2017 Canadian Application Thread!

On 4/6/2017 at 3:44 PM, Bananis said:

Hey, just out of curiosity, what day did you accept? Because I accepted a while ago and still it says 'pending'. I don't want to give up my spot in Dal until I get the official acceptance or something...

Yeah! My McGill offer just expired, and I just e-mailed to accept my U of A offer on April 5th and haven't even heard an unofficial e-mail back to confirm that... just a taaad bit nerve wracking haha I'm sure it will be fine. They said the deadline is April 13 because she's on vacation?

37 minutes ago, DLB said:

Yeah! My McGill offer just expired, and I just e-mailed to accept my U of A offer on April 5th and haven't even heard an unofficial e-mail back to confirm that... just a taaad bit nerve wracking haha I'm sure it will be fine. They said the deadline is April 13 because she's on vacation?

Yes that's right. They extended the deadline beyond what it is normally. If you've emailed to accept the offer prior to that date I would imagine you have nothing to worry about!

Also, does anyone know how waiting lists for SLP programs work? Is there such a thing as a yield percentage they need to respect, i.e accepting more students than they think will actually enroll? Given how competitive these programs are though, I can't help but feel like the number of students accepted corresponds to the exact number of places available, and that they then go straight to the waiting list when someone declines an acceptance. What do you guys think? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by papillonbleu22

4 minutes ago, papillonbleu22 said:

Also, does anyone know how waiting lists for SLP programs work? Is there such a thing as a yield percentage they need to respect, i.e accepting more students than they think will actually enroll? Given how competitive these programs are though, I can't help but feel like the number of students accepted corresponds to the exact number of places available, and that they then go straight to the waiting list when someone declines an acceptance. What do you guys think? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know about all of the schools, but I feel pretty confident that U of A goes straight to the wait list when someone declines acceptance.

34 minutes ago, WestCoastSpeechie said:

To anyone who is accepted at UBC, have you gotten any sort of official acceptance email or anything? I got the call on March 31 and haven't heard anything since...beginning to think it was all a dream haha

@WestCoastSpeechie Did you reply Sue? My friends got the official acceptance letter after they called Sue to accept verbally (it did take some time tho).

1 minute ago, mizuro said:

@WestCoastSpeechie Did you reply Sue? My friends got the official acceptance letter after they called Sue to accept verbally (it did take some time tho).

She asked me over the phone if I would be accepting the offer and I said yes (it's the only school I applied for). We exchanged emails about a small issue with some transfer credits I had and she said she was happy I'd be joining the program in the Fall. Now just waiting to hear back from her about my transfer credits...

On 4/4/2017 at 10:09 PM, speechie2017 said:

Has anyone started a Facebook group for McMaster? /has anyone accepted their offer to McMaster? 

I'm currently trying to decide between McMaster and U of T. I haven't heard of many other people who got in/are considering McMaster as of yet. What are you doing to decide? 

6 hours ago, mdoh77 said:

I'm currently trying to decide between McMaster and U of T. I haven't heard of many other people who got in/are considering McMaster as of yet. What are you doing to decide? 

HI mdoh77, 

I am on the waiting list for McMaster so thats why I was wondering if anyone is accepting there offers to McMaster. I did not apply to U of T but it seems like most people are choosing other schools over McMaster. 

19 hours ago, speechie2017 said:

HI mdoh77, 

I am on the waiting list for McMaster so thats why I was wondering if anyone is accepting there offers to McMaster. I did not apply to U of T but it seems like most people are choosing other schools over McMaster. 

I was deciding between McGill and McMaster and it was a really hard choice. Ultimately, it came down to McGill being closer and a more affordable option for me (Quebec resident). I just declined McMaster this morning so hopefully that opens a spot for you or someone else waiting for good news!

Edited by Klamb

On 4/3/2017 at 2:14 PM, sweaterweather said:

Hey treaclemineroad, is it common for students to drop out of the program? Did they realize the program wasn't for them, or was it more due to extenuating circumstances?

