The Graduate Institute Geneva(IHEID) 2017-2018

To those admitted in mdev: did you notice that they have changed the course structure for those starting this year? It is structured with a major and a minor. When I applied there were three tracks and you had to take one course in each per semester. What is your opinion about this change?

2 hours ago, fernandomli said:

To those admitted in mdev: did you notice that they have changed the course structure for those starting this year? It is structured with a major and a minor. When I applied there were three tracks and you had to take one course in each per semester. What is your opinion about this change?

I saw that change when I started writing my Motivation Letter in December. Quite a decent initiative.

13 hours ago, fernandomli said:

which school will you go to? I was admitted to Sciencespo and iheid as well (development). I am 90% sure I will go to Iheid, mainly because of job opportunities. What about you?

Same, probably iheid.. I asked PSIA about when their scholarships result would be released, and they replied end-april. I will probably be going IHEID, given that few Boutmy scholarships are given every year. Jobs/internships opportunities are a big pull factor to iheid, and I really like their public lecture series where they invite someone from the UN or so to talk about issues in the world. I recently realised, after I applied, that someone i knew went to iheid from MIA, and i have another classmate who is doing a second degree with SciencesPo, so I'll probably ask them for their opinions as well.

Hey peeps, so I am pretty late to discovering this amazing website :( But I found this thread today and have read through it all..

Congratulations to all who have been accepted and my condolences to those who missed out this year.

I (surprisingly) have been accepted to study MDev :) Applied as a super duper long shot as love the look on paper of IHEID but never thought I would stand a chance of being accepted! Anyway, a bit about me - I am currently finishing my BA Development Studies and Economics degree at SOAS, University of London. I am a decent student (don't know what my GPA would be) and I am hoping to graduate with a 2.1. I am interested in the Power, Conflict, and Development specialization track. 

So hey, yeah, this is me! :)

26 minutes ago, PriyankaS said:

We should start a facebook page to get started. I've been looking for facebook groups but haven't found anything.

Or we could just start a new thread here where ppl could chat, eventually get to know each other and help other, maybe group up to find housing in Geneva. Not everyone has Facebook 

Edit: has anybody started looking into housing in Geneva? I've heard the student house is pretty hard to get in, so maybe the best bet is ti=o find accommodation outside of campus...

Edited by Ichoboi

8 hours ago, PriyankaS said:

We should start a facebook page to get started. I've been looking for facebook groups but haven't found anything.

I recommend starting a Facebook group. Priyanka, which course are you going for? And which country are you from? 

Hello all,

I'm very happy to have discovered this forum even though a lot has been going on already. 

First of all Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted. To introduce me a bit, I'm from Cameroon, I have been studying International Relations at the University of Southampton and now I have been accepted to the Master in Development Studies at IHEID but also to the Master in International Development at Sciences Po Paris. If Graduate Institute was my prime choice at first for the practicability of the programme I am now a bit hesitating with Sciences Po. I think in Paris there might be more job opportunities for non-EU graduates and overall even if Sciences Po fees are way more expensive than the Graduate ones, living in Geneva seems to be so much more expensive than living in Paris that the difference is not as important as I thought? What do you all think? 

Also, I think it is a great idea to create a facebook page or a new thread to share good links for accommodations and other stuff like that, that will help us prepare for next year :)

15 minutes ago, Michele18 said:

If Graduate Institute was my prime choice at first for the practicability of the programme I am now a bit hesitating with Sciences Po. I think in Paris there might be more job opportunities for non-EU graduates and overall even if Sciences Po fees are way more expensive than the Graduate ones, living in Geneva seems to be so much more expensive than living in Paris that the difference is not as important as I thought? What do you all think? 

That's a similar consideration for some of us. For me, my main concern is the scholarship, which IHEID has addressed. I'm pretty much good with either school.

Edited by Autumn Springs

4 hours ago, Yifan Shen said:

Accepted by MEDV, with full scholarship.

Also applied to: LSE_Development Management (accepted), Kings College London_Political Economy of Emerging Markets (accepted), the University of Edinburgh_International Development (accepted), Science Po_International Development (Rejected)

80% positive I'll go to IHEID.:)

Hi,

Could you and everyone else who received a scholarship share their profile? I am trying to understand their criteria for Scholarship. I might have to decline their offer as I can't afford it :(

Hey guys, quick question. What happens to our admitted status if we do not confirm by the April 15 deadline? I mean I cannot confirm (CHF 1000 is a lot, but I want to continue looking for funding.)

15 minutes ago, Policy Analyst said:

Hi,

Could you and everyone else who received a scholarship share their profile? I am trying to understand their criteria for Scholarship. I might have to decline their offer as I can't afford it :(

IHEID uses two rankings for scholarship allocation

1) Academic strength of your overall application: GPA, GRE (For MA Econ), LoR, awards

2) Financial needs: How much $ for you to be able to attend IHEID. I think it uses 4 categories from can attend without FinAid to need substantial $ to attend

For a strong scholarship application, your profile needs to show high ranking in academic rigour and financial need.

4 minutes ago, CakeTea said:

IHEID uses two rankings for scholarship allocation

1) Academic strength of your overall application: GPA, GRE (For MA Econ), LoR, awards

2) Financial needs: How much $ for you to be able to attend IHEID. I think it uses 4 categories from can attend without FinAid to need substantial $ to attend

For a strong scholarship application, your profile needs to show high ranking in academic rigour and financial need.

Thanks for the reply. Did you receive full scholarship? What course? Their website says most of the funding is need based and since I have been working for 4 years I guess they assumed I wouldn't need it. 

Just now, Policy Analyst said:

Thanks for the reply. Did you receive full scholarship? What course? Their website says most of the funding is need based and since I have been working for 4 years I guess they assumed I wouldn't need it. 

I heard that most $ are need based too. Some current students told me that this somewhat puts students from Europe and US on a disadvantage as they are not perceived as financially needy. Ditto for students with some years' employment. You may notice that most scholarship recipients are from Africa, Central Asia and Far East. 

So much about the rumour that IHEID prefers EU and US applicants. It certainly does not show preference in FinAid.