Answers and Celebrations

JohnBom

That we're in the running for the second round of admissions, but somehow manage to annoy ourselves out of it? haha..seriously, I'll probably wait until the end of the week before emailing a faculty member. Even rejection emails shouldn't take longer than that if the acceptances are already out, I think.

Do the decision waves happen once a week? Now that I haven't heard from two of my schools after seeing people put up results, should I be able to assume that I won't hear anything for a few days?

Do the decision waves happen once a week? Now that I haven't heard from two of my schools after seeing people put up results, should I be able to assume that I won't hear anything for a few days?

I don't think anybody will be able to give you a good answer to this. The decisions are usually made by committees of faculty members and all departments have their quirks. The general rule of thumb is probably no news = more likely bad news, but miracles are never impossible. For instance Wisconsin went out in two waves, although they were only a day apart. But really, who knows. One day I would like to understand this power game.

hi all!

i have been lurking for quite some time now on this forum, and this is the first time i am posting. i just wanted to let you know that i have been offered admission at university of Pennsylvania a week ago with guaranteed five years of full funding. there are no details yet about the financial arrangement - they said a letter from the dean is on the way spelling out all the details. btw, i am an international applicant in case anybody is interested.

good luck!

hi all!

i have been lurking for quite some time now on this forum, and this is the first time i am posting. i just wanted to let you know that i have been offered admission at university of Pennsylvania a week ago with guaranteed five years of full funding. there are no details yet about the financial arrangement - they said a letter from the dean is on the way spelling out all the details. btw, i am an international applicant in case anybody is interested.

good luck!

So you exist! Great:) And congrats. That's an amazing department.

On a different note - just got my acceptance from Emory! It makes me feel a little better about the morning rejection from UCLA. I thought it was a perfect fit, but a professor told me they couldn't find funding. Oh well. I am still waiting, but breathing much more easily. Keeping my fingers crossed for you all.

On a different note - just got my acceptance from Emory! It makes me feel a little better about the morning rejection from UCLA. I thought it was a perfect fit, but a professor told me they couldn't find funding. Oh well. I am still waiting, but breathing much more easily. Keeping my fingers crossed for you all.

I just got my acceptance into Emory too!! :) I'll message you to find out who you are, haha.

Yay! Congrats, Astronautka!

Wow, congratulations!! I really like Harvard's sociology program too!

Any idea of cohort size and if they're still accepting?

Thanks everyone for the congrats!

Taiwanadian - Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I received the visit and funding details, but not cohort size. I didn't ask merely because I know the general cohort size. I have no idea where they are in making calls. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck!!

I'm one of them. Super excited and fortunate!

Thanks for the congrats:-)

Another one here. I'm in shock!

EdPolicy - How'd you get the info that there were 2 acceptances? I'm not sure if I'm one of those you were referring to specifically, but I got a call from the dept today. Due to time differences, the call came in the wee hours of the morning where I live. Definitely not a prank call though!

Question for the UCLA admits: has anyone else received a call from any faculty memebers from UCLA? I got a call from a faculty member today. A standard chat really, asking if I had any questions about the department, that they'd love to have me, keep it touch, etc. Hopefully this is a good sign! :)

Another one here. I'm in shock!

EdPolicy - How'd you get the info that there were 2 acceptances? I'm not sure if I'm one of those you were referring to specifically, but I got a call from the dept today. Due to time differences, the call came in the wee hours of the morning where I live. Definitely not a prank call though!

Deckard - I think EdPolicy meant that there were two acceptances posted on the results page.

I am in at Iowa. Presidential Fellowship nomination and five year funding.

I would still consider Washington or Indiana if I get in, but Iowa was definitely a top choice

Wonderful! Congratulations!

I am sure the wait for other results will get a lot easier now.

I would still consider Washington or Indiana if I get in, but Iowa was definitely a top choice

Wonderful...good for you! An acceptance does wonders for our mental wellbeing when waiting for other results...

Great!! CONGRATULATIONS!! You must feel wonderful.

Are you interested in doing soc psych work?