History 2010

Sparky

You too Boogs! On another note, has anyone else not heard a peep from Princeton today? I'm wondering if they have the wrong email address for me or something or if there will be a second round of rejections going out next week. Any thoughts?

You too Boogs! On another note, has anyone else not heard a peep from Princeton today? I'm wondering if they have the wrong email address for me or something or if there will be a second round of rejections going out next week. Any thoughts?

Why's Brown taking so few? I applied there for modern Euro, so I might still be in the running but that doesn't sound promising. Princeton shook me off today, but I expected that. Still got seven out there, although without an invitation to prospie weekend at NYU that's looking much less likely. Oh well, I just need one acceptance. Fingers crossed?

Got unofficial and unfortunately very reliable news from Brown and Duke last week. Sorry for the late post. It took me a week to emotionally process the conversation. I needed to let the bitterness fade. I'm looking at rejections from both schools. Apparently, Brown is only making five total offers this year. All five are split between the Americanists and Europeanists. Duke on the other hand made offers to a much larger class of Latin Americanists than usual. I just didn't make the cut/fit. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news about Brown. Since these were the two schools I thought I had the best shot at, I'm looking at getting swept this season. F$%##%$$%! I know the two rejections are slowly creeping their way towards me but I'm still vainly hoping for an eleventh hour reprieve, which ain't coming. UGHHHH! This sucks! Any word on details from the Northwestern admits? Field? How big is the projected class? Anything? Good luck and godspeed to everyone.

So I'm assuming your news applies to everyone who hasn't heard ? It pisses me off that they don't send everyone a rejection all at one time...and what are our application fees for if we can't even get the courtesy of a timely response! Guess I'm 0 for 2....Going 2 McDonald's for fries & apple pie

Got unofficial and unfortunately very reliable news from Brown and Duke last week. Sorry for the late post. It took me a week to emotionally process the conversation. I needed to let the bitterness fade. I'm looking at rejections from both schools. Apparently, Brown is only making five total offers this year. All five are split between the Americanists and Europeanists. Duke on the other hand made offers to a much larger class of Latin Americanists than usual. I just didn't make the cut/fit. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news about Brown. Since these were the two schools I thought I had the best shot at, I'm looking at getting swept this season. F$%##%$$%! I know the two rejections are slowly creeping their way towards me but I'm still vainly hoping for an eleventh hour reprieve, which ain't coming. UGHHHH! This sucks! Any word on details from the Northwestern admits? Field? How big is the projected class? Anything? Good luck and godspeed to everyone.

Sorry to hear it. Best of luck with the rest of your apps.

Also, I got the rejection from Princeton a couple of hours ago. Mass email, semi-personalized.

Why's Brown taking so few? I applied there for modern Euro, so I might still be in the running but that doesn't sound promising. Princeton shook me off today, but I expected that. Still got seven out there, although without an invitation to prospie weekend at NYU that's looking much less likely. Oh well, I just need one acceptance. Fingers crossed?

Word is the cohort at Brown is small due to the economic squeeze. Don't sweat the non-invite to NYU's prospective weekend. I personally know people who got invited, flown out on NYU's dime, and then brutally rejected. At the same time one of my closest friends didn't get an invite and ended up getting an offer with a LOT of extra funding on top of the standard financial package. The weekend is a crap shoot, albeit a sadistic one.

I was the Northwestern admit in Medieval History. I'm hoping to do something with gender and sexuality, so it's a really good fit. It was also such a relief to get in somewhere after being rejected from Berkeley yesterday. Still waiting on six more, including Brown. That's crazy they're only admitting 5 students! It wasn't one of my top choices anyways, and knowing that will make the inevitable rejection a little easier to take. Also waiting on NYU. Didn't get an invite to the prospective students weekend, which sort of surprised me since I had been in contact with a prof there who said she'd push for me to be accepted, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I was thinking that maybe they just invite people they're unsure of, and leave out the definite admits. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Edited by heu mihi

Anyone see the chicago admit on the results board? Anyone else heard yet, or is that an anomaly and I should not panic?

I'm about ready to panic...Modern Europe is my field too.

But they JUST sent that mass email telling us that decisions would be made in a few weeks?

Unless that was a bad sign...

I hate it when there is ONE acceptance. No idea if it's real, no idea if it's time to freak out.

I'm about ready to panic...Modern Europe is my field too.

But they JUST sent that mass email telling us that decisions would be made in a few weeks?

Unless that was a bad sign...

I hate it when there is ONE acceptance. No idea if it's real, no idea if it's time to freak out.

But I think that the email was referring to just the 'official' one from the actual admissions office, i.e. we receive our 'unofficial' acceptances from the dep't/advisor(s) before that. I saw that as for last year, Chicago admits were hearing just past the middle of the month from their advisor etc.

But I think that the email was referring to just the 'official' one from the actual admissions office, i.e. we receive our 'unofficial' acceptances from the dep't/advisor(s) before that. I saw that as for last year, Chicago admits were hearing just past the middle of the month from their advisor etc.

Also, Chicago's term starts a lot earlier than most schools (right at the beginning of Jan.), so it's not out of the question that we'd hear from our potential advisors sometime soon.

My friend who applied for Linguistics turned me on to this site today. I really wish he hadn't because now I'm getting worried, whereas before I was living with the ignorance is bliss motto.

