Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

6 hours ago, Darwin said:

I keep checking this board and my email out of nervousness! I also need to download a new book for my kindle. Anyone reading anything good at the moment or have any recommendations? Bonus points if it is somewhat GC-related! I typically prefer non-fiction, but am open to anything. 

Hi! So I've been reading The Philadelphia Chromosome by Jessica Wapner - I'm only a few chapters in & no genetic counseling yet, it's more micriobio/molecular genetics but if you're into that it's good!! ^_^

6 hours ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

So have you heard anything back from SOPHAS yet about your transcripts? My evaluation was FINALLY received and processed yesterday! But my transcripts from my two undergrad universities STILL say verifying - I submitted on the 26th and my application was marked complete on the 27th, but apparently it takes 2-4 weeks from the date you submit to actually verify! So I'm kind of freaking out that they won't review my application. She said it needs to be cleared by SOPHAS before they can even review it. Ahhhhhhh!

As long as it is In complete status you are fine! If does NOT need to be verified according to USF. I called and they said my SOPHAS was complete, even thought it still says verifying and the school said that is all they need. However, I never got any sort of confirmation when it went complete, like no email or anything, did you receive anything?

6 hours ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

So have you heard anything back from SOPHAS yet about your transcripts? My evaluation was FINALLY received and processed yesterday! But my transcripts from my two undergrad universities STILL say verifying - I submitted on the 26th and my application was marked complete on the 27th, but apparently it takes 2-4 weeks from the date you submit to actually verify! So I'm kind of freaking out that they won't review my application. She said it needs to be cleared by SOPHAS before they can even review it. Ahhhhhhh!

10 minutes ago, nanella said:

Hi! So I've been reading The Philadelphia Chromosome by Jessica Wapner - I'm only a few chapters in & no genetic counseling yet, it's more micriobio/molecular genetics but if you're into that it's good!! ^_^

I read this book! It's amazing!!!!

I received an email about Bay Path hosting another webinar and an open house for their new GC program! They're both being held on the 15th. Here's a link with more details and where to register if anyone is interested: http://www.baypath.edu/academics/graduate-programs/genetic-counseling-ms/

Edited by slaybackc

18 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

I received an email about Bay Path hosting another webinar and an open house for their new GC program! They're both being held on the 15th. Here's a link with more details and where to register if anyone is interested: http://www.baypath.edu/academics/graduate-programs/genetic-counseling-ms/

Thank you slaybackc! It can't hurt to tune in and learn more! The format of Baypath is kind of fascinating to me. Does anyone know if their in person classes are every weekend? Or only select weekends out of the month? I'd almost be interested, and i like the fact they let you transfer in up to 6 units of grad coursework, but from looking at a map I don't think there's a major airport too close, so I'm not sure how that would work. 

Also like that the application fee is free. But I don't want to go bother my recommenders again and be all, "HEY CAN YOU DO ANOTHER ONE OF THESE FOR ME?"

Edited by Blizzard

3 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Thank you slaybackc! It can't hurt to tune in and learn more! The format of Baypath is kind of fascinating to me. Does anyone know if their in person classes are every weekend? Or only select weekends out of the month? I'd almost be interested, but from looking at a map I don't think there's a major airport too close, so I'm not sure how that would work. 

I just found this: http://s3.amazonaws.com/baypath/files/resources/fall-2017-schedule-genetic-counseling-1.pdf and at the top is just says some Saturdays, so it's possible that they aren't every weekend. 

I signed up for their first Webinar, but accidentally slept through it, so I might try to tune in for this one, but we'll see (as I am not planning on applying to Bay Path).

I just got an interview invite from VCU!! I was getting very nervous because most of you got your interview invitations last week. So relieved to finally get an email!!!

@Ultrapeaches I'm glad your interview at Emory went really well! I'll be going down next week, so I'm glad to know everyone was so welcoming.

How did you find the 'writing exercise?'  Was it one long essay, or a few short answer questions? I'm expecting a few questions asking us to think through ethical decisions/questions in a GC setting.

What did you end up wearing? Initially I didn't want to wear a suit (I find them boring and uncomfortable), but after reading everyone's advice on the forum I've decided to go with a dress & blazer for a more formal 'suit' look.

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

Also like that the application fee is free. But I don't want to go bother my recommenders again and be all, "HEY CAN YOU DO ANOTHER ONE OF THESE FOR ME?"

Wait it's free? That's crazy... But that's also how I feel. Like I applied to 9 schools (only 8 GC programs), but I can't imagine asking for another letter like "btw sorry guys I can't make up my mind!"

35 minutes ago, slaybackc said:

Wait it's free? That's crazy... But that's also how I feel. Like I applied to 9 schools (only 8 GC programs), but I can't imagine asking for another letter like "btw sorry guys I can't make up my mind!"

YES. Also, I don't know if their program requires a thesis or not. I looked and I can't really tell. It talks about a capstone, and shows enrollment for that for 1 unit each term, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing? I would love to not write a thesis:rolleyes:

And I understand completely about the LOR recommenders. I'm being a delinquent and keep forgetting to give them the thank you gift i made them, so until i do that I don't feel i have any business pestering them after all they've done for me!

