Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

2 minutes ago, kbash said:

I got my interview invite to CSU Stanislaus today! Anyone else?

That's awesome! Congrats!! Did they send the email through the CSU student email account? Fingers crossed that I will hear from them too! Ah so nervous :( 

Just now, kds27 said:

That's awesome! Congrats!! Did they send the email through the CSU student email account? Fingers crossed that I will hear from them too! Ah so nervous :( 

I got an email just to my usual gmail account that I gave as my contact info. Based on my stalking through last years results, it looked like they sent out invites on two days, so there's still a chance you'll hear back! Good luck!

@Gadgette I get what you mean, I'm starting to look at other jobs/options in case I don't get in. Really didn't think I would have to consider applying a third time but this forum has helped me understand that it's not super uncommon and it just depends on the year and applicant pool. Just difficult explaining it to family/friends/employers and the people who wrote me LORs. Thanks for the feedback though, better to not get my hopes up too much.

@Ellaie Congrats on the USF interview! Thanks for the feedback. I would prefer this whole process of being notified for interviews be condensed to a couple of weeks. It feels like months ago I turned in applications because this waiting process has been such a roller coaster.

1 hour ago, kbash said:

I got my interview invite to CSU Stanislaus today! Anyone else?

Got mine today as well! Congrats! 

I also got my interview invite at Pitt - I had been considering that as a rejection up until now, so I was kind of surprised! It is the same day as my interview at Case Western though, and they both only gave me one interview date option..so I'm not sure what to do. 

@DNA15 I emailed USC last week and was told they send out all of their interview offers but things could change if people reject . So I assume I am just awaiting a rejection letter from them unfortunately

I remembered that some of you previously wrote about the Clinical Embryology online course from the University of Cincinnati, and I've been having a hard time finding information about it.  I was thinking about taking it, maybe over the summer if it is possible.  Is there a set schedule, or is it more of an asynchronous, go-at-your-own-pace online course?  How long does it take to complete the course?  Are there weekly readings, assignments, or quizzes?  I just thought I'd ask while folks are checking the board more frequently! 

50 minutes ago, Ferris604 said:

I remembered that some of you previously wrote about the Clinical Embryology online course from the University of Cincinnati, and I've been having a hard time finding information about it.  I was thinking about taking it, maybe over the summer if it is possible.  Is there a set schedule, or is it more of an asynchronous, go-at-your-own-pace online course?  How long does it take to complete the course?  Are there weekly readings, assignments, or quizzes?  I just thought I'd ask while folks are checking the board more frequently! 

You have a certain amount of time to finish it from the time you enroll. There are lectures, which are much more helpful than the book, and three tests. The downside is you can't take it for credit if you aren't a grad student. But it's a great class!

3 hours ago, Gadgette said:

You have a certain amount of time to finish it from the time you enroll. There are lectures, which are much more helpful than the book, and three tests. The downside is you can't take it for credit if you aren't a grad student. But it's a great class!

Thank you for the info!  I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the class, but right now it is more a question of when.  This helps a lot!

Depending on how my day goes on April 24th, I'm thinking about taking the teratology class. There is this really interesting app that uses technology similar to Facebook's facial recognition called face2gene. It uses pictures of an individual to suggest genetic abnormalities and conditions. I got to briefly see it in the fall and it looked really interesting.

It's been kind of quiet this weekend. How's everyone holding up with their interviews? I have my first one this Wednesday at Mt. Sinai.

We all got so far already and it's definitely a stressful time to be in. Don't forget to relax and de-stress once in a while! :) Good luck!

Just finished interviews at VCU and Indiana State.  Definitely stressful and I feel I didn't put my best foot forward on the latter program.  Hopefully my interview this week will go better! (Wisconsin on Friday).

4 hours ago, bubusaur said:

It's been kind of quiet this weekend. How's everyone holding up with their interviews? I have my first one this Wednesday at Mt. Sinai.

We all got so far already and it's definitely a stressful time to be in. Don't forget to relax and de-stress once in a while! :) Good luck!

Please let me know what you think of Mt. Sinai and how that interview goes!  I REALLY want to get into a school in NY if possible.

Took it easy this weekend, just focusing on self-care and trying to finish my latest knitting project. My husband and I celebrated our 6 year anniversary with a nice dinner. Then today I did a pretty thorough apartment cleaning. Kept busy enough to not dwell on application/interview stuff!

2 hours ago, Gorays39 said:

Just finished interviews at VCU and Indiana State.  Definitely stressful and I feel I didn't put my best foot forward on the latter program.  Hopefully my interview this week will go better! (Wisconsin on Friday).

Please let me know what you think of Mt. Sinai and how that interview goes!  I REALLY want to get into a school in NY if possible.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the coming ones will be better! I'll keep you posted about Mt. Sinai!

2 hours ago, Gadgette said:

Took it easy this weekend, just focusing on self-care and trying to finish my latest knitting project. My husband and I celebrated our 6 year anniversary with a nice dinner. Then today I did a pretty thorough apartment cleaning. Kept busy enough to not dwell on application/interview stuff!

Same. I felt like the more I thought about the upcoming interviews, the more anxious I am. And in all honesty, I'm not even sure how exactly to prep for the interviews. I just brainstormed ideas and reviewed my volunteer experiences in my head. I'm crocheting for self-care :) 

2 hours ago, Gorays39 said:

I was also at ISU this weekend, we would have seen each other! It was definitely a stressful day.

