Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

42 minutes ago, french_historynerd said:

Guys! I got in! First school to hear from this application cycle: University Nebraska Lincoln, M.A. program. Got the email from my POI personally and then an email from the department minutes later. Waiting for a formal letter with funding info. I applied to 6 M.A. programs and 2 M.A./Ph.D. programs. Literally so excited and happy. 

Congrats! :)

1 hour ago, angesradieux said:

I feel like I'm slowly losing my sanity. Anyone else waking up and ridiculous hours and lunging for the phone to check e-mails? The waiting might just kill me.

Oh god. This is my life. I am overseas and most of the US business day happens while I should be asleep. Twice in the last week I've woken up at 4am to emails from POIs, which I know is a good thing but STILL, it is leading to totally erratic sleeping patterns.  

Edited by OHSP

3 minutes ago, OHSP said:

Oh god. This is my life. I am overseas and most of the US business day happens while I should be asleep. Twice in the last week I've woken up to emails from POIs, which I know is a good thing but STILL, it is leading to totally erratic sleeping patterns.  

hahahaha I was in Berlin during one cycle... yup.  I feel you.  Once my German classes were over and I was on my own, I changed my entire sleep cycle to EST.:blink:

17 minutes ago, OHSP said:

Oh god. This is my life. I am overseas and most of the US business day happens while I should be asleep. Twice in the last week I've woken up at 4am to emails from POIs, which I know is a good thing but STILL, it is leading to totally erratic sleeping patterns.  

I don't even have the excuse of being abroad. I'll randomly wake up at like 4 or 5, and even though I know emails are sent out during business hours and nothing significant will have arrived, I still feel compelled to check my phone. I may have become just a little bit deranged over this whole thing.

13 minutes ago, angesradieux said:

I don't even have the excuse of being abroad. I'll randomly wake up at like 4 or 5, and even though I know emails are sent out during business hours and nothing significant will have arrived, I still feel compelled to check my phone. I may have become just a little bit deranged over this whole thing.

I think it's normal / I think we're all probably super high on the neurotic spectrum. In the middle of the night I received a request for a skype interview and I immediately replied to say, yes, I could make that time and date. Then, in daylight, I realised I'd agreed to be interviewed at 3am my time. I emailed them again. Fun times.  

Edited by OHSP

1 hour ago, french_historynerd said:

Guys! I got in! First school to hear from this application cycle: University Nebraska Lincoln, M.A. program. Got the email from my POI personally and then an email from the department minutes later. Waiting for a formal letter with funding info. I applied to 6 M.A. programs and 2 M.A./Ph.D. programs. Literally so excited and happy. 

Congrats buddy! I'm very happy for you. Here's to hoping for 7 more yeses...

I can't sit here and keep checking and re-checking my email, cause it'll just drive me crazy. I want this so bad I can taste it, but I have enough that drives me crazy without adding the constant "refresh" to that pile.

2 hours ago, TMP said:

hahahaha I was in Berlin during one cycle... yup.  I feel you.  Once my German classes were over and I was on my own, I changed my entire sleep cycle to EST.:blink:

I got my Brown admit in the middle of a nap. I didn't check my phone when it buzzed for the email because I figured it was just another false alarm.

13 hours ago, french_historynerd said:

Congrats! I also applied at UNL for the PhD program. I received the "we made a decision and it has been sent to the graduate school for review" email two days ago, but I have not heard anything from them since. Nervous energy abounds! 

15 hours ago, nevermind said:

Congrats! :)

Thank you so much!

14 hours ago, sreagin1 said:

Congrats buddy! I'm very happy for you. Here's to hoping for 7 more yeses...

Thank you! I hope so!

2 hours ago, YoegiBear said:

Congrats! I also applied at UNL for the PhD program. I received the "we made a decision and it has been sent to the graduate school for review" email two days ago, but I have not heard anything from them since. Nervous energy abounds! 

I hope that means you're in! Best of luck :)

2 hours ago, curiousnotlost said:

Late post here...sorry! I have received acceptances from Michigan State (1/23) and UNL (1/24), both PhD programs. Hopefully this is some assistance for those who are waiting. Best of luck to you all.

That's awesome!!!! Did you get invited to the New Student Welcome Weekend at UNL? 

1 hour ago, french_historynerd said:

Thank you so much!

Thank you! I hope so!

I hope that means you're in! Best of luck :)

That's awesome!!!! Did you get invited to the New Student Welcome Weekend at UNL? 

I did not receive any information about the New Student Welcome Weekend, but I was told more details about that and funding will be sent out shortly. Congrats on your acceptance!

I just also received an informal acceptance from NMSU for their M.A. program and an offer of a 20/hr week Assistantship. Literally, I can not believe how well this week is going. I was not expecting to hear anything until Feb-March for every program I applied to. Praise the History Gods! 

Congrats to whoever received an interview for HASTS@MIT. It's a pretty difficult program to get into. I wish the best of luck to you, whoever you are. :) 

Hey guys! Few hours ago I had a short conversation (over phone) with my POI at Stanford about my application. It was more about my proposal and methodological issues. General tone was encouraging and supportive but he did not mean that the department finalized its decisions and the call does not imply anything for sure. My impression is that probably all sub-fields are very close to decide on the names to be sent to the admission committee, or something like that. It seems they are going to release the decisions in two or three weeks at most, which is consistent with the previous years. 

45 minutes ago, kindkw123 said:

Just receive my informal acceptance letter from my POI at Johns Hopkins. Very excited, strong possibility I will choose to attend.

Congrats!  Hopkins is an excellent school.  Who is your POI there?

20 minutes ago, Murf said:

Congrats!  Hopkins is an excellent school.  Who is your POI there?

Thanks! As a student of Chinese history I have two POI's at JHU, Professor William Rowe and Professor Tobie Meyer-Fong