NYU online SLP grad program?

Hello all,

a few questions: first, has anyone been accepted into this program yet? I understand it was just recently implemented so I don't know if anyone has started any coursework yet. If so, how do you like the program?

Second, has anyone else had a BAD experience applying to this program? I didn't ask for one, but I had an admissions counselor call me one day saying she'd walk me through the admissions process and keep me updated. At first I thought this was fine, but she's been VERY pushy into getting me to apply ASAP. For one, when I first began my application she was trying to push me to do an application when the deadline was the next day! I tried explaining to her that I'm studying to retake the GRE and that I'd like to take a thoughtful approach in preparing my personal statements. But she ignored that and told me to just apply.  After I told her I'd like to apply to a later deadline, she would call me one a week asking about my application. I told her I've been busy and I will get to it. She basically expressed to me on the phone, condescendingly that their more adamant applicants finish their applications in 2-3 weeks. When I asked her how far I was in the application, she immediately responded with "not far at all". Am I the only one whose received such negative feedback ? As I recall from my undergrad Slp program, many of my professors stressed taking the time to fine tune your applications, not rush them!

Mind you I work full time and study for the gre six days a week. I've been doing nothing but preparing for this application season! But in my most recent phone call with my representative, she basically implies I could care less about this.

thanks for reading my frustration. 

I'm currently applying and have spoken to the admissions counselor as well. I could not believe her when she said it takes about 2 weeks to finish an application when people usually work on their personal statements for at least a few months. I'm a second year applicant so I have my statement prepared and everything, but still. The priority deadline listed on their website is October 24th so I don't understand the rush. However since it is rolling admissions, I'm still trying to submit my application by next week. I can see how the counselor can give off a negative vibe but I really just wish I knew their intentions. Like do they just want my application money or are they truly interested in giving me an admission offer? No idea what to think.

My experience has been pretty similar in regards to them wanting me to finish my application. My admission counselor never was rude or negative, but upbeat. Right away the counselor told me I had strong stats and that I should apply. This is my second round as well, got wait listed to all of my schools I applied to last year. The only sense of hope I had is when a fellow classmate called to ask about the program, they told her she needed to retake her GREs before she applied because they were too low. I have a strong GPA but weaker GRE scores. The admission counselors are confusing for sure, especially when other schools are turning students away left and right. 

@macklin_b I agree, I couldn't believe it either when she said people applied that quickly. I completely forgot it was rolling admissions, maybe that's in part why they urge you to apply so quickly, maybe you have a better chance of being accepted? I don't believe they want your application fee money that much, because when you apply online they easily waive the fee for you & also when it's getting close to the deadline they waive the fee then too. I think maybe it's to show NYU they're worth having because they're bringing them in a lot of prospective applicants. But what I don't understand is that its NYU, the name sells itself, doesn't it?

@Crystal Renee I think each counselor must have a different rule of thumb because my admissions counselor didn't recommend for me to do anything except to apply right away. Meanwhile, my stats are not competitive at all. I know I need a higher GRE score to compensate for my GPA. So, with that being said, why are you pushing an applicant with such poor stats to apply? I'm not trying to put myself down, but I'm being realistic, especially since this will be my third time applying. I'm glad your friend had an admissions counselor who was honest with her about applying. I suppose my counselor is just looking to show how many people she can bring into the program. They're very confusing indeed.

I wish you ladies the best of luck. This is a very stressful and frustrating process.

Edited by SundayMatinee

I applied to this program and was rejected 2 weeks after I submitted my application. I will admit that I am kind of a weak applicant, but I thought that being that this program was newer, they would be more willing to take applicants with slightly lower GPAs and GRE scores. Also, by the amount of times my admission councilor called me, I figured they were desperate for people to apply lol. I applied for the September cohort where the deadline was in July. What start time are you all applying for? 

Thanks for your reply, I am sorry to hear this! I do not like that the admission counselor called you so much, then denied you in the end. My friend that called them told her to retake the GREs before applying, so I was hoping they were all honest. I was upfront to them about my low GRE scores and applying, and the counselor told me that my GPA was strong, so I should go ahead and apply and make sure to write strong essays. Now I am nervous lol. 

@HopefulFutureSLP2016 I'm sorry to hear that as well! I'm applying for the January cohort with the October deadline. The counselor told me my GRE was competitive enough, and that she liked how I took pre-reqs after I graduated and proved I'm trying to strengthen myself after a lower undergrad GPA (I'm an out of field applicant). After hearing your story though, this makes me nervous as well. Another thing that makes me nervous is that whenever I try to call to ask a question, I always get her answering machine. I would imagine she is always by the phone or would at least call back the same day.

On the other hand, I'm not sure exactly how involved the admissions counselor is in regards to making an admission decision. Perhaps her only job is to recruit and advise people to apply, but in the end, it's the professors and department chairs who are in charge of the decision? Ugh, there is just so much uncertainty involved in the application process.

• 7 months later...

My experience applying was very straightforward and upfront.  I wouldn't describe my admissions counselor as pushy as much as really on top of things- much more than I would expect a graduate program admissions office to be involved.  I did get accepted and will be starting this coming fall.  Definitely super expensive...but one of the few programs I found that was online, allowed part time students, and didn't require extensive stays on campus.  

I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who's been attending the program this last year.  Reviews?  Advice?

