2017 Canadian Application Thread!

Hi all!

I only just found this thread now... (what a waste!)

Good luck to all of us who are still waiting! I heard from McGill today, so they're definitely contacting people about now. (: As for UBC, the site says to expect decisions by the end of the month, and for ORPAS, I got an email (from Western) stating that decisions will be posted on March 31st--so take a breath till then! 

I was wondering if anyone could give me some input with regards to the pros/cons of the programs at McGill, UBC, and Western. I read someone else's post that UBC tends to be more theoretical in their focus (which, as an undergrad at UBC, I can't say I'm terribly surprised by). Would anyone be able to give me more information about the programs and Western and McGill as well? I've not had a whole lot of opportunities to connect with students at these schools, so I'd appreciate any input from you all!

Again, all the best everyone!

@hopeful246 congratulations! I'm finishing up my undergrad at UBC and I've heard some similar comments from local SLPs. However, I do have friends in the program right now who do enjoy it. One of my friends said that the first semester is hard, but I think that's just adjusting to a new program. I also know that you so two clinical placements in your first summer. One month each at two different places. There's also another clinical placement where you alternate days between placement and going to classes. 

Good luck!

@mizuro Thank you, and congrats to you too! 

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I've spoken to two SLPs who've gone through the program at UBC, and they do seem to have loved it! I got a pretty great breakdown of the program and it definitely does sound like a challenge, but I guess we all knew that would be the case when we applied. By no means have I heard back from Western nor UBC, but I don't know how I could ever go about deciding which school would be the best fit--so if you (or anyone else!) has any recommendations as to what would be important factors to consider, let me know! (:

6 hours ago, Hopeful246 said:

@mizuro Thank you, and congrats to you too! 

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I've spoken to two SLPs who've gone through the program at UBC, and they do seem to have loved it! I got a pretty great breakdown of the program and it definitely does sound like a challenge, but I guess we all knew that would be the case when we applied. By no means have I heard back from Western nor UBC, but I don't know how I could ever go about deciding which school would be the best fit--so if you (or anyone else!) has any recommendations as to what would be important factors to consider, let me know! (:

Congrats guys! I also just had a voicemail from McGill and got in yesterday...and definitely wasn't expecting to. Waiting to hear from U of A as well and I feel the same (if I were to get in there). There aren't really any sites that compare programs so I have no idea which would be better a better fit! 

For the third time applicants here, how have you been dealing with academic references? I'm a second time applicant and I'm worried about having to ask my professors to submit their references yet again next year if this year doesn't work out.

I graduated last year and have since been working as a speech language assistant.  Aside from a couple online courses, I haven't been in school for quite a while. I'm worried that asking for another reference might be too much to ask for when I haven't been in their classes for two years. 

Any advice?

20 minutes ago, slpbee said:

For the third time applicants here, how have you been dealing with academic references? I'm a second time applicant and I'm worried about having to ask my professors to submit their references yet again next year if this year doesn't work out.

I graduated last year and have since been working as a speech language assistant.  Aside from a couple online courses, I haven't been in school for quite a while. I'm worried that asking for another reference might be too much to ask for when I haven't been in their classes for two years. 

Any advice?

When I applied this year, I had graduated one year before with a Master of Arts degree, so I had been out for a while. My these supervisor was happy to write a reference, as she knows me quite well (we have kept in touch since then). The other reference I requested was from a professor who knew me in undergraduate and graduate school. Out of all academic options, she was the one who knew me best (although we both acknowledged that it had been a while which I took to mean it's not going to be the strongest reference ever). Should you have to apply for round three (I hope this year works out for you!!), just be honest with your requests and provide them with a detailed list of what you have been doing and with your statements of intent. Try to keep in touch with them, too. It's definitely not too much to ask; it's part of their job. 

18 minutes ago, slpslpslpslp said:

Just got the call from McGill! I will definitely be accepting! I hope everyone gets the school they want!

Congrats! Did you only apply to McGill, or other schools as well?

1 minute ago, SLPinthemaking said:

Congrats! Did you only apply to McGill, or other schools as well?

I applied to McGill, Western, Toronto, and McMaster. So far I have had an interview at McMaster, but still haven't heard from other schools. I noticed your location says Windsor; I'm from Windsor as well! 

30 minutes ago, slpslpslpslp said:

I applied to McGill, Western, Toronto, and McMaster. So far I have had an interview at McMaster, but still haven't heard from other schools. I noticed your location says Windsor; I'm from Windsor as well! 

Oh really, thats so funny! I only know of myself and two other girls applying from windsor, so its cool to see someone else!! Its awesome that you got McGill though!! I also applied to Western, Toronto and Mac, and also had the Mac interview, so I'm just anxiously waiting!

Edited by SLPinthemaking

Congratulations to those receiving responses!!!

For those accepted to McGill, was there any mention of the deadline for accepting the offer? 

Also, does anyone know when we might know whether we made it onto the waitlist?

10 minutes ago, Klamb said:

Congratulations to those receiving responses!!!

For those accepted to McGill, was there any mention of the deadline for accepting the offer? 

Also, does anyone know when we might know whether we made it onto the waitlist?

April 7th is deadline to accept

Congrats everyone on their acceptances so far.

Beside those you got accepted on Wednesday (15th), has anyone else heard from Dalhousie? Any other acceptance emails, wait list or rejection emails? I am wondering if all the acceptance emails went all at once, or if there is still hope!

Edited by hopingSLP

1 hour ago, SpeechWannaB said:

Does anyone know if today was the last day to hear from McGill?

I called yesterday before I got my call and they said that they would most likely be making calls into Monday if they didn't finish today. Unfortunate it is over a weekend and not Wednesday/Thursday/Friday like past years. 

I've been accepted to McGill as well. :) I received the call earlier today, but in my McGill portal, the application status is still "In Review". Anybody else in the same boat/ know why this is the case?

Thanks! :) 

22 minutes ago, slp_m633 said:

I've been accepted to McGill as well. :) I received the call earlier today, but in my McGill portal, the application status is still "In Review". Anybody else in the same boat/ know why this is the case?

Thanks! :) 

If you got the call it means you've been accepted but it takes a few days before the status will change on Uapply. Then you'll have until April 7th to accept :) 

I got an offer from McGill as well and am definitely accepting! Except that my status hasn't changed on UApply yet. I guess it will eventually change and I'll be able to accept online?

Fellow future McGill students of Sept 2017, should we create a FB group or something?! :)

25 minutes ago, linguistics_grad said:

I got an offer from McGill as well and am definitely accepting! Except that my status hasn't changed on UApply yet. I guess it will eventually change and I'll be able to accept online?

Fellow future McGill students of Sept 2017, should we create a FB group or something?! :)

A FB group is a great idea!