The thing that is making me most nervous is that as I read these threads, I realize how little I actually know or understand about the admissions process. I always just assumed that I fill out the application, and a while later they'll send me a letter saying either yes or no. When I saw three people in the results search reporting that they had been accepted to JHU a week ago via e-mail, I got a little concerned. JHU isn't exactly my top choice (depending on my mood, any of my 6 schools could be a top choice), but I consider it a bellwether for the rest of my applications.

If I had been accepted at JHU, would I have known by now? Rather, is it wrong to assume that because others have heard positively and I have not that I will be rejected?

My field is African Diaspora/Caribbean. If I am rejected, it would be a shame because I sincerely felt the school was a good fit and that I was a good fit for their program. I've had extended contact with a professor there for two years now and though I never assumed I would get in, I always felt I had a better chance there than perhaps any of my other schools (except my undergrad institution, BU).

Oh well. Whatever happens, I have one attractive offer anyway, and that should be more than enough to make a person happy.

Thanks to anyone who responds, and good luck to all.

Joe

Got an email just a few minutes ago from the co-chair of the history department and Brandeis. They were impressed with my application, and I definitely know it is not a form letter because they talked about specifics in my statement of intent. So, imagine how I'm feeling at this point. Good words: elated, overjoyed, ecstatic.

Now throw those words out. Because the department is so small, they've had to waitlist me. They said they "hope to be able to offer you admission (and a fellowship) soon...but aren't in a position to do so just yet." Yes, I gave a cry of anguish. But I'll be in touch with them soon.

I guess I should be happy - really happy. But I'm the instant gratification type; too much time on the interwebs I guess.

So that's been my day: Princeton reject, Brandeis waitlist, and thesis writing. Thank God the Olympics are on soon.

Does anyone have any information about UNC? There were a few acceptances a while ago, and now nothing? Should those that have not been accepted (like myself) assume that they are going to be rejected? I don't know how or why anyone might know this stuff, but I thought that I'd throw it out there.

Nevermind! Rockeater, what did Brandeis say, if you care to share? Did they send out acceptances (I'm assuming).

I'll PM you the details. I'd rather not share all of it since it was a real, honest-to-God personal email. I don't know if they sent out acceptances yet. I've seen none reported.

My friend who applied for Linguistics turned me on to this site today. I really wish he hadn't because now I'm getting worried, whereas before I was living with the ignorance is bliss motto.

My field is African Diaspora/Caribbean. If I am rejected, it would be a shame because I sincerely felt the school was a good fit and that I was a good fit for their program. I've had extended contact with a professor there for two years now and though I never assumed I would get in, I always felt I had a better chance there than perhaps any of my other schools (except my undergrad institution, BU).

I'm also African Diaspora/Caribbean and so when I saw your post I thought I had identified my competition in the adcoms, but then I noticed that you and I didn't apply to any of the same places. I guess I always thought that there were sufficiently few of us around that we would all be applying to the same programs and for the same positions. Glad to realize otherwise.

I'm also African Diaspora/Caribbean and so when I saw your post I thought I had identified my competition in the adcoms, but then I noticed that you and I didn't apply to any of the same places. I guess I always thought that there were sufficiently few of us around that we would all be applying to the same programs and for the same positions. Glad to realize otherwise.

Yeah, that was my assumption as well. For me, it just kind of worked out the way it did. My adviser here is an Africanist who is probably best known for his work on diaspora (Africa and Africans in the Making of the Atlantic World). He basically gave me a big list of schools to think of applying to and I picked about half of them. I don't know where you applied, but the list he gave me includes the ones I applied to and:

Berkeley, UCLA, Arizona, Texas-Austin, Vanderbilt, and Tulane. (Most of these he stressed for their Latin American focus). I also thought about NYU and Duke (Duke mostly for Laurent DuBois, but I heard that JHU is trying to poach him).

Well, I'm glad that there are others of us around and I'm also glad that I'm not competing against you. :)

Best of luck in acceptance and in your career!

I'll PM you the details. I'd rather not share all of it since it was a real, honest-to-God personal email. I don't know if they sent out acceptances yet. I've seen none reported.

Just got my reject email from them. Less than 6 fellowships offered. So sad.

I am genuinely sorry to hear it, Goober. How many are still out there for you?

Thanks rockeater. I still have 10 out there, but am not feeling good about them after the way things have been going...At least I have Wisconsin, but who knows about the funding there? I heard that I may be able to get some money after the first semester (TAing probably), but I don't know if I can risk it financially.

Thanks rockeater. I still have 10 out there, but am not feeling good about them after the way things have been going...At least I have Wisconsin, but who knows about the funding there? I heard that I may be able to get some money after the first semester (TAing probably), but I don't know if I can risk it financially.

Has anyone else been contacted by Brandeis? I've heard nothing.

Also, Goober. I think I am in the exact same situation with Wisconsin--the acceptance was great...but the funding selection in basically another admittance since I can't attend without aid.

Edited by bmr716

Also, Goober. I think I am in the exact same situation with Wisconsin--the acceptance was great...but the funding selection in basically another admittance since I can't attend without aid.

For the Sconis out there, what are your fields and what outside funding are you applying to?

If I had been accepted at JHU, would I have known by now? Rather, is it wrong to assume that because others have heard positively and I have not that I will be rejected?

If it makes you and others who are still waiting to hear from JHU feel any better, despite the unofficial emails that I've received, I still have yet to get any sort of official notice/offer. It's certainly possible that only a few subfields have made offers.