@2TwoNKZ Congrats! I've just been accepted to this program and will be starting in May if I take this offer (waiting on a couple waitlists). I would just like some more info on it too, as I haven't been able to find any info from current students.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/18/2017 at 4:59 PM, macklin_b said:

@2TwoNKZ Congrats! I've just been accepted to this program and will be starting in May if I take this offer (waiting on a couple waitlists). I would just like some more info on it too, as I haven't been able to find any info from current students.

Congratulations! Share your experience. ☺️ Just submitted my application and I am super nervous. How was your GRE and GPA?

I applied in December and was accepted in mid - February. Initially I really enjoyed the program and the admissions counselors made me feel very important by always calling and following up with my application, they even called me when I was accepted into the program. However, I felt a little pressured because I had to put down a $500 deposit by the end of February when I wouldn’t find out from other programs I applied to until April. I obviously put down my deposit to save my seat, especially because our field is becoming so competitive! I really connected with my admissions counselor, so when I had 3 different ones(introduced through email) after her I became a little less interested and felt like I was just another student being passed along. Also- I was told I had to retake FIVE prerequisites for the program when I graduated with an undergraduate degree in communication sciences. 3 were because the syllabus said the course “didn’t provide enough information about a,b &c”, 1 because I received a b- which didn’t match up with their B minimum requirement, and another because I received a C, which I was ok with retaking (I figured it would be a good refresher). That made the program 6 trimesters for me (may 2018-fall 2020) when I was told I would be graduating in May 2020. When I had sent in new syllabi for the 3 courses they didn’t get back to me until AFTER I had to register for classes so i registered for all prerequisite courses initially. Overall just a very frustrating situation and I felt lost within the program, when I initially felt wanted by them. I decided to give up my seat after I was removed off the waitlist at other schools (then finally got calls from them again). You also only have 3 practicums as opposed to the minimum of 5 I would receive from other programs I was accepted to. If you need to work part time/have a family I really don’t think the program is a bad option but for me I just didn’t think I would academically succeeed in an online classroom without the constant support and face to face interactions! It doesn’t seem like the coursework online is the same as in class though, which is great! I also live in NJ so it didn’t make much sense when I got into another city school in the area. 

Good Luck to those enrolled though, I’m sure I’m just one of those bizzare situations! 

I have a similar experience of upbeat and pushy admission counselors. I was on the fence about applying but I uploaded all my materials onto the application minus the essay portion. Almost two weeks before the May 2018 application closed I got calls from the counselor almost every other day asking if I needed help and reminding me that I am close to finishing. The way they approached me about my application made me not want to apply, they were very pushy and made me feel like they just wanted me to apply for the fee or their commission.

15 hours ago, SLP112494 said:

I applied in December and was accepted in mid - February. Initially I really enjoyed the program and the admissions counselors made me feel very important by always calling and following up with my application, they even called me when I was accepted into the program. However, I felt a little pressured because I had to put down a $500 deposit by the end of February when I wouldn’t find out from other programs I applied to until April. I obviously put down my deposit to save my seat, especially because our field is becoming so competitive! I really connected with my admissions counselor, so when I had 3 different ones(introduced through email) after her I became a little less interested and felt like I was just another student being passed along. Also- I was told I had to retake FIVE prerequisites for the program when I graduated with an undergraduate degree in communication sciences. 3 were because the syllabus said the course “didn’t provide enough information about a,b &c”, 1 because I received a b- which didn’t match up with their B minimum requirement, and another because I received a C, which I was ok with retaking (I figured it would be a good refresher). That made the program 6 trimesters for me (may 2018-fall 2020) when I was told I would be graduating in May 2020. When I had sent in new syllabi for the 3 courses they didn’t get back to me until AFTER I had to register for classes so i registered for all prerequisite courses initially. Overall just a very frustrating situation and I felt lost within the program, when I initially felt wanted by them. I decided to give up my seat after I was removed off the waitlist at other schools (then finally got calls from them again). You also only have 3 practicums as opposed to the minimum of 5 I would receive from other programs I was accepted to. If you need to work part time/have a family I really don’t think the program is a bad option but for me I just didn’t think I would academically succeeed in an online classroom without the constant support and face to face interactions! It doesn’t seem like the coursework online is the same as in class though, which is great! I also live in NJ so it didn’t make much sense when I got into another city school in the area. 

Good Luck to those enrolled though, I’m sure I’m just one of those bizzare situations! 

This is so interesting because i'm having a super similar experience from their in person program!!! Minus the calls and personal feel initially. But there is just so much they weren't up front about with requirements and they're taking a long time to get back about what courses they will accept or not. It's a bummer but comforting to hear that the experience is similarly frustrating online.  

I have had the same experience.  I have had multiple addmission counselors some great and others seem like the really do not care.  I have applied a few times and they will not let you know what could be done better.  That frustrates me.  Is it my gpa, gre, essays, what can I improve!  Some of them call every week others call when you call them back.  Part of me would love to know if I am just spinning my wheels and I have no chance what so ever of getting in.  It would be nice to know.  I keep applying because maybe one time they will see persitstance as a good quality.  Over all the process is tiring but I keep working towards it.  I am not that impressed with them but I really want to be in school.  I need to take online classes because of family and work.  Just waiting for the next application cycle to begin in August.