2017 Canadian Application Thread!

CONGRATS to everyone on their acceptances so far...such an exciting time!

I have been accepted to both Western and Toronto and will most likely be accepting Toronto so that will open up a spot on Western's waitlist. 

If anyone else whose accepting Toronto wants to chat send me a message or perhaps we should start a FB group! I will definitely be looking for roommates next September and am so excited to meet everyone! 

Congratulations to everyone who got in!!! And I am hopeful that people from the waitlist get too so just hang in there guys!

I just accepted UofT and im totally on board with a Facebook group for people going into UofT.

Sidenote, anyone going to the open house next Friday? if you are going feel free to message me or reply since I'm gonna be going there.

Hey everyone! New to this thread but I have been accepted to Western and Toronto, however Toronto will be where I accept my offer. 

I see there are others who are set on Toronto too so I have made a FB group so we can all start chatting - I am excited to meet all of you :)

Here is the name of the FB group

- UoT SLP - Incoming Class of 2017

https://www.facebook.com/groups/635328166655931/

15 hours ago, embenAUD said:

Hey! Congrats on your acceptance to U of T :)

What does it mean when people inclue (#12/36) in their blog? It looks like a position on the waitlist (?) but I thought that information was impossible to get. 

Thanks!

Hey so when I received the email from McMaster there was a letter attached that did tell me my position on the waitlist! I know Western does not make this known but it was forsure nice to know where I stood, even though I have firmly accepted my offer to U of T! :) 

8 minutes ago, SLPwannabe! said:

Sigh...still nothing from UofA... they're really behind this year it seems. Anyone else sitting extremely anxiously waiting to hear back? 

I'm still waiting as well. I wish they were more specific with the time like all of the other universities seem to be. So frustrating! I only have a tiny shred of hope left...

27 minutes ago, slpteacher said:

I'm still waiting as well. I wish they were more specific with the time like all of the other universities seem to be. So frustrating! I only have a tiny shred of hope left...

Me too :( I'm losing more and more hope every day. And I doubt they'd send anything on the weekend. I read on here that someone talked to admin and they said if you didn't find out by April 1st it doesn't mean you didn't get in but that's not giving me very much hope unfortunately. 

I can't wait any longer! 

On 3/31/2017 at 0:21 PM, JessieBear said:

I am in the same boat!!! I am currently taking introduction to linguistics as well as phonetics courses and will be completed these by the end of April after exams. I am not worried about these courses as I am doing very well. I am also currently taking an online physiology course (not anatomy, but similar thing I suppose) through Athabasca University. I have a year to complete the course, but I am trying to complete it in 5 months haha (since ORPAS needs final grades by June 30th...yet U of T gave a different date on their website...I will need to ask them about that)! So far I am on track but definitely feel stressed that I won't finish in time or won't get a decent mark. Hang in there.

Ooh thank you! I emailed UofT, we have until Aug 1 for all pre-reqs course transcripts to be in. LOL I dared ask "what if its not a B+" and they mentioned the offer may be revoked. So the pressure is on! 

Hello! I wish I knew about this Forum (or the GradCafe in general) before! You all sound so lovely and helpful!

I too am wondering about your opinions on the schools. Many of you seem really excited about specific programs, so what is it that you like about them? Every school seems to say that it is the best. I'm sure they're all incredible, but I'm having trouble deciding! :) Thank you!

So far I've been accepted to UBC, UofT, and Western. I declined the interview at McMaster, and have been waitlisted at UofA, McGill, and Dalhousie.

I was just about to say the same for those going to McMaster... haven't heard from anyone on the forum saying they would be accepting an offer there.

16 hours ago, SLPlease? said:

I was wondering the same thing! Please let me know if you hear anything!

I think I need some friends to create a group... if you're going to Alberta, PM me your facebook pages so I can add you :)

On 3/31/2017 at 4:12 PM, WestCoastSpeechie said:

To the people wondering about UBC, I got a call this afternoon saying I was accepted!!! In total shock. I haven't graduated with my bachelor's yet (summer is my last semester) and I'm from BC so I only applied at UBC. I had a lot of self-doubt as my GPA isn't as amazing as many of the other people on here, but I guess my work/volunteer/research experience helped out. Feeling super excited!! Anyone else get a call from them today?

I saw that someone started a FB group for another school to get to know everyone, anyone interested in one for UBC? :)

On 3/31/2017 at 4:26 PM, Hopeful246 said:

@WestCoastSpeechie Congrats! I think it'd be great if you could start a Facebook Group (:

I have also been accepted to UBC and I am definitely interested in a Facebook group!

I find it interesting how schools differ on their selection processes and application requirements. I had applied to five schools across Canada for the 2017 intake, and was rejected by 4/5 (not waitlisted for any). It seems that GPA is probably the most heavily weighted component of everyone's applications, so I wonder how fine of a distinction committees make beyond an applicants GPA.

Also, congrats to those who have received admission offers to UBC!