parsneezy

2 hours ago, canypa said:

Which professor do you want to work with at UCLA? When you emailed the professor what was the tone and what did you ask? How did they respond? I'm also waiting to hear from UCLA so trying to give that last push! Thanks!

I was also not offered admissions to Penn, good luck with Columbia! 

I spoke with Dr. Franke. We were supposed to connect before I applied and never did. I sent him an email asking if we could set up a time next week to talk more about the work he is Doing and communities he works in. And he responded about five minutes later saying of course when would work for me. So we set up a time and exchanged numbers. My mentor said that with the professors you should always follow up with them so I figured reaching it wouldn't be too terrible. If it's your first time talking to them introduce yourself and the work you are interested in and how it aligns with theirs and a copy of your CV. Who are you hoping to work with?

On 2/9/2017 at 8:49 PM, Tuck1 said:

I spoke with Dr. Franke. We were supposed to connect before I applied and never did. I sent him an email asking if we could set up a time next week to talk more about the work he is Doing and communities he works in. And he responded about five minutes later saying of course when would work for me. So we set up a time and exchanged numbers. My mentor said that with the professors you should always follow up with them so I figured reaching it wouldn't be too terrible. If it's your first time talking to them introduce yourself and the work you are interested in and how it aligns with theirs and a copy of your CV. Who are you hoping to work with?

Thats awesome! I'm hoping to work with Dr. Holloway. I spoke with him via phone in December so I can't really find a reason to reconnect with him now. If you or anyone else has any suggestion on how to reconnect after already speaking in December please let me know! 

20 hours ago, olayak said:

Has anyone applied to DSW programs? There are some great programs out there, I'm really surprised that there are no DSW applicants on this forum! 

I'm considering applying to USC's DSW program actually! It seems like its very research-practitioner focused which is awesome. 

21 hours ago, olayak said:

Has anyone applied to DSW programs? There are some great programs out there, I'm really surprised that there are no DSW applicants on this forum! 

I think DSW programs are great! Personally I didn't go that route for several reasons. They don't tend to be funded and I can't imagine taking on paying for this myself; they don't have the research focus; and some R1 universities are hesitant to hire those with a DSW. I would love to be a tenure track professor someday and while that is possible with a DSW, it is easier to navigate that path with a PhD. 

1 hour ago, canypa said:

Thats awesome! I'm hoping to work with Dr. Holloway. I spoke with him via phone in December so I can't really find a reason to reconnect with him now. If you or anyone else has any suggestion on how to reconnect after already speaking in December please let me know! 

I'm considering applying to USC's DSW program actually! It seems like its very research-practitioner focused which is awesome. 

Hmmmm you might be able to have a follow up conversation about something you talked about? Maybe ask a question or say you had an idea about something. That one is a little harder. You can always send a follow up email saying thanks for speaking with me. But that one might be a bit late. I'm not sure on this one 

9 hours ago, flowerthor said:

I saw someone's post on the "Results" page about getting accepted into UW's PhD program. So I'm assuming if you haven't heard back then it's a no?

Oh jeez, I hope not. I spoke with folks there on Friday and it didn't sound like they had made their decisions yet.

I also just checked the results page and I don't see anything from UW? Strange.

Edited by Emarouk

2 hours ago, Emarouk said:

Oh jeez, I hope not. I spoke with folks there on Friday and it didn't sound like they had made their decisions yet.

I also just checked the results page and I don't see anything from UW? Strange.

Yes I hope not too. But if you search "Social Welfare" in the results, it comes up. Also saw that someone got an interview with them back in Jan. :(

7 minutes ago, flowerthor said:

Yes I hope not too. But if you search "Social Welfare" in the results, it comes up. Also saw that someone got an interview with them back in Jan. :(

Ugh. At this point I just want the wait to be OVER. 

I did get impatient and email someone on the steering committee on Friday.... she told me that she didn't think all the decisions would be out until mid or even late February so maybe we can still hold out hope? I agree though--it's tough to not lose a little hope.... Also please don't say the results will be out "mid-February, maybe earlier" unless you KNOW they are coming out before 2/15.....because that's just cruel. Ha.

@flowerthor maybe this will be helpful to you too. " You are not bothering me at all.  Thank you for your inquiry regarding your application and for your patience.  We are currently in the deliberation process and we hope to have decisions made by next week, since the director of the program is out of town. I'm also happy that you applied and I will let you know of the results as soon as they are confirmed. "

I just found out that UW extended the deadline. I didn't know as I submitted mine in Nov. Do you think this means that the number of applicants were not as many as other years? Just asking to hold little hope....

BTW, I applied UW, USC, Michigan, Maryland, and other two schools with public policy major (Chicago and Duke). I've already got a reject from Berkeley but never heard from any other schools....

Does anyone know when will University of Toronto social work PhD results come out? 

I am anxious now bec'z I REALLY saw someone post the admission was offered (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=university+of+toronto+social+work&t=a&o=&p=1)

However, my application result is still unknown for me.....Gosh........

Anyone has the similar situation?

Edited by royerful00

32 minutes ago, royerful00 said:

Does anyone know when will University of Toronto social work PhD results come out? 

I am anxious now bec'z I REALLY saw someone post the admission was offered (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=university+of+toronto+social+work&t=a&o=&p=1)

However, my application result is still unknown for me.....Gosh........

Anyone has the similar situation?

No news might be good news? 

Although, I understand this likely causes some anxiety. I have been trawling through old results (not UoT specific) and some people appear to get their before others. 

4 minutes ago, Orange_Juice said:

No news might be good news? 

Although, I understand this likely causes some anxiety. I have been trawling through old results (not UoT specific) and some people appear to get their before others. 

Ya.....I hope no news might be good news..... the waiting game is really like a torture......

Have been following this forum and this thread for some time, and the posts have been really helpful.

I'll complete my public policy degree in Singapore, in May this year. I applied to five schools: Berkeley (social welfare), UPenn (social welfare), UCLA (social welfare), Duke (public policy), and Columbia (social work).

I was rejected from Berkeley (Feb 7) and UPenn (Feb 10), and received an acceptance to UCLA (Feb 14). Waiting to hear from Duke and Columbia.

41 minutes ago, guanyinmiao said:

Have been following this forum and this thread for some time, and the posts have been really helpful.

I'll complete my public policy degree in Singapore, in May this year. I applied to five schools: Berkeley (social welfare), UPenn (social welfare), UCLA (social welfare), Duke (public policy), and Columbia (social work).

I was rejected from Berkeley (Feb 7) and UPenn (Feb 10), and received an acceptance to UCLA (Feb 14). Waiting to hear from Duke and Columbia.

Congrats on your acceptance! Are you the one that posted your acceptance to UCLA? I ask because I'm wondering if everyone received their acceptance yesterday or not. Anyway any tips or suggestions from your application for those of us that might have to apply again next year? Thanks!