Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

20 hours ago, realmarcelproust said:

No acceptances yet, but I did have a Skype interview with Penn this afternoon. I got an email yesterday morning requesting one for this afternoon--is it normal for the turnaround with phone/Skype interviews to be so quick? 

I had no idea who would be interviewing me since the email was sent by the department administrative coordinator, but it turned out it was the DGS (who happens to work on Russia/Modern Euro), my two POIs, and another professor (modern Russia, modern Jewish, HR). I was expecting either members from the Admissions committee or just my POI(s), not both! I'm not at all sure how it went. They started off by asking "why history?," "what work of history has inspired/been a model for your own work?", and then my POIs started asking me a lot of really difficult, though very thought-provoking questions about my senior thesis, how I got from my senior thesis to the work I want to do now, and a bunch more questions about the type of work I discussed in my SoP. It was really intense, at least for me. My two POIs debated back and forth about the connections between modernism and the Annales School's relativization of historical time, which was really cool to see, and they both seemed to think my project was really interesting. One of them asked how the book I mentioned earlier in the interview might help us understand the Annales School/the history of historical thought in France (nb: the two aren't obviously related at all) and then asked me if I thought the Annales School was doing up to something political, and if so what? I had no idea it would get this detailed! Part of the reason I want to do this research is because I want to explore the politics of the Annales School in more detail!!! How was I supposed to have a cogent answer to that? I'm very worried I rambled on and on without sounding articulate or making the points I wanted to make. I was honestly expecting them to spend at least half of the time asking me why I wanted to go to Penn, etc. but it was pretty much entirely about me and my potential dissertation project?? I was definitely not as on my game as I could have been today, but I also think this would have rattled no matter what. Sort of frustrated that the first interview I had was with my top choice, and I'm worried I completely blew it, but whatever. 

FWIW they said they would be releasing decisions in mid-February.

Wow so intense! My interview is not for another week. 

Got an invite for a phone interview with POI at the University of Michigan this weekend- so nervous! He wants me to tell him more about what kind of training I want and need, and how I see my trajectory as a PhD student at UM. Since no one at UM (or anywhere aside from NYU really) studies specifically what I study (Chinese Islamic texts during Qing dynasty), I think he wants to talk more about how (and if its possible) to make the program/university resources work for me if I was to attend. Fingers crossed! Haven't heard anything from anywhere else (Yale, Harvard, UWisconsin, Brown, Georgetown, NYU).

Congrats to everyone who's heard back already!

Edited by minion.banana

Received unofficial word from Manitoba that I've been accepted into their Religious Studies and History Ph.D. programs. Official word (by letter) isn't slated to arrive until mid-February but because I've been accepted into both, I'm being asked to reject one within two weeks so the position can be offered to someone else in reasonable time.

Note: I originally reached out to a POI in the Religion Department expressing my interests. They endorsed it and also asked I email Prof. B. in the History Department, because they work in the same field (Prof. A said they'd also touch base with B.), just more historical than religious. This way, it would increase my chances of acceptance and I could work with the other professor, regardless of the department overseeing me.

(Cross posted this in the Religion subforum)

1 hour ago, angesradieux said:

Well after nudging my POI at UNC I was told that barring some catastrophe I should expect an offer around Wednesday. So it looks like I'm actually in somewhere.

My official offer came today, so yours should be coming soon!

On 1/26/2017 at 6:02 PM, OHSP said:

Thanks for posting this @realmarcelproust, I have a Penn interview next week and am vaguely freaking out. I've been told my interviewers will probably be my POIs. I also got an offer from Duke yesterday so am feeling happy/grateful but anxious - Penn would be a much better fit for me. Btw does anyone know if Princeton ever does interviews? I can't see any from scrolling through past years. 

Congrats on the offer from Duke. i haven't heard a peep which leads me to think to unthinkable... i've just about lost hope for Duke.

Hi guys!

As of last week, I've officially applied to all of my programs. I'm only applying to masters programs this cycle, which I suppose is less stressful than applying to doctoral programs, but I am nonetheless awaiting decisions anxiously!

I've been following this thread for a bit, and thought it was time to join in. Congratulations to those of you who have received acceptances, it's truly great to see! :) And best of luck to all of you still waiting to hear.

15 hours ago, sreagin1 said:

Congrats on the offer from Duke. i haven't heard a peep which leads me to think to unthinkable... i've just about lost hope for Duke.

Also losing hope for Duke. I haven't heard anything as well, despite being in contact with my POI for almost two years at this point. This is the only rejection that will really crush me, I think. I'm too hesitant to send an email yet.

19 hours ago, sreagin1 said:

Thanks! Sorry to increase any anxiety by posting - I haven't seen any other Duke acceptances on the results page, though. If I find out any more about the intake size (the email said it was small this year) or whether they've sent out all offers, I'll let you know. 

