Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

Thanks for finally making this thread! I am targeting 1-2 PhD's and a handful of funded MA's.

Looking at nineteenth century legal history of the US South... focused on criminal law, but also with a heavy interest in penology and military law during the Civil War.

Hello cohort!

Hello, hello! 

I am also looking at the US South of the 19th century, though I am focusing on the history of slave families and enslaved youth. Still in my early stages of putting together my apps, so I am still searching for programs/POIs. If anyone has suggestions, feel free to post/PM. As always the app season is both exciting and scary, but hopefully it goes well for all of us. 

24 minutes ago, mvlchicago said:

So it begins! If any of y'all have questions about Brown feel free to message me :)
~~First year going on second 

I appreciate the offer and will definitely message you in the coming weeks. 

Seems like such a long time ago that I applied. I guess it has almost been a year now since I began to prepare.

Good luck to everyone! :) 

I guess I might as well post. I'm probably going to apply to a couple of programs, public history or American Christian history focus. Since I'll be finishing up my MA in Public History next spring, I'm torn between going straight into the workforce or fulfilling that life dream of a PhD now v. later. So I figure I'll see what happens!

I, too, am gearing up for a trip through the meat grinder. Environmental History (20th century Latin America). I will apply to around 8 History programs and 2 in other disciplines. School list pretty nailed down, POIs have been contacted, writing sample in good shape and the tailored SOPs are 1/2 done. I hope to have all the apps out in Sep so I can just drill down and finish my thesis for my MS. The app part isn't too bad, just all the infernal waiting! Thanks to everyone who started last fall (and before) and still hang around to help.

Hope everyone is having a great summer.

QM

Holla! Looking to shift my current MA focus of early modern England (poor relief/social welfare) to late 19/20th US, focusing on urban, social welfare, social stratification,  and race and ethnicity. Currently considering about eight programs, and will probably begin reaching out to POI's in September. Also considering a PhD in Education, as I've been doing graduate work as an advisor for first generation college students. A concentration of inequality in education would allow me to continue to focus more practically on my historical interests. As another mentioned above, if you have any suggestions on programs or POI's, definitely let me know!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I started a thread on this last night because I wasn't able to find this one! Great to see other applicants here.

My name is Dom, I'm originally from the UK but currently an undergrad at NYU. I'm hoping to enrol in a PhD program with a focus on US legal history. I haven't taken the GRE yet but will do so early in the Fall. 

5 hours ago, maelia8 said:

Good luck and welcome, future Fall '18 cohort (fingers crossed)! 

Hmmm, thought this was for those applying in 2016 to enter in Fall 2017. Anyway, that's what I am doing! Going to apply to 10-15 schools! Still narrowing down the list! Just took the GREs and finished an MA program! Also trying to get a few things published before the applications open on the school sites... Most are still closed, argh! Anxious to write my personal statement and get on with this, lol!

Hello everyone! 

Glad to see so many applicants!!! Go for it!!!!

I am a fourth year now doing field work abroad. I applied back then to five programs and got into two. I remember using the GradCafé a lot! Browse around, read, and ask questions. 

At this point, I have two pieces of advice:

1) have someone read your SoP. This and the writing sample are CRUCIAL.

2) Besides contacting faculty, also contact a couple of grad students, especially if they work within your field. This last bit doesn't really matter, but it gave me a good icebreaker hahaha but it's good to know from students what it's like to be where they are. 

And if any of you wants to message me, go ahead. I know how overwhelmed you are by everything right now and how every little thing seems a lot. 

Good luck! 

AP

20 hours ago, AP said:

At this point, I have two pieces of advice:

1) have someone read your SoP. This and the writing sample are CRUCIAL.

2) Besides contacting faculty, also contact a couple of grad students, especially if they work within your field. This last bit doesn't really matter, but it gave me a good icebreaker hahaha but it's good to know from students what it's like to be where they are. 

I'm no graduate school veteran, but I'd like to re-emphasize these points and add another. First, not all advice you receive concerning your statement and writing sample will necessarily be good advice. Weigh advice heavily, but don't accept it as gospel. Second, there's no such thing as a 'safe school'. Most programs are relatively competitive, so you might be better off focusing on programs that have broad strengths aligning with your interest instead of a highly ranked program that only tangentially aligns with your interests. 

