Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

It seemed like everyone had heard back from Cincinnati except me, so I broke down and called them. The reason they haven't sent me anything is that I'm number 2 on the waitlist for interviews, so if 2 applicants decline or don't respond I'll be invited for an interview.  

Woo, I love me some uncertainty. Plus, if I do end up interviewing there, I get to know that I was their last choice going in to the interview!

Still, it makes me worry less about the strength of my application over all than being outright rejected would have.

15 minutes ago, Ultrapeaches said:

It seemed like everyone had heard back from Cincinnati except me, so I broke down and called them. The reason they haven't sent me anything is that I'm number 2 on the waitlist for interviews, so if 2 applicants decline or don't respond I'll be invited for an interview.  

Woo, I love me some uncertainty. Plus, if I do end up interviewing there, I get to know that I was their last choice going in to the interview!

Still, it makes me worry less about the strength of my application over all than being outright rejected would have.

Wow...that must be sort of an emotional roller coaster, or actually, an emotional whirlpool. But congrats on the waitlist I guess. Hopefully people decline and you get your spot there! A chance is a chance!

Sorry to jump in! Congrats to everyone who has been getting interviews! :) Any gc applicants on here who have applied to the Canadian programs and who have heard back about interviews? 

13 minutes ago, Gc1993 said:

Sorry to jump in! Congrats to everyone who has been getting interviews! :) Any gc applicants on here who have applied to the Canadian programs and who have heard back about interviews? 

Hi there! I have only heard back from UBC so far. Still waiting to hear from McGill, U of T, and Manitoba. Where have you applied?

Just curious but does anyone know how many interviews programs typically do? I know it's obviously different depending on cohort size, but has anyone heard from some programs how many people they select for interviews? 

8 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Just curious but does anyone know how many interviews programs typically do? I know it's obviously different depending on cohort size, but has anyone heard from some programs how many people they select for interviews? 

If they take around 5-7 students, they normally offer 30-35 interviews. (This is based on Utah's Career Camp)

18 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I know Northwestern interviews around 60, and accepts about 15 of those. Last year there was 6 interview dates. Indiana State has three interview dates this year, and I would guess there are around 10 people per interview date, so 30 total, and I believe they take around 5-7 students.

11 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

If they take around 5-7 students, they normally offer 30-35 interviews. (This is based on Utah's Career Camp)

Yes. The one notable exception is SLC, who accepts between 25-30 students... They have the largest GC program by far. 

4 minutes ago, minja134 said:

I know Northwestern interviews around 60, and accepts about 15 of those. Last year there was 6 interview dates. Indiana State has three interview dates this year, and I would guess there are around 10 people per interview date, so 30 total, and I believe they take around 5-7 students.

Last year Augustana interviewed 24 people for 8 spots.

2 minutes ago, minja134 said:

Did you interview with Augustana last year? If so what their interviews were like?

Yes. They were fairly standard questions re. interest and experience with Genetic Counseling and background info, they gave a lot of scenario type questions (what would you do if a patient came in with...) I think I interviewed with 8 or 9 different people. I think 2 or 3 interviews were over skype as the people were in San Diego or elsewhere. 

Unfortunately I was first on the waitlist last year but everyone said yes!

12 minutes ago, raindaywoman said:

Yes. They were fairly standard questions re. interest and experience with Genetic Counseling and background info, they gave a lot of scenario type questions (what would you do if a patient came in with...) I think I interviewed with 8 or 9 different people. I think 2 or 3 interviews were over skype as the people were in San Diego or elsewhere. 

Sounds pretty similar to a lot of the other programs.

I see you applied to Northwestern as well, I interviewed with them last year and their interviews were with 7 people with a wine and cheese reception after everything. It was obvious that each person had a theme and 1-2 specific questions they had to ask along with just the general discussions. It wasn't too bad but it was an exhausting long day (8:30am-6:30pm). I too was waitlisted there and of course everyone said yes. I got their interview request on 2/17 last year, so I keep trying to tell myself to relax as it's more than a week away.

Edited by minja134

14 minutes ago, raindaywoman said:

How did you prepare for the scenario questions? Did you just kind of make it up on the spot about what seems the most ethical and right way to go?

Also, does anyone here recommend a good book to read relevant to medical diagnosis or genetic counseling? I need to take my mind off the anxiety.

Hi everyone! Thought I'd pop in and say hello since I've been on this forum way too often in this past week.. :) 

@AspiringGC do you know if 10 people per interview day is typical? I got an interview at UC Denver and there are 7 interview dates but they say they only take about 6 students.. 

6 minutes ago, minja134 said:

Sounds pretty similar to a lot of the other programs.

I see you applied to Northwestern as well, I interviewed with them last year and their interviews were with 7 people with a wine and cheese reception after everything. It was obvious that each person had a theme and 1-2 specific questions they had to ask along with just the general discussions. It wasn't too bad but it was an exhausting long day (8:30am-6:30pm). I too was waitlisted there and of course everyone said yes. I got their interview request on 2/17 last year, so I keep trying to tell myself to relax as it's more than a week away.

The waiting is the worst part! I start nit-picking at every part of my application that might cause them to reject me... Its good to know that they sent them out then.

That sounds a little more formal than Augustana, but it was their first year, so I would guess they may be doing a bit more this year. 

4 minutes ago, bubusaur said:

How did you prepare for the scenario questions? Did you just kind of make it up on the spot about what seems the most ethical and right way to go?

Also, does anyone here recommend a good book to read relevant to medical diagnosis or genetic counseling? I need to take my mind off the anxiety.

I think I just made it up on the spot. I do have a MS in Medical Genetics though, so I have some experience with the scenarios already. They were mostly looking at your thought process and how you think through things, so as long as you explain how you got to your answer and it makes sense, I think you are okay. 

1 hour ago, robyn94 said:

Hi there! I have only heard back from UBC so far. Still waiting to hear from McGill, U of T, and Manitoba. Where have you applied?

Congrats on the interviews! I applied to McGill and U of T! The waiting game is tough. Let me know when you hear back :) 

49 minutes ago, WBGC said:

Hi everyone! Thought I'd pop in and say hello since I've been on this forum way too often in this past week.. :) 

@AspiringGC do you know if 10 people per interview day is typical? I got an interview at UC Denver and there are 7 interview dates but they say they only take about 6 students.. 

I have no idea. This is my first cycle applying. 
Do you know if UCDenver has already sent out all their interviews?? I applied there and haven't heard anything back 

14 minutes ago, Gc1993 said:

Congrats on the interviews! I applied to McGill and U of T! The waiting game is tough. Let me know when you hear back :) 

Thank you! And good luck with your applications. I will let you know if I hear anything.

4 hours ago, WBGC said:

From my experience and from what others here have said I would say its common to have anywhere between 4-8 people in a day. I think a lot of them require students interview with all of the faculty (yes thats means sometimes 8 or 9 consecutive interviews in a day for us!) and so it depends on whether they can get everyone's schedule in line. (And the professors don't want to interview too many candidates in a day) The ones I went to were 5 and 7 people being interviewed for the day.

Edited by raindaywoman

I've been scanning for awhile, so I've decided to go ahead and share! I've applied to 7 schools - Cincinnati, UAB, UAMS, Northwestern, Pittsburg, South Carolina, and IU. So far, I've heard back from three, Cincinnati, UAB, and UAMS with interview offers at all three. As far as the rest of them go, I'll be anxiously checking my email!