4 hours ago, Rainy Day Woman said:

Also losing hope for Duke. I haven't heard anything as well, despite being in contact with my POI for almost two years at this point. This is the only rejection that will really crush me, I think. I'm too hesitant to send an email yet.

Also sorry to increase anxiety - hope you get some good news soon. 

Cool to see a couple of folks doing Asian history! I just got an early offer for an MA in East Asian Studies (researching medieval China), waiting to get the full/official details next week. It was the only program I ended up applying to, so it's definitely a relief.

Hi everyone! 

I've been lurking here for a while, but finally broke down and made an account. Has anyone else who applied to Northwestern not received an acceptance or a rejection? I'm a little confused by all the rejections on the results page -- I logged into my application, but it still just says submitted. 

2 hours ago, 17Hopeful said:

Hi everyone! 

I've been lurking here for a while, but finally broke down and made an account. Has anyone else who applied to Northwestern not received an acceptance or a rejection? I'm a little confused by all the rejections on the results page -- I logged into my application, but it still just says submitted. 

Sometimes schools do rolling rejections/acceptances and don't post them all up at once. They also might be waiting to put you on a waitlist.

I checked the results listings today and five people heard back from the University of Virginia but my application still says under review. I'm nervous, what does this mean?

18 minutes ago, LWilk said:

I checked the results listings today and five people heard back from the University of Virginia but my application still says under review. I'm nervous, what does this mean?

good news - UVA is starting to send out notices
bad news - you were not a first round draft pick
Possibly good news - all of the notices went out by email, so check your spam folder (just in case you missed the email)

Has anyone heard back from UGA, Duke, or UNC? If you have, would you mind sharing their decision and you UGPA/GGPA/GRE and topic? I am in that constant back and forth wavering about whether my UGPA-3.739 GGPA-4.0 (after 27 hours) and V-160, Q-152, AW-4.5 is good enough for some of these schools. And in the word of the Romans "Bona fortune tibi" applicants.

49 minutes ago, NCAtlanticist said:

Has anyone heard back from UGA, Duke, or UNC? If you have, would you mind sharing their decision and you UGPA/GGPA/GRE and topic? I am in that constant back and forth wavering about whether my UGPA-3.739 GGPA-4.0 (after 27 hours) and V-160, Q-152, AW-4.5 is good enough for some of these schools. And in the word of the Romans "Bona fortune tibi" applicants.

Hey!

No word from Duke yet for me, but I've heard back from UNC -- official acceptance letter came on Friday, and I'm nominated for Royster Society & merit assistantship. Letter emphasized that they are only contacting me now because I'm nominated for those awards, so don't worry yet. I think you should expect the decision this week or next.

UGPA: 3.683 (graduating in 3 years w/2 majors while playing DI football)/GREV: 166/GREQ: 156/GREAW: 4.0

My research area is American memory of WWII, but more specifically, I want to identify and examine what factors influenced the rise and staying power of the "good war" myth.

Your quantitative credentials are pretty comparable to (if not better than) mine, so you've got a shot at UNC. Duke is likely the same as UNC; I think you'll be accepted at UGA.

Edited by wjd

On 1/29/2017 at 8:27 AM, SarahMoon said:

Northwestern decisions are out (some of them, at least). I just received an acceptance via the Graduate School. 

Hey SarahMoon, just want to say congrats! I received an acceptance from Northwestern as well! 

55 minutes ago, npliegoc said:

Hey SarahMoon, just want to say congrats! I received an acceptance from Northwestern as well! 

Excellent! Congrats to you too :) What's your subfield? 

1 hour ago, wjd said:

Hey!

No word from Duke yet for me, but I've heard back from UNC -- official acceptance letter came on Friday, and I'm nominated for Royster Society & merit assistantship. Letter emphasized that they are only contacting me now because I'm nominated for those awards, so don't worry yet. I think you should expect the decision this week or next.

UGPA: 3.683 (graduating in 3 years w/2 majors while playing DI football)/GREV: 166/GREQ: 156/GREAW: 4.0

My research area is American memory of WWII, but more specifically, I want to identify and examine what factors influenced the rise and staying power of the "good war" myth.

Your quantitative credentials are pretty comparable to (if not better than) mine, so you've got a shot at UNC. Duke is likely the same as UNC; I think you'll be accepted at UGA.

Thanks wjd,

That's awesome that you heard back, congratulations! Did they email you before you got a letter? And thanks again for alleviating some of my stress.

32 minutes ago, NCAtlanticist said:

Thanks wjd,

That's awesome that you heard back, congratulations! Did they email you before you got a letter? And thanks again for alleviating some of my stress.

Thanks! It's an awesome opportunity, and they'll be near the top of my list regardless of who else accepts me.

My POI reached out to me a couple of weeks before the letter to clarify that I was their top choice for their track (they've handed me over to the military history guys) and he started recruiting me before I even had the official offer in hand.