Fall 2017 Applicants

fbuggey93

Just want to reiterate that this waiting is giving me tremendous anxiety. UConn spoiled me with a less than two week wait for a decision and now I keep thinking the other schools I applied to will be just as fast.

11 minutes ago, alisham said:

Just want to reiterate that this waiting is giving me tremendous anxiety. UConn spoiled me with a less than two week wait for a decision and now I keep thinking the other schools I applied to will be just as fast.

Me too!! I'm SO anxious. I got my acceptance to my backup school this week, which I am extremely happy about, but now I'm so anxious. I know now at least I'll be going somewhere and I'll be relocating to Boston, but I really want to go to one of the other schools more. What are you doing to try to keep yourself occupied? I've been planning my move and when I'm going to give notice at work, now that I know I'm moving for sure. That's helped some. It's also helpful to see that not many people have heard from my other two schools yet. 

3 minutes ago, Amanda87 said:

Me too!! I'm SO anxious. I got my acceptance to my backup school this week, which I am extremely happy about, but now I'm so anxious. I know now at least I'll be going somewhere and I'll be relocating to Boston, but I really want to go to one of the other schools more. What are you doing to try to keep yourself occupied? I've been planning my move and when I'm going to give notice at work, now that I know I'm moving for sure. That's helped some. It's also helpful to see that not many people have heard from my other two schools yet. 

I've applied to four schools which all would be a great fit for me, so I have no backup schools since I'd be happy to attend any one of their programs.  I got accepted into my in-state school, which is great, and will probably be the cheapest option (they actually offer need-based grants at a graduate level, but I won't know if I received one until after the acceptance deadline) unless I get a graduate assistantship at one of the other schools.  I can't plan my move since they're all in different areas, so I've been keeping busy by applying to jobs that I won't mind leaving in August and surfing the grad life topics in this forum.  I think I need to step away from my computer in order to be fully distracted.  Plus, it's Friday, so the chances of hearing anything before Monday are slim.

15 minutes ago, alisham said:

I've applied to four schools which all would be a great fit for me, so I have no backup schools since I'd be happy to attend any one of their programs.  I got accepted into my in-state school, which is great, and will probably be the cheapest option (they actually offer need-based grants at a graduate level, but I won't know if I received one until after the acceptance deadline) unless I get a graduate assistantship at one of the other schools.  I can't plan my move since they're all in different areas, so I've been keeping busy by applying to jobs that I won't mind leaving in August and surfing the grad life topics in this forum.  I think I need to step away from my computer in order to be fully distracted.  Plus, it's Friday, so the chances of hearing anything before Monday are slim.

Yeah, definitely. I see we've both applied to BC! That's my number one, but I'd have to get a lot of scholarship money or an assistantship to be able to afford it. I really want to live in Boston after visiting schools in the area and visiting the city. I've been planning this for two years and the closer it gets, the harder it is to wait it seems. 

21 minutes ago, Amanda87 said:

Yeah, definitely. I see we've both applied to BC! That's my number one, but I'd have to get a lot of scholarship money or an assistantship to be able to afford it. I really want to live in Boston after visiting schools in the area and visiting the city. I've been planning this for two years and the closer it gets, the harder it is to wait it seems. 

Same. I would love to go to Boston College, but it would have to be an amazing financial aid package for it to be feasible for me.  Once I get decisions from other schools, I'm going start visiting campuses.  Maybe seeing the campuses in person will help me decide.  I'm surprised Salem State hasn't sent out anything yet. I remember them having one of the earliest application deadlines.  The least they could do is let their applicants know early to justify that deadline.

1 hour ago, alisham said:

Same. I would love to go to Boston College, but it would have to be an amazing financial aid package for it to be feasible for me.  Once I get decisions from other schools, I'm going start visiting campuses.  Maybe seeing the campuses in person will help me decide.  I'm surprised Salem State hasn't sent out anything yet. I remember them having one of the earliest application deadlines.  The least they could do is let their applicants know early to justify that deadline.

Yeah! I applied to SSU on Halloween because they waived the app fee in October...but my last LOR wasn't in until January 2. Hopefully we'll hear something this week. I looked through acceptances from the past few years for those two schools and a lot came out the first couple weeks in February. 

Who is ready for another week of checking the admissions portals every 10 minutes?

For those who have received a decision, how long after your application status updated from 'submitted' to 'completed' did you wait until you received a decision? I am curious, is the timeline the same for everyone or is there truly no way to predict?  

10 hours ago, green_dots21 said:

Has anyone heard about funding at UMichigan? I was accepted before Christmas and my FAFSA was accepted around that time. Haven't heard anything yet :/

I was accepted at UMich before Christmas as well, and I received an email with my merit-based financial aid offer last week (1/25). I also directly contacted the financial aid office and they were able to tell me the direct loan amount I would be offered. Still waiting to hear back from my special program, but I've been told they'll notify by 2/15.

So I would assume you'll hear back soon too!

7 hours ago, hanndema said:

I was accepted at UMich before Christmas as well, and I received an email with my merit-based financial aid offer last week (1/25). I also directly contacted the financial aid office and they were able to tell me the direct loan amount I would be offered. Still waiting to hear back from my special program, but I've been told they'll notify by 2/15.

So I would assume you'll hear back soon too!

Thanks! I hope to hear soon so I can make my decision before March. 

Has anyone else been planning out when to call regarding application status if you don't hear soon? Both the schools I'm waiting on said I should hear within 6 weeks, and for both 6 weeks would be February 28 (I'm counting from when the semesters started since my last letter of recommendation was sent in during the winter break). Does that seem to early? I think I should hear this month, but I kind of want to have a game plan ready, especially if BC only gives 3 weeks to respond. 

2 hours ago, green_dots21 said:

Anyone else apply for a GSSA position or special program at Michigan?

I emailed my applications yesterday. Super nervous to hear back!

I submitted my special program application with my actual application, and I emailed them to ask when decisions would be made and they said "there is no timeline" so that's a bummer! I submitted my GSSA apps late last week, I am hoping they are quicker with their response! Apparently they will request interviews mid-February, which seems like forever away!! 

This whole process if forcing me to work on my patience!!