parsneezy

6 hours ago, parsneezy said:

So I just got a verbal acceptance to UNC!! Paperwork is pending but I spoke with a professor and have been offered a fellowship. I can't believe it and am completely in shock!! I honestly almost did not apply because I assumed I would not get in.

1 hour ago, Ggsk said:

Hi good to hear that. Congratulations! :) v happy for u. I got an interview with unc too. Hope it turns out well. 

If I get in, we would be classmates. Haha

CONGRATULATIONS you too! About time we hear some good news. XD

On 1/18/2017 at 6:43 AM, parsneezy said:

Congratulations on your interview!! That's great news!! Let us know how it goes :)

When will they make the offer? Was the financial package good? haha if you willing to let us know 

1 hour ago, academicbirb said:

Anyone heard anything from BC? Either the combo MSW/PhD or just the PhD since we're all in the same pool? 

sorry @academicbirb i didnt apply to BC. I dont know anything about it.  Essentially for Phd applications, we dont have many people sharing in this forum. Hope other applicants who see this thread will share their applications. what they apply for? their profile? any status updates? etc 

Hi all. I'm anxiously waiting over here. I applied to Berkeley, university of Chicago, and UCLA. I had an interview with Berkeley the last week in December and haven't heard anything back yet. Haven't heard anything at all from the other schools and am not sure if they do interviews or not. Does anyone know? 

Hi @Tuck1 Congratulations; I'm glad you did an interview with Berkeley! Can I ask if it's an in-person interview? I also applied but didn't hear anything after I submitted the application. I guess I might not be selected for admission....

20 hours ago, Ggsk said:

When will they make the offer? Was the financial package good? haha if you willing to let us know 

The financial package seems on par with what you would get at many other schools but it will be for three years, which I'm excited about! I'm just waiting on official paperwork at this point. 

6 hours ago, mccwjxz said:

Hi @Tuck1 Congratulations; I'm glad you did an interview with Berkeley! Can I ask if it's an in-person interview? I also applied but didn't hear anything after I submitted the application. I guess I might not be selected for admission....

It was a Skype interview with a professor that I reached out to last semester regarding working with her. However, She was on leave so wasn't able to speak prior to, so I'm not sure if that is normally how their process goes. From what she said you have to have at least two professors to tell the admissions committee they want to work with you but even then you aren't guaranteed a spot. It depends on the type of research you plan on doing and what the school is looking to do for the next few years. I don't really have my hopes up at all after hearing all that. But it did make me wonder if all the other programs extended interviews as their second phase. I had already spoken to the professors I wanted to work with prior to applying so didn't know if it was a different process. It's very nerve racking though hearing nothing at all for two months. I need March to get here so I can plan my life either way. 

11 hours ago, parsneezy said:

The financial package seems on par with what you would get at many other schools but it will be for three years, which I'm excited about! I'm just waiting on official paperwork at this point. 

Unless u intend to finish in three years, u prob have to find sources for the remaining years. Anyway, I am excited that u are excited. UNC's program is really interesting. I have looked at the details of the modules and I really love the focus on social interventions.

And u thought u had no chance for unc haha

9 hours ago, Tuck1 said:

It was a Skype interview with a professor that I reached out to last semester regarding working with her. However, She was on leave so wasn't able to speak prior to, so I'm not sure if that is normally how their process goes. From what she said you have to have at least two professors to tell the admissions committee they want to work with you but even then you aren't guaranteed a spot. It depends on the type of research you plan on doing and what the school is looking to do for the next few years. I don't really have my hopes up at all after hearing all that. But it did make me wonder if all the other programs extended interviews as their second phase. I had already spoken to the professors I wanted to work with prior to applying so didn't know if it was a different process. It's very nerve racking though hearing nothing at all for two months. I need March to get here so I can plan my life either way. 

Processes vary from what i have researched. Some of the programs do not require applicants to contact the professors - so for all my applications i did not. Some applicants get accepted without interviews. 

Yes, the waiting for an answer pretty much holds up everything in our lives... sigh totally can understand how you feel

55 minutes ago, Ggsk said:

Processes vary from what i have researched. Some of the programs do not require applicants to contact the professors - so for all my applications i did not. Some applicants get accepted without interviews. 

