2017 Canadian Application Thread!

Everyone I know who applied to McGill got their rejection letters today. The one I know that was accepted got a call last Thursday. I got neither... and my uApply status still says "in review". Neither accepted, nor rejected, nor waitlisted as of yet.

Does this mean that they don't send the emails out all at once? What is happening!

18 minutes ago, Vee_SLP said:

Everyone I know who applied to McGill got their rejection letters today. The one I know that was accepted got a call last Thursday. I got neither... and my uApply status still says "in review". Neither accepted, nor rejected, nor waitlisted as of yet.

Does this mean that they don't send the emails out all at once? What is happening!

I am in the same boat! 

29 minutes ago, Nelsonlambert said:

Hello everyone. Quick question, does anyone know how competitive the mine engineering program is??? I've applied as a mature student and can't find any info about the acceptance rates... 

At mcgill

1 hour ago, Nelsonlambert said:

Hello everyone. Quick question, does anyone know how competitive the mine engineering program is??? I've applied as a mature student and can't find any info about the acceptance rates... 

Oops, wrong thread! This one is for the Master's in Speech-Language Pathology.

19 hours ago, linguistics_grad said:

Hi!! How nice of you to offer! In fact, I do have a question. I was wondering about the option to do a combined degree at McGill, which I understand entails doing a 3rd year for research. I was wondering how many students generally go that route? And how long do you have to decide? And if you do decide to do the combined degree do you apply for funding in your first or second year?

Also, how's your first year going? :) I've already been accepted and can't wait to get started! 

Hi! Very few people do the research option, in fact nobody in my year is doing it. (Unless they've kept it very secret?? This is wildly unlikely.) I'm sorry, I can't remember how long you have to decide, they told us at orientation and it hasn't been mentioned since. Since nobody in my year expressed any interest, I don't know anything about funding either. Sorry, I hadn't planned on being so useless!

I can tell you how the first year is going, at least. It's really great. McGill's SCSD is a great, tight-knit community, very mutually supportive. Most of the academic content is in first year (and most of that is distributed in the Fall semester). I'd say in general it's more time-consuming than hard, I think is the best way to describe it. There's a huge focus on group work, if you don't love group work already you're going to have to learn to love it. Grades honest-to-goodness barely matter -- you'll get to stop caring about that coveted perfect GPA soon!

12 hours ago, slpslpslpslp said:

I'm curious about what neighbourhood to live in! I want to at least start looking when I come for the open house since I'm making the trip to Montreal anyways. I've read online that a lot of grads live in Plateau Mont-Royal, but most of the apartments I have found online that I really like are South-East of McGill, closer to the Concordia neighbourhood. There are newer places there, while Plateau seems to have a a lot of older buildings. Any suggestions? 

I am feeling extra useless today because I'm an outlier in terms of lodging -- I chose to go for the long commute, cheap rent and the immersive french community, so I'm out in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve. I can't in good conscious suggest that to someone who is not me, especially because it's nowhere near any of the practicum locations. In terms of neighbourhoods closer to campus... I feel like a lot of it is just personal preference?

I know for a fact a couple of my classmates are lurking here, though, so maybe they'll jump in something more useful to say in terms of neighbourhoods. :)

4 hours ago, treaclemineroad said:

Hi! Very few people do the research option, in fact nobody in my year is doing it. (Unless they've kept it very secret?? This is wildly unlikely.) I'm sorry, I can't remember how long you have to decide, they told us at orientation and it hasn't been mentioned since. Since nobody in my year expressed any interest, I don't know anything about funding either. Sorry, I hadn't planned on being so useless!

I can tell you how the first year is going, at least. It's really great. McGill's SCSD is a great, tight-knit community, very mutually supportive. Most of the academic content is in first year (and most of that is distributed in the Fall semester). I'd say in general it's more time-consuming than hard, I think is the best way to describe it. There's a huge focus on group work, if you don't love group work already you're going to have to learn to love it. Grades honest-to-goodness barely matter -- you'll get to stop caring about that coveted perfect GPA soon!

I am feeling extra useless today because I'm an outlier in terms of lodging -- I chose to go for the long commute, cheap rent and the immersive french community, so I'm out in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve. I can't in good conscious suggest that to someone who is not me, especially because it's nowhere near any of the practicum locations. In terms of neighbourhoods closer to campus... I feel like a lot of it is just personal preference?

I know for a fact a couple of my classmates are lurking here, though, so maybe they'll jump in something more useful to say in terms of neighbourhoods. :)

Ooooh! Interesting that you mention Hochelaga. My partner is francophone and we've been gravitating towards the long commute/cheap rent/immersive French combo. How do you like it there??

On 3/19/2017 at 0:28 AM, treaclemineroad said:

Hi guys, I just wanted to give a quick hello to all those SLP kids potentially coming to McGill starting in Fall 2017. I'm currently in my first year at McGill so if you have any questions, I'm up for it.

