2017 Canadian Application Thread!

On 4/1/2017 at 1:52 PM, SLP2BE2017 said:

Does anyone know when they start calling waitlisted people? Is there a set date or do they start as soon as individuals reject their offers?

Wondering the same question...

7 minutes ago, dxsh4 said:

Does anyone know how many people get accepted into each program?

I could be wrong about some of these, and I don't know some. Maybe the others could fill them in for me.

UBC

Alberta

57 students admitted to the MScSLP (course-based) program

McGill

accepting only 27 students per year (accept about 10% of applicants)

Toronto

approximately 50 students to the MHSc program for the 2017-2018 academic year.

McMaster

Western ??

Dal

I was told there are about 23-24 in the year of someone I was talking to. That could be less than they accepted if someone dropped out or whatever.

3 hours ago, treaclemineroad said:

To inform the McGill stat: I think they aim for about 27 students in a class but we had 31 students back in the fall (... 29 now).

Hey treaclemineroad, is it common for students to drop out of the program? Did they realize the program wasn't for them, or was it more due to extenuating circumstances?

Congrats to everyone who was accepted!! I would kill to have to make a decision, but unfortunately I was rejected from McMaster and Western, and I'm still waiting to hear from the U of A. For those of you still waiting to hear from the U of A, I'm wondering if I should be contacting Admissions, or just wait for them lo let me know at their own time? The waiting and anxiety is killing me, but I don't want to be a pest either....I will say, I'm not super hopeful at this point, but knowing either way would just be nice.

Thanks everybody!

1 hour ago, SLP_SP said:

Congrats to everyone who was accepted!! I would kill to have to make a decision, but unfortunately I was rejected from McMaster and Western, and I'm still waiting to hear from the U of A. For those of you still waiting to hear from the U of A, I'm wondering if I should be contacting Admissions, or just wait for them lo let me know at their own time? The waiting and anxiety is killing me, but I don't want to be a pest either....I will say, I'm not super hopeful at this point, but knowing either way would just be nice.

Thanks everybody!

I'm in the exact same boat as you! Waiting to hear back from UofA... the anxiety is going to kill me.

My plan if I was rejected was to apply for special student status at the UofA to take courses & boost my GPA but the deadline to apply is soon approaching. That being said I emailed the department and asked when I would find out for the previously mentioned reason. I figured I'd be less pesky if I had a good reason for wanting to know my decision. I will keep you updated when I hear back from them! I'm on my last thin shred of hope...

21 hours ago, hopefulspeechie52 said:

In terms of Western, I called Janet Harmon, and she told me that the waitlist basically could stay open all summer long. 

21 hours ago, dxsh4 said:

Wondering the same question...

I was one of the first off the waitlist at Western after they found out acceptances/rejections from ORPAS and I found out May 16th last year 

1 hour ago, klfstudent said:

I was one of the first off the waitlist at Western after they found out acceptances/rejections from ORPAS and I found out May 16th last year 

Since the deadline to accept/reject the offer is by April 14, I would expect to hear about getting of the waitlist sooner than May 16. Also, how did you know you were one of the first off?

2 minutes ago, hopefulspeechie52 said:

Since the deadline to accept/reject the offer is by April 14, I would expect to hear about getting of the waitlist sooner than May 16. Also, how did you know you were one of the first off?

About a week before I got the offer I sent an email to Janet asking if they started taking people off the waitlist and she said they're still waiting on a report from ORPAS before going to the waitlist. 

Hi I am also applying to U of A and like others I haven't heard anything as of yet. And it also says "pending" on the portal.  At this point, I am not expecting more than a refusal letter. For those who did get in, would you mind sharing your stats with us.  My last 2 years I have around 3.75 and my pre-requisite GPA (not sure if they consider that) I have 3.85. My GRE score are really low though, I think that's what dampened my chances because I received AWA =82 percentile,  (149) 35% on quantitative component, and (145)  25% on verbal (I studied for only 3 weeks not best idea).

Thank you !

Edited by Waiting_for_something

41 minutes ago, Waiting_for_something said:

Hi I am also applying to U of A and like others I haven't heard anything as of yet. And it also says "pending" on the portal.  At this point, I am not accepting more than a refusal letter. For those who did get in, would you mind sharing your stats with us.  My last 2 years I have around 3.75 and my pre-requisite GPA (not sure if the consider that) I have 3.85. My GRE score are really low though, I think that's what dampened my chances because I received 82 percentile on written, 35% on math component, and 25% on verbal (I studied for only 3 weeks not best idea).