Sorry for the delayed response, but just in case you're still wondering -- I don't know if it's common, since I'm dealing with a sample size of one class. They both left quite suddenly, so I didn't hear their rationale. Life comes up, I think. Hypothetically, I can see the program having a high potential to conflict with anything else that might come up. I mean, it's a grad program.

Someone also asked for my stats but since acceptance season is over, I doubt you still want them? PM me for them if I'm wrong.

Hi! I received an email last night from UBC saying I'm on the waitlist.

Can anyone who was accepted to UBC tell me what were the dates you had to accept the offer by? It will give me a better idea of what to expect.

13 hours ago, treaclemineroad said:

Sorry for the delayed response, but just in case you're still wondering -- I don't know if it's common, since I'm dealing with a sample size of one class. They both left quite suddenly, so I didn't hear their rationale. Life comes up, I think. Hypothetically, I can see the program having a high potential to conflict with anything else that might come up. I mean, it's a grad program.

Someone also asked for my stats but since acceptance season is over, I doubt you still want them? PM me for them if I'm wrong.

Yes,  if you can please provide the stats.  I don't think I'm getting in this year, but hopefully I can improve my application and apply next year.

Thank you

Hi guys! My name's Rina and I'm a first year SLP student at the U of A. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted to one of our wonderful Canadian speech pathology programs, and an ESPECIALLY big congrats to those of you who have been accepted to the U of A! The program is outstanding and if you decide to come here I guarantee that you will love it (I will make no such promises about the weather, however!). And if you're still waiting to hear, my fingers are crossed! :) 

I signed on here to invite all you future U of A speechies, or wannabe U of A speechies, out to a fundraising Comedy Night event that we're putting on in May. The event raises money for two great camps that the Faculty runs (in partnership with March of Dimes Canada) - Alberta Aphasia Camp and AAC Camp Alberta. I have set out all the info below in what is possibly the longest post to ever hit this forum. If you're interested in attending, please feel free to pop an email off to the address listed below. It should be a great opportunity to meet and mingle with some current students and profs!

On another note, happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the U of A, so please feel free to shoot them off to me in a PM. I really do mean it when I say the program is outstanding. That said, we're coming into finals so I might not get back to you right away, but if you're patient, I will do my best! 

**You're Invited**

The University of Alberta’s Speech Language Pathology Class of 2018 is very excited to invite you to Comedy Night 2017, in support of Alberta Aphasia Camp and AAC Camp Alberta, in partnership with March of Dimes Canada. This charity event combines the fun of stand-up comedy with the excitement of a silent auction and the opportunity to win an awesome door prize! And it’s all in support of two great causes - Alberta Aphasia Camp and AAC Camp Alberta provide individuals with communication disorders the opportunity to enjoy a weekend retreat that includes recreational and therapeutic activities.

**Details**

Event type: Comedy Night 2017 is a charity event that includes stand-up comedy and a silent auction. There will be a door prize!

Location: The Comic Strip at West Edmonton Mall. Food and drinks are available for purchase at the venue. The venue is 18+, so no children or minors are permitted to attend.

Date: May 11th, 2017, doors open @ 6:30 p.m.

Guest list: YOU... and us! Mingle with old and new friends in a relaxed atmosphere. Spouses, significant others, BFF’s… everyone (18+) is welcome!

**Tickets**

Cost: Your $25 ticket includes admission, entry into the draw for a fantastic door prize, and all the fun you can handle! 100% of ticket sales support Alberta Aphasia Camp and AAC Camp Alberta.

How can I get tickets? Please contact Angela or Rina at OASISComedy2017@gmail.com for tickets. Payment can be made with cash or cheque.

18 hours ago, slp_wannabe said:

Hi! I received an email last night from UBC saying I'm on the waitlist.

Can anyone who was accepted to UBC tell me what were the dates you had to accept the offer by? It will give me a better idea of what to expect.