I'm U.S. applicant just accepted to McGill- do you or any of your classmates have experience with ASHA certification after studying in Canada? Thanks!

5 hours ago, linguistics_grad said:

Ooooh! Interesting that you mention Hochelaga. My partner is francophone and we've been gravitating towards the long commute/cheap rent/immersive French combo. How do you like it there??

I like it a lot, I was able to find a much nicer place for the same amount of money relative to the last place I'd lived (a basement apartment in Ottawa). It's a lot quieter than anything you'd get in the middle of town. People are friendlier than in the middle of town -- which has sometimes caught me off guard because I don't always understand thicker Quebecois accents, lol. The proportion of people who can be automatically expected to speak English is dramatically reduced relative to the city centre, which is nice if you want to have some eternal motivation to force yourself to speak French. I don't know if you drive or not, but if you don't, if you're reasonably close to the green line (which runs from Honore-Beaugrand to Angrignon, and has a McGill station along its route), the commute's not even that bad -- the bulk of my commute is the bus ride TO the closest green line station. The area I'm in specifically (Mercier-Ouest, but even people who live in Montreal don't necessarily know where that is, so I generally say Hochelaga-Maisonneuve) is particularly endearing because it has a lot of young families and a lot of cultural diversity.

When we're talking about long commutes, the real relevance of that is for practicum placements. If you end up wanting to get an English practicum placement within Montreal for one of the major practicum placements (eg in the spring after first year), and you live on the east (French) side, that's when the commute can be particularly daunting. Granted that is a big "if" -- most people do not stay in Montreal for spring practicum.

6 hours ago, sbog said:

I'm U.S. applicant just accepted to McGill- do you or any of your classmates have experience with ASHA certification after studying in Canada? Thanks!

Hi sbog, I'm sorry to be useless again but I believe everyone in my class has lived in Canada for at least 5 years before starting at McGill, and I don't know of anyone who is planning on working in the states after graduation. Although this link https://www.mcgill.ca/scsd/programs/slp/appliedmasters/certification says that SAC & ASHA have an agreement for mutually acceptable certification. I don't know if that's helpful, but I don't know any more than that.

19 hours ago, SLP?!?! said:

Has anyone who got accepted from McGill gotten the accept on uapply yet?

I emailed McGill about their prospective students day and they gave me a lot of information about  the admissions process that  may help clear up what is going on. 

" Our recommendation to admit you will be forwarded to the McGill Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office for final approval. Once this process is complete, it may take up to 10 working day,  you will receive a detailed letter of offer specifying any conditions you must still meet for admission (e.g. submitting official transcripts, confirmation of degree completion, proof of completion of outstanding pre-requisites) via the uApply system. 

After receiving the official letter, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any outstanding questions or concerns about your offer.  "

13 minutes ago, SLPhopeful17 said:

Congrats! Were you originally put on the waiting list?

Not even.. I had no news so I was actually just coming to terms with being rejected. I was VERY surprised to get a call today.

Just got an email saying that I have been waitlisted at Dal! I am super excited that it is not a rejection. Now fingers crossed! 

Those of you who are still hoping to hear from Dal, you should be getting an email soon.

Edited by hopingSLP

Hey pals!

I'm also in the current first-year class at McGill and creeping on this thread (lol @treaclemineroad way to call us out). Hit me up if you're planning on going to McGill and would be interested in splitting a 2-bedroom in the fall! I'm looking in the St. Henri area because I absolutely love the neighbourhood and it's a decently short commute if you live close to one of the metro stations there. :) 

On March 16, 2017 at 8:18 PM, SpeechWannaB said:

I'm not sure of an exact number but I have friends at both Western and Toronto this year in the program who have told me that both programs have increased in size for this upcoming application year. My friend at Toronto told me "Apparently it's mandated that all programs in the faculty of medicine increase. So I believe that SLP is accepting 20 more students this year for a total class size of nearly 70" .  So hopefully this means more good news for people....

I can't help after hearing people post about McGill acceptances become discouraged...the application process is emotionally exhausting to say the least. 

U of T is increasing the program by 5 so from 50 to 55 this year and then the following year another 5, so 60 from every year after that 

12 hours ago, SpeechWannaB said:

I read online Western is increasing from 30, to nearly 45...anyone know the truth in this?

Well our class currently has 40 people so it wouldn't surprise me if they increased by 5 considering other schools are increasing their numbers. 

Hi guys, I've been creeping this thread for a while but finally decided to make an account so I could join in :) congrats to all those who have been accepted and waitlisted!

Just wondering, does anyone have any idea what's going on at UBC? I know they've made some acceptance calls, I'm starting to lose hope...it's the only school I applied to this year as I don't graduate until August and I didn't want to worry about relocating if I got in (I'm from Vancouver).