafers on the market these days. You could also try wedges if you prefer something with a bit of a heel. I have two pairs of very comfortable wedges from LifeStride that I wear almost daily for work. Unfortunately, they didn't match my interview outfit, so I wore a pair of heels that I can walk around in comfortably. I also stashed a pair of matching flats in my bag for the campus tour!  

Look for something square or round toe, leather/faux leather in matte or low shine, solid color

e.g. flats/loafers:  https://tinyurl.com/jpd27vm  or  https://tinyurl.com/h9wfbw3 or  https://tinyurl.com/jatoxmf  

e.g. wedges:  https://tinyurl.com/h3v2s7v or  https://tinyurl.com/gnhz5v9  or  https://tinyurl.com/zcd4psj  

4 hours ago, adragonisnoslave said:

So this is my struggle because I loooove makeup. And I don't want to seem unauthentic but I'm definitely not gonna do like... Instagram brows or anything. But I also just don't like going out without at least foundation, concealer, brush, brow gel, eyeliner, and mascara.

I say interviews definitely call for the " No-makeup Makeup" look.  I also really enjoy wearing makeup, and putting on little "natural looking" foundation/blush/brow tint/mascara/lip color helps me to feel strong and confident when I am out and about. I'm planning to go with the basics since I'm trying to pack as lightly as possible for my interviews, but I would feel naked without any makeup at all, lol.  But for anyone who does not normally wear makeup, I would NOT recommend trying something new for your interviews.  It took me a long time to figure out my go-to products and techniques for that low-key no-makeup look.

Edited by metabolismo