Thank you !

I have a course-based master's in linguistics from U of A (2014), so my situation is a little different, but I'm happy to share my stats with you. 

Unfortunately since U of A does not share exactly how they calculate GPA, I can only guess at what they might have come up with. My last 60 credits (including my master's is between 3.85-3.88), but I'm not sure whether they include grades from grad programs as I've heard that some schools do not. Without my master's, my last 60 credit GPA is 3.80-3.81. 

I do know that U of A does look at the prereq GPA separately. My prereq GPA is 3.96. My GRE scores were: 161 Verbal (88%ile) / 151 Quant (43%ile) / 4.0 Writing (58%ile).

At the time of my application I had been regularly volunteering for a year with ISTAR, the Centre for Autism Services, and CCI-LEX (a volunteer run ESL school). I have done no direct job shadowing, or even direct volunteering with SLPs really (except a tiny bit at ISTAR).

I had a strong letter of recommendation from my master's supervisor who is also an Adjunct Professor in the CSD department, and for the past 2 years I have worked healthcare research.

I honestly had no idea whether I would get admitted. I was hopeful, but I've heard that having a previous master's can sometimes be considered a disadvantage (suggests you're not focused or something). I think the "tastes" of the admissions committee change every year as the committee changes, so it's hard to predict exactly what they're looking for in a given year.

I know you're feeling hopeless at the moment, but last year I had a friend accepted to U of A off the waitlist in May, so you just never know.

Edited by theyaaz

On 4/3/2017 at 9:01 AM, treaclemineroad said:

To inform the McGill stat: I think they aim for about 27 students in a class but we had 31 students back in the fall (... 29 now).

Wow congrats on getting accepted in 3 universities, great job! I just wanted to ask what kind of stats do you have, what is your GPA and GRE result like

Thanks 

On 4/3/2017 at 4:59 PM, SLPwannabe! said:

I'm in the exact same boat as you! Waiting to hear back from UofA... the anxiety is going to kill me.

My plan if I was rejected was to apply for special student status at the UofA to take courses & boost my GPA but the deadline to apply is soon approaching. That being said I emailed the department and asked when I would find out for the previously mentioned reason. I figured I'd be less pesky if I had a good reason for wanting to know my decision. I will keep you updated when I hear back from them! I'm on my last thin shred of hope...

That's a good plan!! Have you heard anything back from them yet?!

1 hour ago, SLPlease? said:

I just received my official admission approval letter from the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research at UofA! The status on the application portal has only JUST changed from 'under review' to 'decision'.

Wow Congrats! I haven't received anything as of yet. Would you mind sharing what your GPA last 2 years was and your GRE , thanks

5 hours ago, SLPlease? said:

I just received my official admission approval letter from the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research at UofA! The status on the application portal has only JUST changed from 'under review' to 'decision'.

Hey, just out of curiosity, what day did you accept? Because I accepted a while ago and still it says 'pending'. I don't want to give up my spot in Dal until I get the official acceptance or something...

4 hours ago, Bananis said:

Hey, just out of curiosity, what day did you accept? Because I accepted a while ago and still it says 'pending'. I don't want to give up my spot in Dal until I get the official acceptance or something...

I emailed to accept the offer on March 27, and Vicki said that it can take a couple of weeks for FGSR to respond.

10 hours ago, Waiting_for_something said:

Wow Congrats! I haven't received anything as of yet. Would you mind sharing what your GPA last 2 years was and your GRE , thanks

My GPA over the past 2 years was 3.71. I had a human anatomy course that brought it down lower than I would have liked, but I managed to do pretty well in all of the pre-requisite courses that UofA needed. I honestly don't remember what my GRE scores were. I didn't really shine very brightly in any category (I unfortunately had pretty major eye surgery which really hindered my ability to study), but from what I recall I scored above average on the qualitative reasoning, about average on quantitative reasoning, and I think a 5 on the writing.

10 hours ago, SLPlease? said:

My GPA over the past 2 years was 3.71. I had a human anatomy course that brought it down lower than I would have liked, but I managed to do pretty well in all of the pre-requisite courses that UofA needed. I honestly don't remember what my GRE scores were. I didn't really shine very brightly in any category (I unfortunately had pretty major eye surgery which really hindered my ability to study), but from what I recall I scored above average on the qualitative reasoning, about average on quantitative reasoning, and I think a 5 on the writing.

Good to know thanks for the feedback. Good luck!