Fall 2017 Applicants

fbuggey93

8 hours ago, Amanda87 said:

Has anyone else been planning out when to call regarding application status if you don't hear soon? .... Does that seem to early? I think I should hear this month, but I kind of want to have a game plan ready, especially if BC only gives 3 weeks to respond. 

I have heard that some people get into contact with their top school about admission when a backup gives them a time crunch to respond...seems like it's hit or miss with whether that gets them a faster answer.

I have to wait to hear back until March, and regardless I am still checking the sites every other day *just in case*. 

Excited for you with Boston, Amanda! I almost applied there as well, but decided it was just too expensive with tuition and cost of living. It seems like an absolutely wonderful place to live though! I kind of regret not going for it, but then maybe eventually I'll end up in Boston anyways. 

38 minutes ago, KaylaJay said:

I have heard that some people get into contact with their top school about admission when a backup gives them a time crunch to respond...seems like it's hit or miss with whether that gets them a faster answer.

I have to wait to hear back until March, and regardless I am still checking the sites every other day *just in case*. 

Excited for you with Boston, Amanda! I almost applied there as well, but decided it was just too expensive with tuition and cost of living. It seems like an absolutely wonderful place to live though! I kind of regret not going for it, but then maybe eventually I'll end up in Boston anyways. 

Thank you! I'd have to get a lot of money to be able to afford BC, but I feel pretty confident I should get into SSU. Students at SSU still can have their field placements in Boston though. I hope we all hear soon!

So Simmons pulled the same "an admissions decision has been made and mailed to you" with me yesterday, but sent me an invite to an accepted students thing today, so I got in! Re: peeps who are moving to Boston from other places: suburbs are your friends, but you can still be expecting to pay at least $1300/mo for a one bedroom, utilities may or may not be included. Pretty much everywhere at least has a bus that will get you to the T and most colleges in Boston are close to the train or have bus stops, and most schools can get you discount monthly passes (usually like 12% off but better than nothing). Further out you have the commuter rail which is expensive as heckie. So essentially, find something in suburbs or expect to be sharing a house with like 3-4 other roommates. 

Congratulations to everyone who has received offers! I am waiting to hear back from Portland State for the 2 year MSW program. I will be relocating to Portland with my husband so I only applied to this one program. I've joined this forum for moral support while waiting for the admissions decision. I'm wondering if anyone has any inside information about the timeline for this? The website says that they will begin notifying applicants in April. I checked the results from last year and it looked like some folks were admitted/rejected as early as February while others were admitted/rejected in April. What's up with that? Do you think they might roll out some decisions before April or no?

15 hours ago, Jessicagroupwork said:

Congratulations to everyone who has received offers! I am waiting to hear back from Portland State for the 2 year MSW program. I will be relocating to Portland with my husband so I only applied to this one program. I've joined this forum for moral support while waiting for the admissions decision. I'm wondering if anyone has any inside information about the timeline for this? The website says that they will begin notifying applicants in April. I checked the results from last year and it looked like some folks were admitted/rejected as early as February while others were admitted/rejected in April. What's up with that? Do you think they might roll out some decisions before April or no?

I've been looking at the past few years for guidance of when decisions will come in too. I think that's the only thing you can go on other than just waiting, which is terrible. Im trying to keep in mind that no news is good news until you know it isn't...I don't know if that helps. I'm really anxious about hearing from BC and seeing that other people has already heard is making me on edge. Mondays always do give me a little hope though because I imagine committees might meet on weekends. Hang in there!!

1 hour ago, Amanda87 said:

I've been looking at the past few years for guidance of when decisions will come in too. I think that's the only thing you can go on other than just waiting, which is terrible. Im trying to keep in mind that no news is good news until you know it isn't...I don't know if that helps. I'm really anxious about hearing from BC and seeing that other people has already heard is making me on edge. Mondays always do give me a little hope though because I imagine committees might meet on weekends. Hang in there!!

You're right, waiting is terrible and no news is good news until you know. And anxiety is bad news! I too have hope for tomorrow because it's Monday but I also know that I really might have to wait until April.

I checked my portal last night at 8:45 pm and had been accepted to UT Austin! An email came through around 10:30pm telling me to check my portal. And then another official one from the Director of Admissions this morning! My application was marked complete on January 4th and in review with the Graduate committee since January 18th. They gave me until March 9th to decide! Good luck everyone! 

1 hour ago, Mhinsh said:

I checked my portal last night at 8:45 pm and had been accepted to UT Austin! An email came through around 10:30pm telling me to check my portal. And then another official one from the Director of Admissions this morning! My application was marked complete on January 4th and in review with the Graduate committee since January 18th. They gave me until March 9th to decide! Good luck everyone! 

Congrats!!

On Wed Jan 11 2017 at 7:47 AM, 12sliders said:

Hi all,

I too am in the process of applying for the fall of 2017 MSW programs. I am applying to Hunter, Fordham, NYU, Columbia and possibly Adelphi and Stonybrook.