Fit matters. Quite a lot.

Hello friends,

Looking to apply for a PhD program in History (Near East/Iran/Eurasia/economic/environmental). Done the GRE and all that, but the SoP and writing sample are my focus now. Also I'm an undergrad econ major (sorry) with a history minor.

Also a little confused with language requirements. Is there like a specific level that these program expect you to have if they say they require two or three languages?

Cheers nice to meet you all

Hello friends,

I'm applying for PhD's this fall, in Theology and Near Eastern Studies programs. My topic of interest is somewhat related to history, and I do frequent this forum a lot, since it's much more active than the Religion sub-forum.

I'm gunning for Cambridge or Oxford, with the hope for funding. But, I'll apply to some U.S. programs as well, since I know funding is hard to come by in the U.K.

I've completed the GRE and gotten tons of feedback on my writing sample, which will require some time to clean up.

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for PhD in IR this fall. Already had a go last year but was rejected entirely. No idea what's going on but I guess it had alot to do with SOP and my leave from school to take state exams.

Anyway I'm planning to apply to a range of schools plus funding. My GRE is average, 162/160/5 but I need to get some work done on writing sample and SOP.

Hope to get lots of help from everyone. I'm not sure if I can be of any help since I'm not from the US and I did my undergrad outside the US too.

Good luck everyone!

7 hours ago, jazzmintea said:

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for PhD in IR this fall. Already had a go last year but was rejected entirely. No idea what's going on but I guess it had alot to do with SOP and my leave from school to take state exams.

Anyway I'm planning to apply to a range of schools plus funding. My GRE is average, 162/160/5 but I need to get some work done on writing sample and SOP.

Hope to get lots of help from everyone. I'm not sure if I can be of any help since I'm not from the US and I did my undergrad outside the US too.

Good luck everyone!

Same here - applying to IR PhD for Fall 2017 soon. I will only be applying to a single school (need to take advantage of employee tuition benefits), but I am pretty sure that I will be accepted.

7 hours ago, jazzmintea said:

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for PhD in IR this fall.

Arrgh - I hate the IR abbreviation, I just realized this is the History subforum

Is IR short for Infrared - which is what IR would have meant in my first undergrad years.
International Relations - for my daughter's Political Science background
or Information Research - my current area????

9 hours ago, jazzmintea said:

Hi everyone,

Good luck everyone!

I'm not sure if I'd call your GRE average. It might not be at the upper end of possible, but a 162 probably isn't going to disclude your application from consideration.

GRE is important in History, but I don't think it's as important as other disciplines. Philosophy students have it real harsh. It's almost expected that you'll have over 165.

1) I believe IR is short for International Relations.

2) Clear 160 and you'll be fine in regards to the GRE. When I talked to people about why my application was/was not successful, nobody (and I do mean nobody) brought up my GRE scores. 

On 7/12/2016 at 4:10 PM, vapid said:

Hello friends,

Looking to apply for a PhD program in History (Near East/Iran/Eurasia/economic/environmental). Done the GRE and all that, but the SoP and writing sample are my focus now. Also I'm an undergrad econ major (sorry) with a history minor.

Also a little confused with language requirements. Is there like a specific level that these program expect you to have if they say they require two or three languages?

Cheers nice to meet you all

They mean reading proficiency--you understand the text and can translate it into equally understandable English, without altering the original message. 

Check the graduate handbook for more clarification. Some of the programs I'm looking at stress the need to complete the language exam by the end of the first year, and one or two expect you to be able to take it within the first semester/quarter. Still others will give you the opportunity to fulfill language requirements through taking the classes in the summer or during the regular sessions.

But with two or three required, I hope you have reading proficiency in at least one right now! 

On 7/13/2016 at 10:15 AM, gsc said:

1) I believe IR is short for International Relations.

That's what I figured after looking at what subforum I was in.

IR is short for way too many things.

Just curious as to how many apps you will (did) send out? Assuming that more apps won't increase the odds--but will decrease variance--I was planning on sending out 8-10 but am now leaning toward sending out 5ish.