19 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

YES. Also, I don't know if their program requires a thesis or not. I looked and I can't really tell. It talks about a capstone, and shows enrollment for that for 1 unit each term, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing? I would love to not write a thesis:rolleyes:

And I understand completely about the LOR recommenders. I'm being a delinquent and keep forgetting to give them the thank you gift i made them, so until i do that I don't feel i have any business pestering them after all they've done for me!

I would also love to not write a thesis too haha! But at the same time I think it would be beneficial for the future

And I feel that, 2 of my letter writers submitted their letters in November and 1 didn't finish until January, but I sent them all thank you cards in late December/early January oops. I'm still nervous I sent them to the wrong address (my school's building address are so confusing and some buildngs have PO boxes, so I wasn't 100% on where I should send them), I wanted to ask if they got my letter, but figured that was weird..
I was planning on making a small gift (like a nice coffee mug with either a $5 Starbucks giftcard or a pack of nice tea bags depending on the writer) for when I (hopefully) get accepted with another small letter explaining how they helped me get accepted :) 

Speaking of gifts, I'm having trouble picking one out for one of my recommenders. She's super sweet, loves to sew, and plays board games with her husband a lot. I know her professionally because of her toddler son, and I bought him one of my favorite childhood books (he loves having people read to him). I was thinking a new game would be fun for her. Any suggestions?

3 hours ago, metabolismo said:

I just got an interview invite from VCU!! I was getting very nervous because most of you got your interview invitations last week. So relieved to finally get an email!!!

@Ultrapeaches I'm glad your interview at Emory went really well! I'll be going down next week, so I'm glad to know everyone was so welcoming.

How did you find the 'writing exercise?'  Was it one long essay, or a few short answer questions? I'm expecting a few questions asking us to think through ethical decisions/questions in a GC setting.

What did you end up wearing? Initially I didn't want to wear a suit (I find them boring and uncomfortable), but after reading everyone's advice on the forum I've decided to go with a dress & blazer for a more formal 'suit' look.

The writing exercise was two short questions, and honestly it felt almost like a break. It was the part I was most nervous about and it ended up being a breeze.

I wore a suit because I feel hella dapper in a suit, but there was a woman there wearing a dress and a blazer and she looked great. I can't imagine they care what're wearing as long as you look professional and neat.

Edited by Ultrapeaches

32 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

The writing exercise was two short questions, and honestly it felt almost like a break. It was the park I was most nervous about and it ended up being a breeze.

This is really reassuring to hear!  That was definitely the part I was the most nervous about when I was reading over the itinerary since I consider writing to be one of my weaknesses.

1 hour ago, Gadgette said:

Speaking of gifts, I'm having trouble picking one out for one of my recommenders. She's super sweet, loves to sew, and plays board games with her husband a lot. I know her professionally because of her toddler son, and I bought him one of my favorite childhood books (he loves having people read to him). I was thinking a new game would be fun for her. Any suggestions?

Patchwork is a cute 2 player boardgame that she probably doesn't already have, even if she is a boardgame geek. It's sewing themed!

Going to meet with my mentor who's a GC and the new program director at Arizona :)
I'm gonna ask about interviews, what to wear, any good resources and things to read up on. Haven't seen her since September so I'm a little nervous. She's a wonderful lady, but she's everything I aspire to be so I always want to be on my best behavior when I see her!

That's awesome that you have that relationship with her! I spent far too long looking for clothes yesterday. Decided on my suit pretty quickly, but went to multiple stores looking for a shirt to go with it. Got home and decided I hate the one I ended up buying. Back to the drawing board!

I'm going to dinner the night before my UAMS interview. Any suggestions on what to wear? 

5 hours ago, Gadgette said:

That's awesome that you have that relationship with her! I spent far too long looking for clothes yesterday. Decided on my suit pretty quickly, but went to multiple stores looking for a shirt to go with it. Got home and decided I hate the one I ended up buying. Back to the drawing board!

I'm going to dinner the night before my UAMS interview. Any suggestions on what to wear? 

She's great! I also bought my interview outfit yesterday! I got all my things from Banana Republic if you didn't end up going there. I went with a grey blouse that has a blue flower pattern (kind of hard to explain) and three quarter length sleeves. I ended up with just a black suit and pants. 

Maybe business casual for the dinner? Like a nice pair of dark jeans and a nice shirt?

On 2/4/2017 at 10:59 AM, Gadgette said:

When I went to the UCI dinner last year I just dressed casual. One girl dressed up, but she was the only one and looked out of place. I'd say just wear jeans. Let me know how it goes! I have my interview there on the 12th. 

2 hours ago, Ellaie said:

When I went to the UCI dinner last year I just dressed casual. One girl dressed up, but she was the only one and looked out of place. I'd say just wear jeans. Let me know how it goes! I have my interview there on the 12th. 

Thanks! I don't want to be out of place and too dressed up! I don't go until March 31st.