History 2010

Sparky

yep, i'm there/here now. my acceptance email from them included my funding package, but i know that they worked pretty hard throughout the spring to cobble together packages for other students so that none of the incoming class had to teach in their first year. no guarantee that it will be the same this year, but i can promise you that they keep working to put together your financing well into the summer. a colleague of mine was offered a TAship in his first year and mid-summer another fellowship became available so they offered it to him.

Hey,

Just to let you guys know, I got into Pitt with a fellowship, but I have another offer I'm really considering, so mine might open up, but I don't know what I'm doing and won't for like two weeks. But it is really good to know that the people at Pitt (who have been incredibly nice by the way) worked hard to secure the funds, makes it even harder to make a decision.

Edited by deuterides

Re: Ohio State

I was told to check back this week to see about a TA postion, so I called again today. I found out that I am on the TA list, but that there are 30 names on the list and they are only taking 20. Unfortunetly, I am at the very bottom...

I wish you luck!!! If he hears something, I'll let you know!

Hope you don't mind me asking, when and how did you find out? I've been talking to someone who is waiting on OSU and I know a lot of us have already gotten word, both positive and negative. He called like a lot of us also did, but they're keeping him dangling and saying sometime this week. I'm his official Gradcafe correspondent because he thinks being here will make him even more paranoid :)

On another note, is anyone still waiting on Georgetown? They are the last school I'm waiting on and it's killing me. :blink:

Just got the email for it. Hardcopy to follow. OSU Graduate Assistant with a nice monthly take home.

Any UNH applicants out there? My online status changed to "Waiting for Final Grad Review" today. I'm hoping this means I've been approved by the department and I just need an acceptance from the graduate school? Anyone have a similar change to their status?

Any UNH applicants out there? My online status changed to "Waiting for Final Grad Review" today. I'm hoping this means I've been approved by the department and I just need an acceptance from the graduate school? Anyone have a similar change to their status?

I haven't had any change. :(

I read that Walgreens (the drugstore chain) is planning to release its own wine label to be sold in Walgreens stores at two dollars a bottle, followed by a "premium" brand at five dollars a bottle. I'm not making this up.

I read that Walgreens (the drugstore chain) is planning to release its own wine label to be sold in Walgreens stores at two dollars a bottle, followed by a "premium" brand at five dollars a bottle. I'm not making this up.

This makes me cry a little bit inside

Hmm, Walgreens labels its generic drugs things like Wal-itin, Wal-phed, and Wal-dryl. I guess we should start looking forward to "walcohol."

Hmm, Walgreens labels its generic drugs things like Wal-itin, Wal-phed, and Wal-dryl. I guess we should start looking forward to "walcohol."

What I read said that they are going to call it "Northern Vineyard" or something hokey like that.

Congrats to the SUNY Binghamton admit. Have you heard anything about funding yet? I talked to the grad. secretary a few days ago, and she told me that the adcom was meeting today (Wednesday) to deal with funding, and that they plan on sending out letters (I'm not sure if its by postal or email) very soon.

I'm pretty jealous. I'd love to go to Binghamton. The department has so many faculty members I'd like to work with. Hopefully I hear some good news soon.

Oh, good! I was going to try to call again but don't want to be a pest. I'd appreciate hearing what she says this time. :)

I hate to say this, but I called this morning and she told me the same thing. I cracked up a little bit because she started stuttering after the "If you haven't heard from us yet..." part. I got it lady, I got it! Sorry about the bad news! :(

I'm just wondering, how many of us have settled on Ohio State, if those of you who have don't mind sharing? I'm leaning that way, but I feel like I need some encouragement/pep talk/whatever...

I hate to say this, but I called this morning and she told me the same thing. I cracked up a little bit because she started stuttering after the "If you haven't heard from us yet..." part. I got it lady, I got it! Sorry about the bad news! :(

Oh well. I still think it's weird, though, that no one's posted anything.

yep, i'm there/here now. my acceptance email from them included my funding package, but i know that they worked pretty hard throughout the spring to cobble together packages for other students so that none of the incoming class had to teach in their first year. no guarantee that it will be the same this year, but i can promise you that they keep working to put together your financing well into the summer. a colleague of mine was offered a TAship in his first year and mid-summer another fellowship became available so they offered it to him.

edit: if you have questions about the program, feel free to pm me. i will brag that in last week's seminar, the professor made us all brownies. and they're supposed to renovate the grad lounge over the summer, so we've got our fingers crossed that the department will approve our proposal for a wet bar. :lol:

A wet bar!!! Brownies!!! YES! But tbh I probably won't pm you until I know for sure about the funding... then I'll want to hear allll about Pitt because it's where I'll end up. I'd hate to get my hopes up about it and hear that I'm not going to be able to go. I was told that my chances for funding were "very high", but I still hate waiting. Hopefully I'll be seeing you in the fall!

Hey,

Just to let you guys know, I got into Pitt with a fellowship, but I have another offer I'm really considering, so mine might open up, but I don't know what I'm doing and won't for like two weeks. But it is really good to know that the people at Pitt (who have been incredibly nice by the way) worked hard to secure the funds, makes it even harder to make a decision.

Hey good luck with whatever you choose! In the perfect world, we all get funded through super nice departments :)

Just got waitlisted at NYU. Really, really bummed. But I guess, in a way, it's good. Northwestern is definitely the better program for medieval history, and if I had gotten into NYU it would have only tempted me away from the right choice, since I've wanted to live in New York so badly. Oh well, I guess it's fate.

^

Sorry to hear about the waitlist.....but a good friend of mine goes to NU and says it's great, plus Chicago is a cool place to live anyways :)

How did you hear from NYU? Did you contact them? I'm too scared to call or email.....

I didn't contact them, just got an email around noon today. I had wanted to for the last few days, but was also too scared.

I'm just glad it's all over now.

Long-time reader, first-time poster here. My field is U.S. urban history.

I received a call from CUNY today with a fellowship offer. They are calling admitted students to gauge their interest in the program, as they have limited funding and are only extending official offers to serious applicants. So if you are still waiting to hear from CUNY, don't assume you've been rejected.

The news for Rutgers, however, is not as positive. Their admitted student day was two weeks ago, so I would assume that they have extended all of their offers. I don't know if they have a waiting list this year.