For everyone else, ISU had a lot of questions towards gauging how much you know or can think through current topics in the field. So anyone interviewing there be prepared for that. They still had typical interview questions (strengths, weaknesses, etc.), but the focus on thinking as a bit different than what I've heard from other programs. Also the writing portion was nothing to worry about and you type it up using word, so don't worry about your handwriting or spelling.

7 hours ago, minja134 said:

I was also at ISU this weekend, we would have seen each other! It was definitely a stressful day.

For everyone else, ISU had a lot of questions towards gauging how much you know or can think through current topics in the field. So anyone interviewing there be prepared for that. They still had typical interview questions (strengths, weaknesses, etc.), but the focus on thinking as a bit different than what I've heard from other programs. Also the writing portion was nothing to worry about and you type it up using word, so don't worry about your handwriting or spelling.

Oh, cool!  It's funny how many people I've already met from this thread.  

Yeah, I was not expecting some of the content questions.  I don't think I got anything 'wrong' per se, but they caught me really off guard and I babbled a bit.  Also one of the interviewers had a really laid-back attitude that I wasn't able to interpret.  I couldn't tell if he liked me or hated me.

1 hour ago, Gorays39 said:

Oh, cool!  It's funny how many people I've already met from this thread.  

Yeah, I was not expecting some of the content questions.  I don't think I got anything 'wrong' per se, but they caught me really off guard and I babbled a bit.  Also one of the interviewers had a really laid-back attitude that I wasn't able to interpret.  I couldn't tell if he liked me or hated me.

I'm sure you were fine. They weren't expecting you to just know everything about a field you aren't even in, why would you need to go to school then. I think they just wanted to see how you could think on your feet, and they chose to do it with topics instead of the typical interview questions that anyone could easily Google search and thus prepare for. So I'm sure they are expecting everyone to fumble, but it's how you pushed through or atleast tried to answer that probably matters more.

8 minutes ago, GC19 said:

Does anyone interviewing at UNCG on March 20 want to share a hotel room for the night before?

Unfortunately I did not get an interview there but I did come to visit in the summer. The Sheradon was a great hotel! About 15 minutes way at most. At first I went to a motel across the road from Sheradon, call the "Baymont inn" as the reviews weren't bad. And once we arrived at the motel, there was a lady nodding out outside of the hotel (on drugs of course) and followed us into the hotel registration area. The staff knew her and allow her to hangout in there, and not once tried to get her away from us as she tried to hug both my boyfriend and I and kept babbling to us. It was very uncomfortable and we left despite having reservations, and spent an extra 150 to get away from that place. I also had to fight to get refunded from them, despite the situation we were in . So with that being said be careful of the motels in the area and avoid Baymont inn at all cost!!

I have my first interview next week and reading about everyone else's has me so nervous! I've been trying to make sure I'm informed on current trends going on in genetic counseling and I thought I'd reach out to you guys for any suggestions of topics I should be reading about. I've been browsing NSGC conference talk titles, but any other input would be appreciated! 

Also, if anybody needs a ride from the Cincinnati airport to wherever they're staying, I'm from Cincy and would be glad to try and help out!

I'm going to be at my first few interviews for a bit longer than usual since I'm linking my trips. So if anyone wants to be my adventure/uber/dinner/Netflix/airport buddy, it'd be nice to explore (and/or be lazy since I'm sure we'll be exhausted) in some of the cities! I'll be in Greensboro March 22-25, Indianapolis March 25-29, and Sioux falls March 29-31.

47 minutes ago, GCInTraining said:

I'm going to be at my first few interviews for a bit longer than usual since I'm linking my trips. So if anyone wants to be my adventure/uber/dinner/Netflix/airport buddy, it'd be nice to explore (and/or be lazy since I'm sure we'll be exhausted) in some of the cities! I'll be in Greensboro March 22-25, Indianapolis March 25-29, and Sioux falls March 29-31.

Whoa! That sounds like a long stressful trip but also fun. I wish I could join but our schools don't match!

3 minutes ago, bubusaur said:

Whoa! That sounds like a long stressful trip but also fun. I wish I could join but our schools don't match!

That's only the first leg of my trip haha. I'm essentially traveling from March 22-April 13 for interviews so I'm anticipating exhaustion and Netflix marathons. Darn! You'll have to tell me if you enjoy Sarah Lawrence! I have to do a Skype interview for that one so it'd be great to get some impressions from people actually visiting.

Hi guys!  So I have my interview at Arkansas on Monday.  I'm looking into hotels there now.  I know the schools provide a list of hotels, but I've found that a lot of times you can find cheaper or nicer places doing your own research.  I'm driving down, which means I don't mind being a little farther away from campus.  Anyone have any hotel recommendations for Little Rock?  I've never even been to Arkansas before.

@GCInTraining I have my interview at SLC tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Edited by Ellaie

5 minutes ago, Ellaie said:

Hi guys!  So I have my interview at Arkansas on Monday.  I'm looking into hotels there now.  I know the schools provide a list of hotels, but I've found that a lot of times you can find cheaper or nicer places doing your own research.  I'm driving down, which means I don't mind being a little farther away from campus.  Anyone have any hotel recommendations for Little Rock?  I've never even been to Arkansas before.

@GCInTraining I have my interview at SLC tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it goes!

That'd be great! Good luck!!