Good luck to everyone!!

Hi there, 

Have you heard from any of the schools? I applied to the same schools as you. So far, I heard from Fordham and was accepted. Let me know. Thanks

8 hours ago, Gee_ said:

Hi there, 

Have you heard from any of the schools? I applied to the same schools as you. So far, I heard from Fordham and was accepted. Let me know. Thanks

Hi!

I've only heard back from Fordham thus far and was accepted too. Congrats on your acceptance!!

This might be a moot point since I'm still waiting for Boston College's financial aid info to come through, but Boston's cost of living is freaking me out a little. The studio apartments seem crazy expensive (from a CT standpoint) and having roommates only knocks it down about 200 bucks or so.  Plus, I'm bringing a dog, so I don't even know if roommates would be feasible in that situation.

34 minutes ago, alisham said:

This might be a moot point since I'm still waiting for Boston College's financial aid info to come through, but Boston's cost of living is freaking me out a little. The studio apartments seem crazy expensive (from a CT standpoint) and having roommates only knocks it down about 200 bucks or so.  Plus, I'm bringing a dog, so I don't even know if roommates would be feasible in that situation.

I grew up (and currently live in) Western Mass, but I lived in Boston for my first year of undergrad- it's SO expensive! It's the reason I didn't stay there, despite the city being so great. 

12 hours ago, bquinn said:

I grew up (and currently live in) Western Mass, but I lived in Boston for my first year of undergrad- it's SO expensive! It's the reason I didn't stay there, despite the city being so great. 

Do you think Salem is a better cost of living? From everything I can tell, it would be. 

12 hours ago, alisham said:

I'm wrestling with the same thing, though I haven't heard from BC yet. I've already set a pretty high minimum award I'd have to get from them to consider going there. Basically, it would have to lower the cost to below Salem State, plus some extra because I know the cost of living would be more in the city vs in Salem. I honestly think my chances are very slim of getting the amount of money I would need to go to BC, which I'm fine with because honestly SSU was a close second for me. I don't know what I'll do though if I don't even hear from BC in the next two weeks, since I only have 3 weeks to respond to SSU. 

2 hours ago, Amanda87 said:

I'm wrestling with the same thing, though I haven't heard from BC yet. I've already set a pretty high minimum award I'd have to get from them to consider going there. Basically, it would have to lower the cost to below Salem State, plus some extra because I know the cost of living would be more in the city vs in Salem. I honestly think my chances are very slim of getting the amount of money I would need to go to BC, which I'm fine with because honestly SSU was a close second for me. I don't know what I'll do though if I don't even hear from BC in the next two weeks, since I only have 3 weeks to respond to SSU. 

BC would basically have to cover most of my tuition with scholarships and work study for me to able to afford it.  I would then have to take out loans for living expenses, at least until I can find a part-time job. I've been looking into graduate assistantships and I read in one of the MSW handbooks that the school of social work tends to only give them out to second year students.

Honestly, I won't be too bummed if I can't make BC work since I researched all of the schools I applied to extensively and both like and can see myself in any of them.  So, at this point, I'm going with whatever school is cheapest.

6 minutes ago, alisham said:

BC would basically have to cover most of my tuition with scholarships and work study for me to able to afford it.  I would then have to take out loans for living expenses, at least until I can find a part-time job. I've been looking into graduate assistantships and I read in one of the MSW handbooks that the school of social work tends to only give them out to second year students.

Honestly, I won't be too bummed if I can't make BC work since I researched all of the schools I applied to extensively and both like and can see myself in any of them.  So, at this point, I'm going with whatever school is cheapest.

That's basically where I'm at too. I've decided I would have to get a 75% tuition scholarship to consider attending BC. This is of course assuming I'm accepted since I haven't heard yet. The BC assistantships also only provide $4,000 tuition remission (I think that's accurate, it's pretty low) and a small stipend, so even if I was able to get one that wouldn't help very much. I'm just anxious to hear from them and be able to make my decision and start to plan for moving and field placements. 

As far as BC vs SSU goes, I know I'd be happy at either. From what I've read on here from previous years and some other forums, SSU students are placed at many of the same organizations as BC students. The one major downside is that SSU doesn't offer a trauma certificate. 

On 10/9/2016 at 4:09 PM, Racket said:

I'm in NYC! I'm just looking at NYU and Hunter. I'm mostly focusing on Hunter, I think, because they are way cheaper. NYU seems so nice, though! Good luck. 

Hunter has one of the best programs in the country, in my opinion.  I got my MSW at NYU and although it was a great program, I regret not going to Hunter.  I got my BA and my MSED from Hunter, so I really like the school.  It's very smart to go to Hunter.  In my opinion, it's a better program than either NYU or Columbia. Not enough people realize that.