Congrats, you're one step closer!! I accepted my offer to UBC on Wednesday, the letter said the due date to accept is today (the 14th). Hopefully that means you'll have some answers really soon! My fingers are crossed for you :)

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 8:52 PM, Remo_SLP said:

Hi guys! My name's Rina and I'm a first year SLP student at the U of A. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted to one of our wonderful Canadian speech pathology programs, and an ESPECIALLY big congrats to those of you who have been accepted to the U of A! The program is outstanding and if you decide to come here I guarantee that you will love it (I will make no such promises about the weather, however!). And if you're still waiting to hear, my fingers are crossed! :) 

I signed on here to invite all you future U of A speechies, or wannabe U of A speechies, out to a fundraising Comedy Night event that we're putting on in May. The event raises money for two great camps that the Faculty runs (in partnership with March of Dimes Canada) - Alberta Aphasia Camp and AAC Camp Alberta. I have set out all the info below in what is possibly the longest post to ever hit this forum. If you're interested in attending, please feel free to pop an email off to the address listed below. It should be a great opportunity to meet and mingle with some current students and profs!

On another note, happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the U of A, so please feel free to shoot them off to me in a PM. I really do mean it when I say the program is outstanding. That said, we're coming into finals so I might not get back to you right away, but if you're patient, I will do my best! 

**You're Invited**

The University of Alberta’s Speech Language Pathology Class of 2018 is very excited to invite you to Comedy Night 2017, in support of Alberta Aphasia Camp and AAC Camp Alberta, in partnership with March of Dimes Canada. This charity event combines the fun of stand-up comedy with the excitement of a silent auction and the opportunity to win an awesome door prize! And it’s all in support of two great causes - Alberta Aphasia Camp and AAC Camp Alberta provide individuals with communication disorders the opportunity to enjoy a weekend retreat that includes recreational and therapeutic activities.

**Details**

Event type: Comedy Night 2017 is a charity event that includes stand-up comedy and a silent auction. There will be a door prize!

Location: The Comic Strip at West Edmonton Mall. Food and drinks are available for purchase at the venue. The venue is 18+, so no children or minors are permitted to attend.

Date: May 11th, 2017, doors open @ 6:30 p.m.

Guest list: YOU... and us! Mingle with old and new friends in a relaxed atmosphere. Spouses, significant others, BFF’s… everyone (18+) is welcome!

**Tickets**

Cost: Your $25 ticket includes admission, entry into the draw for a fantastic door prize, and all the fun you can handle! 100% of ticket sales support Alberta Aphasia Camp and AAC Camp Alberta.

How can I get tickets? Please contact Angela or Rina at OASISComedy2017@gmail.com for tickets. Payment can be made with cash or cheque.

Unfortunately I won't have made my move to Edmonton in time for this event. It's cool that this kind of fundraising goes on though!

Hi guys!

I'm applying next year (for Fall 2018). I know it's quite early, but since this summer I will be preparing my files, I would like to get a bit of advice for those who have been through this hard process!

I am currently a McGill student, with a 3.75 GPA (however subGPA will probably be in the 3.85 area), and have about 2 years of laboratory experience; 1 where I volunteered for 5 months, SLP related laboratory, and the other where I have volunteered since the beginning of my undergrad (non SLP related). I have also had experiences with different needs children, working in two specialized summer camps. I am hoping to also complete a 6 month thesis course to somehow brighten up my CV with a McGill prof (however I was wondering if the thesis is not SLP or linguistics related, would that disadvantage my application?). I've also wanted to volunteer at an SLP clinic, however I am not sure whether it will be one - on - one working with an SLP (which is required for all Ontario universities). I have worked with an SLP for 14 hours (the minimum), but have had an extremely hard time finding an English SLP, since I live in Quebec. I will also be taking the GRE exam (for Dalhousie and UofAlberta). I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how I could imporve my chances?

I also wanted to apply to UofT, but they seem to have somewhat changed their pre-reqs classes. It says 'research methods', however prior to that they would have accepted statistics I (McGill), however now, they no longer accept that class, and additionally, the classes that they do accept, no longer exist in McGill! Is there a way that they would still accept statistics I or?

Additionally, I received two equivalency approvals from another university (that my class that I took is equivalent to their classes), however the McGill classes are not listed as a pre-reqs at UofT and Western - would it be okay if I simply provide the equivalency letters that McGill has provided or should I also get an equivalency check through my desired SLP universities?

Congrats on those who got accepted and for those who didn't, there is always next year :)

Thank you :)