2017 Canadian Application Thread!

On 4/16/2017 at 11:48 PM, SLPdreamer1996 said:

Hi guys!

I'm applying next year (for Fall 2018). I know it's quite early, but since this summer I will be preparing my files, I would like to get a bit of advice for those who have been through this hard process!

I am currently a McGill student, with a 3.75 GPA (however subGPA will probably be in the 3.85 area), and have about 2 years of laboratory experience; 1 where I volunteered for 5 months, SLP related laboratory, and the other where I have volunteered since the beginning of my undergrad (non SLP related). I have also had experiences with different needs children, working in two specialized summer camps. I am hoping to also complete a 6 month thesis course to somehow brighten up my CV with a McGill prof (however I was wondering if the thesis is not SLP or linguistics related, would that disadvantage my application?). I've also wanted to volunteer at an SLP clinic, however I am not sure whether it will be one - on - one working with an SLP (which is required for all Ontario universities). I have worked with an SLP for 14 hours (the minimum), but have had an extremely hard time finding an English SLP, since I live in Quebec. I will also be taking the GRE exam (for Dalhousie and UofAlberta). I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how I could imporve my chances?

I also wanted to apply to UofT, but they seem to have somewhat changed their pre-reqs classes. It says 'research methods', however prior to that they would have accepted statistics I (McGill), however now, they no longer accept that class, and additionally, the classes that they do accept, no longer exist in McGill! Is there a way that they would still accept statistics I or?

Additionally, I received two equivalency approvals from another university (that my class that I took is equivalent to their classes), however the McGill classes are not listed as a pre-reqs at UofT and Western - would it be okay if I simply provide the equivalency letters that McGill has provided or should I also get an equivalency check through my desired SLP universities?

Congrats on those who got accepted and for those who didn't, there is always next year :)

Thank you :)

Hi! I'm in the same boat as you. McGill student thinking of applying next fall. I'm not sure if I will tbh, because I have another career path I'm contemplating and my volunteer experience in relation to this field is limited. You seem super well prepared, and research experience is always good. What is the research you're planning on doing for the thesis course about? I don't think it matters if it's not SLP or linguistics related, because you have some other SLP-related experience in there. 

Are you sure about the UofT prereqs? It says the classes they had listed up until the changes this year will still be valid up to 2020. Here is a full list of accepted McGill classes: http://www.slp.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/McGill-University-Jan-18.pdf. I have to say that their prereqs are really frustrating. I won't be able to apply because I am missing one course, which McGill won't allow me to take because I'm not in the department of psychology. 

On 13/04/2017 at 1:07 PM, Waiting_for_something said:

Nope, nothing as of yet :(

Are you guys getting really frustrated? I haven't heard either and I feel like it seems pretty late to be letting us know either way. Like either put us out of our misery or make us happy! Sorry for the rant...I'm just sick of waiting. 

On 4/17/2017 at 2:31 PM, WestCoastSpeechie said:

To all of those who have taken AUDI402 at UBC for the SLP program: do you have any tips for the final exam? Was it very difficult? I'm so nervous as my acceptance rides on this! 

Hello,

My tip would be to know your diagrams really well :) If I remember correctly, the exam uses some of the same diagrams that you were given during the units.

You can do it! I'm sorry I don't remember more about the exam, it feels so long ago now.

On 4/4/2017 at 10:09 PM, speechie2017 said:

Has anyone started a Facebook group for McMaster? /has anyone accepted their offer to McMaster? 

I haven't see a Facebook group for McMaster - but if there is one I would love to be added.

Already excited for fall 2017! 

11 hours ago, SLP_SP said:

Are you guys getting really frustrated? I haven't heard either and I feel like it seems pretty late to be letting us know either way. Like either put us out of our misery or make us happy! Sorry for the rant...I'm just sick of waiting. 

I agree... I'm not sure what the hold up is for sending rejections. Last year I didn't get my rejection from U of A until mid May. So potentially prepare for a longer wait, but it is very frustrating.

I recently accepted my spot at U of A. I'm still in shock, I really didn't think I'd get in! I only applied to 2 schools (McGill being the other, I got rejected there) so I thought I was really unlikely to get in and that I'd have to give it another go next year. If anyone is going to U of A and wants to chat before we start feel free to PM me! Best of luck to everyone still on waitlists, I hope I'll get to see some of you around at U of A :)

On 4/19/2017 at 10:04 AM, SLP_SP said:

Ya at this point I don't think I have a chance of getting in, but I don't get why they don't send the refusal letters and let us get this out of the way. It's definitely nerve wrecking 

Longtime lurker of this thread - I was waitlisted at U of A, and found out on the 18th that I was accepted! Does anyone from Victoria, going to U of A this fall, want to meet up before hand? Also, has a facebook group been created?

4 hours ago, Haelkaly said:

Longtime lurker of this thread - I was waitlisted at U of A, and found out on the 18th that I was accepted! Does anyone from Victoria, going to U of A this fall, want to meet up before hand? Also, has a facebook group been created?

Ah cool! I'm in Victoria too! I was wondering if there was going to be anyone else from this area heading to UofA!

Hey guys,

Did any of you get an answer from Ottawa if you were waitlisted?

I am still waiting....eagerly!! and Congrats to all who have accepted their offers!

Hey guys! Does anyone living in London know anything about the Luxe London apartments on Richmond? I've been searching for off campus housing and it seems to be coming up quite a bit! Any housing/location recommendations would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

For everyone who got off the Western waitlist? How long after you called Janet back did your ORPAS change? I got a call yesterday and confirmed on the phone but was told me ORPAS may only change today but it still hasn't so now I'm worried something is wrong?

Hi all -

I am new to the thread and recently was accepted to UofT. Looking for any fellow U of T'ers wanting to chat!

I am out of province and was unable to attend the open house, I would love to make some connections! 

Thanks!

On April 25, 2017 at 3:20 PM, SLP2BE2017 said:

For everyone who got off the Western waitlist? How long after you called Janet back did your ORPAS change? I got a call yesterday and confirmed on the phone but was told me ORPAS may only change today but it still hasn't so now I'm worried something is wrong?

hey there was a delay for my ORPAS and Western Student centre to apply the updated changes. As long as you went on ORPAS, made it a firm accept, pressed review and submit, you'll be fine!

11 hours ago, Waiting_for_something said:

Hi everyone just got refusal for U of A :( wish I knew the reason for being denied 

\

Email the school and ask for recommendations on improving your application. It shows that you're determined to pursue the program and it will give you valuable information on any shortcomings they see in your application (however small). Hopefully your name will stick out next round as someone who made that extra effort. After being rejected by UofA last year, I emailed to ask what I should do to improve my application. I did exactly what they suggested, and I was fortunate enough to get in this year.

Don't give up!

For anyone who didn't get in to school this year and might be looking to gain experience (but already has a background at least studying child development), take a look at this posting! I covered this maternity leave last year in central BC and learned SO much...and really think it is the reason I was accepted to SLP this year. And it was awesome to experience smaller northern communities, not to mention the people were so friendly and it is beautiful up there!!

Feel free to message me if you want any info :) 

2017-015 Infant Development Program Consultant - Mat Leave.pdf

For everyone waiting to hear from U of A.. they didn't email rejections this year. There is a note attached to the grad admissions portal.