Yes, the waiting for an answer pretty much holds up everything in our lives... sigh totally can understand how you feel

People in my office keep counting down the weeks for me... So when I finally get distracted with something else they ruin it hahha 

On 1/19/2017 at 9:50 PM, Tuck1 said:

That's great; I think you may have a big chance to get in. I didn't apply to the other two you mentioned, but I guess some programs do not require uniform interviews. Also, you've talked to professors before the submission, I think you wouldn't worry too much about it. We may start hearing back after next week I guess...

On 1/16/2017 at 0:14 PM, flowerthor said:

Man, seems like February it is then. Good luck everyone.

On 1/15/2017 at 9:00 PM, Ggsk said:

Found this in last year's application round 

University of Southern California: Applicants were invited for in-person interviews between Feb 4th and Feb 21st. Most were contacted early Feb.

Boston College: Applicants were invited to attend a Skype or phone interview as early as Jan 9th and as late as Feb 12th, and notified of their acceptance Feb 13th-Feb 22nd.

University of Michigan (Joint PhD and Social Science/Social Work PhD): Applicants were accepted Feb 15th-21st

University of Chicago (AM/PhD): Applicants were accepted Feb 7th-Feb 13th

University of Wisconsin-Madison: Applicants were accepted Jan 24th-Jan 31st, but data was sparse (only 2 results were found)

Anyone applying to these schools? 

Found another one in 2016 applicants

Hi guys,

Here are some data that I collected from the past (applicants' self report. Date source: thegradcafe) or was told by the schools.

For UPenn, they usually send out the letters between late February to mid March. 

For UChicago, they usually send out the letters in February (acceptance or rejection), but if applicants do not receive the rejection letter or admission letter from the school, it could be that the applicants are on the waitlist, and the decision will be made in April.

For UKansas, applicants will be notified in the late February.

For UMN-Twin Cities, applicants who met the first deadline will be notified in the late January and early February (I was notified by the school several days ago, but still no sure what the financial package will be)

For UNC at Chapel Hill, some applicants have already received the admission for the Fall 2016 in the late January. However, I have not heard anything from the school yet. According to the past, the school sent out the letters in march.

For Boston University, applicants will be notified by the school no later than March 24. Usually, the school sends out the letters in the late February.

Anyway, finger crossed. 

Hey y'all! I applied to University of Chicago and University of Washington for Social Work and U of Arizona, U of Minnesota (twin cities), and U of Texas (austin) for HDFS. I have received responses from 2 of the HDFS programs but nothing from either Social Work program!

UW applicants might find this interesting: I called UW today and asked about admissions and they said that decisions will be made by early February and there will be a visit weekend for admitted students the second week of March. 

The waiting is killlllllllling me. I have great references, grades, experience, and pubs, but my GRE math score was ... not great. So nervous. Anyone else heard anything new?

I still haven't heard anything from schools but it appears that everyone will know within the first two weeks of February. So another two and a half weeks. I have no publications so that's the aspect that I'm worried about in regards to my applications. I hear GRE does not matter that much and it sounds like a lot of folks that took the test this year didn't do so well on the math. The averages for people taking the test next year will be easier to get a higher percentile... We really helped to set them up haha  Anyone have any good tips for staying distracted? I think doing my taxes will help... Waiting for the return is always nice. 

14 hours ago, darthsarah42 said:

Hey y'all! I applied to University of Chicago and University of Washington for Social Work and U of Arizona, U of Minnesota (twin cities), and U of Texas (austin) for HDFS. I have received responses from 2 of the HDFS programs but nothing from either Social Work program!

UW applicants might find this interesting: I called UW today and asked about admissions and they said that decisions will be made by early February and there will be a visit weekend for admitted students the second week of March. 

The waiting is killlllllllling me. I have great references, grades, experience, and pubs, but my GRE math score was ... not great. So nervous. Anyone else heard anything new?

I wanted to apply for UW but when i saw they needed four referrence letters, I decided not to haha. Moreover , they didnt  have any faculty members with close research interests. I think their application essay was quite tough too.

Good for you that you have good qualifications for the application. You should stand a good chance of getting in then! :)  Chicago is a good school "Define problems and shape solution" (i still remember the quote) - i also applied for it. 

There are no HDFS studies in my country and I definitely cannot be a SW prof with a HDFS phd. 

1 hour ago, Tuck1 said:

I still haven't heard anything from schools but it appears that everyone will know within the first two weeks of February. So another two and a half weeks. I have no publications so that's the aspect that I'm worried about in regards to my applications. I hear GRE does not matter that much and it sounds like a lot of folks that took the test this year didn't do so well on the math. The averages for people taking the test next year will be easier to get a higher percentile... We really helped to set them up haha  Anyone have any good tips for staying distracted? I think doing my taxes will help... Waiting for the return is always nice. 

haha maybe it was that one same quantitative test that was extremely tough that screwed everyone up. For my verbal, I was quite fortunate to have one passage from my first attempt reappeared in my second attempt, though I think I still got it it wrong the second time. 

yeah I think all the actions will come in feb... well it is only two weeks more = 14 days = 336hrs. haha

10 hours ago, HopefulSWKPhDstudent said:

I have applied to two PhD programs for Social Work at UNC Chapel Hill and the University of South Carolina... with the acceptance already from chapel hill I'm assuming they have already chosen their applicants ?

Did you apply before 13th Dec or 10th Jan? 

5 hours ago, Ggsk said:

haha maybe it was that one same quantitative test that was extremely tough that screwed everyone up. For my verbal, I was quite fortunate to have one passage from my first attempt reappeared in my second attempt, though I think I still got it it wrong the second time. 

yeah I think all the actions will come in feb... well it is only two weeks more = 14 days = 336hrs. haha

Hahahha! It shouldn't seem as far away as it actually is. University of Chicago was a tough application but UCLA was the worst for me because they only allowed two pages for your personal statement. It was so hard for me to try to impress them With such limitations hahaha

8 hours ago, Tuck1 said:

You know how I keep myself "kind of" distracted? I go read about the recent acceptances/denial on the grad cafe (search 'GRADCAFE ACCEPTANCES'  on Google search and it'll take you directly there). Something about reading that other students have gotten accepted to other PhD programs makes me happy/excited. I also learned from searching "social work" on there and looking at Fall 2016 PhD social work acceptances, that some programs don't notify until March/April. So I've accepted the fact that I may not know until April ? good luck ? everyone. 

Looks like someone has heard back from the WashU/WUSTL admissions team this morning. I certainly applied there and haven't heard a word. I applied to three different types of programs and the Social Work/Social Welfare PhD programs are definitely taking the longest to get back to us. Yes, I know, February will be revealing. I'm tired of waiting. 

Alright y'all February is upon us tomorrow! I feel like I need to leave my phone at home just so I can get work done and not constantly check my email the next two weeks. Good luck to everyone! Not to bring in bad vibes but I was wondering if people don't get in if they will apply next year. I thought about that as my back up plan but wasn't sure. If they reject you once do you give up? 

2 hours ago, Tuck1 said:

Alright y'all February is upon us tomorrow! I feel like I need to leave my phone at home just so I can get work done and not constantly check my email the next two weeks. Good luck to everyone! Not to bring in bad vibes but I was wondering if people don't get in if they will apply next year. I thought about that as my back up plan but wasn't sure. If they reject you once do you give up? 

I think that's a great plan, and not necessarily a back up one. If you don't get accepted this time around, and if these programs are right for you (align with your overarching interests and goals), then applying again is probably in your best interest. Applicant pools change every year. The people you're up against this year won't necessarily be the people you're up against next year, possibly increasing your chances (along with padding your resume over the next year). And if a PhD is required for what you want to do eventually, then it's also in your best interest to invest another year into this process, grueling as it is.

I applied to 3 programs last year in psychology. I received two interviews that turned into two waitlists out of the three schools I applied to. I did not get accepted to any -> this gave me time to really probe my reasoning for applying to particular programs and justify my interests not just to admissions committees, POIs, peers, but to myself, too. Don't get me wrong; I was completely devastated. haha. But now I am much more satisfied with my decision to pursue social welfare work and work from a systems-change worldview than I would have been focusing on individual psychopathology. Already I am seeing a drastic difference in my acceptance/interview pile. Good luck!

a/r/w/unknown
1/0/1/9

Edited by Uberwelt